Jacob Dixon

Yamaha F200 (not digital)

6 posts in this topic

I just purchased a new 2017 Bennington SSRX with a Yamaha F200 (which i'm told isn't digital.. the one I got). I want to connect it to my Lowrance HDS-7. I'm getting some mixed data online about what exactly is needed so I had a couple questions:

• Do I need a single cable to go from the engine to the NMEA 2000 port on my Lowrance HDS-7?
  • Do I have to convert it to digital first and then go to the Lowrance?

Just wanted some opinions if anyone has done this with the F-series engines 

From what I've been able to comprehend, the engine should have a "standard" connector (stock gauges have to get reading from something). So from what I understand, you "don't" have command link (digital?) but there should still be a connector to get "analog?" readings. See here for a simple setup with or without command link. link. http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowrance/Documents/NMEA/Yamaha_Engine_NMEA2000_Connection.pdf

13 hours ago, SEMPERFI8387 said:

From what I've been able to comprehend, the engine should have a "standard" connector (stock gauges have to get reading from something). So from what I understand, you "don't" have command link (digital?) but there should still be a connector to get "analog?" readings. See here for a simple setup with or without command link. link. http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowrance/Documents/NMEA/Yamaha_Engine_NMEA2000_Connection.pdf

It is a little confusing to me too. I *THINK* I just need the Yamaha-to-NMEA adapter and the NMEA Starter kit to create the network. So the Yamaha-to-NMEA adapter goes into the NMEA network and so does the Lowrance.

I believe the starter kit is to add more than one thing though. If only using the Lowrance, I think you just need the Yamaha cable. I believe the network just allows you to use the t's for multiple displays. 

On 11/14/2016 at 6:07 PM, SEMPERFI8387 said:

I believe the starter kit is to add more than one thing though. If only using the Lowrance, I think you just need the Yamaha cable. I believe the network just allows you to use the t's for multiple displays. 

I wasn't 100% because the documentation says the network is required. I really wish these dealers knew more about this stuff!

I ended up getting it wired but don't get how many gallons are left in the fuel tank.

Here is all I needed:

That was it! Interface cable connects directly to a plug in the engine. To get digital trim there was two cables taped with yellow cable (one had a pink cable). I just untapped them, took the caps off and connected them together.