4 replies to this topic

#1 doug

doug

Deck Hand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

This is my first pontoon experience and also my first Yamaha outboard. I have a dumb question.

When I push the throttle foreward to 3/4-full and let go of it, the throttle returns to almost neutral. Kind of like the old motorcycle throttles used to do. If I want to run wide open I have to hold the throttle forward the whole time.

My other boating buddies have never had an engine to do this.

Is this normal or does it need an adjustment?

I bought the rig used.

Thanks.

#2 ericscher

ericscher

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBuckeye Lake, Ohio

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Is this normal?

No.

Whether it's an adjustment or a replacement issue I couldn't say.
This is the captain. We're having a little problem with our docking sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

#3 Geoffrey & Brenda

Geoffrey & Brenda

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLawrence Kansas

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Doug, there is a throttle tension adjustment screw, look on the underside of the throttle housing for a pop out cap, there is a hex screw under the cap for adjusting tension. Tighten it up a little at a time until the throttle feels right, don't go any tighter than needed. Hope this helps :)

#4 RedRaiderTooner

RedRaiderTooner

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

My F115 does the same thing at about 3000 rpm's, and the throttle moves the engine back to 1900. Once I get to about 3500 RPM's, it stays put. I will have this addressed during my service visit. Good info!

Will
Decatur, TX

Tow Vehicle - 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 2WD

The Benny - 2011 22' SLi, Black with raised Chrome letters, Yamaha F115, Stainless Steel Prop, Sony M6 with Kicker speakers, tilt steering wheel with reclining Captains chair, Stainless Steel Docking lights, Teak table, lighted cup holders, Blue Ice Bimini top, 32' Elliptical Pontoons, Portable Cup holders, Battery Switch, Ski Tow Bar, Roadrunner Tandem Trailer with Spare..

#5 Wild and Free

Wild and Free

Commodore

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationLake Sakakawea & Missouri river Of ND

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:43 AM

Doug, there is a throttle tension adjustment screw, look on the underside of the throttle housing for a pop out cap, there is a hex screw under the cap for adjusting tension. Tighten it up a little at a time until the throttle feels right, don't go any tighter than needed. Hope this helps :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Had the same issue with my last boat when it was new. Took a couple minutes to tighten up as posted above.
2011 2250 GCW ESP. Black, infloor storage, 59 gallon in tube fuel tank. Full vinyl floor with snap in carpet, rough water package, 20 inch transom, Sony stereo & Kicker speakers, moveable bow seat, LED lit bimini, 2007 Yamaha 150 4 stroke with 14.5X15 stainless yamaha reliance prop 38 mph @5700 rpm trim at about 3/4 up under half tank of fuel and 2 people, 2008 shorelandr 3 bunk trailer with ez slides on the bunks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users