JoeR

Keeping the Toons Looking Great

398 posts in this topic

No lift at the marina ,in fact I just got the bill .They put a note in with the bill that ,they have a covered slip that has opened up ,for another  grand a season . No Thanks , I can cover my boat .

Jack, what's your open one cost? Our is like $640 for the season. I agree, it's not worth another 1k to me, but if it was like 6k vs. 7k, that would be food for thought.

Open is $1500 ,covered is $2500 .

I moved to the west side of the docks this season 

New Slip 

IMG 0142

This no baloney ,This  is the only other marina in the area .It is over 100 years old and looks like if is falling down .
As you can see in the pic ,an arch or tower could not even get in .

ryde4.jpg

So can you get to Burt & Mullet lake off of your lake? Looks like a lock going up to Burt from yours. If so, you got some awesome coverage of lakes from there.

I'm guessing your docks on the right side of this pic?

f5b8919d1c81367425aed385cfec5acf.jpg

Last year I was on the right . This year we moved over .

In this pick the docks are not in yet . Actually they extend to 50 slips .

They use a bubbler on the ones shown in the winter

So can you get to Burt & Mullet lake off of your lake? Looks like a lock going up to Burt from yours. If so, you got some awesome coverage of lakes from there.

If needed we can get all they way to Lake Huron .

I have been told ,years ago they wanted to connect Lake Michigan to Crooked Lake .

They would have dug a channel on the east end of Little Traverse Bay ,to Round Lake and another to connect Round to Crooked .

400px-Inland_Waterway_US_MI.svg.png

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/inlandwater/index.html

Just another testament to Sharkhide, this was my Q25 that I traded off last fall for the new one. This is how the boat looked after two seasons of use in the water. Other than a frequent wash with lake water and a few touch-up spots over the course of two seasons, no other work was needed to keep it looking nice.

As far as polishing the inside of the tubes, I've never done that. It would be an incredible amount of work that no one would ever see.

Polishing and Sharkhide will not prevent scum build up on the toons. To eliminate any build-up, just a frequent wet wipe down ( about once a month) with lake water will prevent any build-up.

2012 08 03 20 05 21 26

2 people like this

Love the pics -- good validation of spending the $$ on the sharkhide.

Great feedback by all, This is why this group and site is one of the best out there. 

Best "Short Winter" Regards

Joe

1 person likes this

Last Spring (I live in Michigan) I used Gord's polish then Sharkhide protectant.  My toons ended up much nicer than they were (had a very dull look prior...no shine at all) but this year I'm going to use Sharkhide polish as well (instead of the Gord's) and see how that works.  That Gord's is liquid and man what a mess (although I did prepare for that).  The Sharkhide is thicker so I am hoping for less of a mess and improved shine.  We will see.

The Sharkhide metal protectant is easy as pie to apply and made post-season cleanup (to remove the thin layer of slime) effortless.

Where you been Keith? Haven't seen you on here in a while.............Did you ever get those old corner cleats off?

Hibernating with the rest of the humans up here....lol.  My 2 year old twins keep me quite busy as well!  :wacko:

Did you ever get those old corner cleats off??????

I never found anyone who could tell me how to do it so I took it to the largest Bennington dealer in Michigan (Wilson Marine) and they did it for me.  He said he had to remove that metal stripping underneath.  It took HIM an hour or more to do it with all the right tools and everything so I'm glad I didn't mess with it anymore than I did.  He put the same cleats on the stern that I had put on myself on the bow (the nice new large ones that say Bennington on the top) so now all 4 are new.  Sure looks nice....really nice.  My 1/2 inch dock line will easily slip through the middle of the cleat opening as well.

I just ordered my first Bennington, but neglected to get the factory Sharkhide. After reading this forum I sure wish I had.  Any reason to not call the dealer and see if it can still be added?  It sure seems like everyone here is a big fan.  

Oh I would def. call them and see if it can be added.  No question.

yep, give em a wake up call first thing !

Jlsusa,What did you order?

Keith, you literally drove by my house to get to Wilson. I'm just down Grand River from them.

I just ordered my first Bennington, but neglected to get the factory Sharkhide. After reading this forum I sure wish I had.  Any reason to not call the dealer and see if it can still be added?  It sure seems like everyone here is a big fan.  

If your build date has not been scheduled ,there should be no reason they cant add it . Even if it is scheduled they should be able to add it ,some dealers apply it also .

Should be no reason you can't do that yourself.

Myself I don't have a way to apply it . It is kept at a marina ,no trailer ,and neither of our vehicles is capable of towing .

By the time  I rented a trailer ,and asked some one to bring it to my house ,I may as well let the marina apply in the spring when it comes out of storage .

Keith,

Don't waste your time and effort with Sharkhide polish. It's a pretty good polish but it will make a mess just a great as Gords. Been There, Done That... I polished my first pontoon with Sharkhide polish, it was a big, messy job, but after many passes I did achieve an OK shine. My next pontoon I switched to Gords, still messy, but seemed to achieve a shine a little faster.

Since those first two polish jobs, I started experimenting with other techniques and products for polishing aluminum. Over the past few years, I would take milled finish, sheet aluminum and polish them with various products and methods. After polishing, I would apply Sharkide protectant and place the in the lake. At times, I would pull them out of the lake, test chemical cleaners on them to try to destroy or distort the Sharkhide protectant. After a two seasons, the Sharkhide protectant has not failed, but there is a noticeable difference in the underlying polish job.

What I have found through all the experimentations is the best way to polish the tubes to a flawless mirror finish with the least amount of mess and labor. I truly believe the only way to polish the tubes is with a machine buffing wheel and rouge. I have been using Zephyr as my supply source for all things buffing and they can supply you with the proper wheels and rouge to get the job done fast and clean. The website is zephyrpro40.com.

What used to be a big messy task with just average results has now turned into a quick, methodical process to bring out the very best finish prior to applying Sharkhide protectant. The better the underlying finish, the easier it is to maintain if you ever need to touch up the Sharkhide in the future.

I am currently in the process of preparing my new 2014 for the water this spring. I will post up a couple of pictures from my polishing results this last Sunday.

1 person likes this

Wow....thanks for the tip.  I guess I'll stick with the Gord's then and the Sharkhide protectant afterwards....just like last year.  I am wondering though....we do have a huge truck stop about 30 minutes from where I live along I-94 just West of Ann Arbor.  Should I take it there and have them properly clean the tubes first?  My boat is a 2005 so I know I'm not gonna get them perfect and they already look way better than they did before last season but I'd like to get them a little better and I think that's a possibility.