mbhenry1955

Ethanol VS Non-Ethanol Fuels and Sta-bil Marine 360

55 posts in this topic

Marine gas is supposed to be exempt from some tax in some states. However filling out the forms just are not worth it in many cases. Some states have taxes on gas related to maintaining roads, this doesn't apply to boats but you have to keep records and go thru a big hassle to get any money back.

When we work in PA we always fill up in OH before we enter.  And why can I not buy beer at a C-store.  Politics?

5 hours ago, Remediation said:

When we work in PA we always fill up in OH before we enter.  And why can I not buy beer at a C-store.  Politics?

Yes, old law. It's really changing now though. I read it was a law that beer could not be sold within a certain distance from fuel pumps and had to have separate entrance/register for beer sales. No convenience store was willing to spend that kind of money just to sell some beer. Laws are changing and now, so you can buy six packs at distributors (use to be 12 pack minimum), and on Sundays now  too!! 

One of our crazy "Pa." laws. It's legal to purchase fireworks in the state of Pa. UNLESS YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF PA. Yes, you read that right. Come visit me and you can buy a thousand bucks worth of fireworks. Me, I can only buy sparklers and smoke bombs ...... :blink:

Where as in Iowa...You can buy hard liquer at the gas stations.

I'm confused, have I been drinking beer and liquor with or without ethanol ? Damn laws!

1 person likes this

Ok, we have beer drive thrus in OH. yup drive thru a long garage full of beer, get it and go, chips and such too.  Fireworks, I can buy here, have to sign that I will go out of state to set them off though.  Politics is so dumb. 

I have the Yamaha F200 digital control engine on my new boat. Yamaha's website says 89 octain for this engine but 87 for all the other F200 I looked at. My marina has 87 non ethanol gas and my dealer says 87 is fine. Any opinions from any of you?

I run 89. I'm pretty sure all F200's need 89. That was my impression. I'll have to check my manual again.

I run 90 with No Ethanol 

On Yamaha's website if you compare the inline 4 F200 to the 3.3 V6 F200 and the Vmax F200 it says 89 for the inline 4 and 87 for the other 2. My dealer says his info shows 87 for all. I guess I'm wondering if an octain difference of 2 is that big of a deal and in the remote case I have an issue will Yamaha tell me to pound sand because I was running 87. 

Going to the gas station with multiple cans will be a giant PITA. 

On January 15, 2017 at 6:14 AM, SEMPERFI8387 said:

You got that right. I can't imagine some of you guys (and gals) fuel bills in a season. We run ours 100+ hours a season and maybe spend $300-$350 in boat fuel for the season. 

Doesn't matter.................. if it needs gas..............FILL IT UP!!!

17 hours ago, Steve said:

On Yamaha's website if you compare the inline 4 F200 to the 3.3 V6 F200 and the Vmax F200 it says 89 for the inline 4 and 87 for the other 2. My dealer says his info shows 87 for all. I guess I'm wondering if an octain difference of 2 is that big of a deal and in the remote case I have an issue will Yamaha tell me to pound sand because I was running 87. 

Going to the gas station with multiple cans will be a giant PITA. 

Per the owners manual it's 89 for the F200. That's what I've always put in mine.

I ran 91 no ethanol in my  Yamaha F200 and will do the same with the new Yamaha 300XCA.  

My Honda manual says to use 86 or higher octane fuel with no more than10% Ethanol.

So I think by that specification in the manual that I should be able to run almost anything.

On 1/15/2017 at 5:14 AM, SEMPERFI8387 said:

You got that right. I can't imagine some of you guys (and gals) fuel bills in a season. We run ours 100+ hours a season and maybe spend $300-$350 in boat fuel for the season. 

I'll have to look it up, but from memory we ran a little less than 100 hours last season, and spent around $500 in gas.  You must run full throttle a lot?  Wait, stupid question.  You have a 20, so of course you go full throttle a lot. You have to!  Ha ha.  Sorry Semp, couldn't resist that one.

Go ahead, make fun of my first motor being a 115 and me not listening to the wisdom of the forum...

2 people like this

Also with a 115 Kaydano;  yea all bow down before me for I am the King of all idiots

WOW,a little hard on yourself! You didn't have all this wisdom available to you Link,while you made your purchase.I think everyone will pardon your decision on the 115.

7 hours ago, Link said:

Also with a 115 Kaydano;  yea all bow down before me for I am the King of all idiots

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, kaydano said:

I'll have to look it up, but from memory we ran a little less than 100 hours last season, and spent around $500 in gas.  You must run full throttle a lot?  Wait, stupid question.  You have a 20, so of course you go full throttle a lot. You have to!  Ha ha.  Sorry Semp, couldn't resist that one.

Hell yeah, we always go full throttle ...... if not the wind pushes us backwards ... :lol:

2 people like this

I used 10% etanol in my 2003 Mercury 90 HP. This motor is notorious for having carburetor problems because the jets are so small they plug easily. I had no issues ever. However, ethanol has a tendency to disintegrate fuel lines over time. So if you are forced into using ethanol you need to change the fue line every few years. That is my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, SEMPERFI8387 said:

Hell yeah, we always go full throttle ...... if not the wind pushes us backwards ... :lol:

I don't laugh out loud much at things I read, but I did that one!  Thanks for the laugh.

I thought full throttle was the only position besides idle!! Man I have a ton to learn yet!!! :) 

We run hi test, non ethanol. I don't look at the cost too much.... I'd probably cry if I knew exactly how much I spend on gas or boating for that matter, I find it easier to lump sum it for the accountant!

On 2/8/2017 at 7:34 AM, lakeliving said:

Per the owners manual it's 89 for the F200. That's what I've always put in mine.

My F200 manual says 86 minimum.  I always buy from the marina and they have 89.  

I also spent a lot of time researching non vs ethanol fuels.  It was my understanding that both Yamaha and Mercury manuals say it's ok to use 10% ethanol.  At least they did two years or so ago when I did my research.   My conclusion was the same as myv10, it's the fuel lines and other similar components that deteriorate and eventually get into the outboard causing problems.  That my two cents worth.

1 person likes this