MrG

Boat Flashlights

24 posts in this topic

Hey what is everyone using for a quick easy flashlight.  I have the opinion more is better in this department. And because I'm not going to be the only only holding or using it and it can easily end up in the water, I don't feel like spending $200 on a Elzetta flashlight to have tucked away in every cubbyhole :)  I have bought these cheep flashlights. I get them on Amazon. They have a Adjustable beam that works awesome Spot to Flood. They also have 5 modes like Low & High power & Strobe & SOS. You can get 2 of them for as low as $15 and the light output is great. And hey if they accidentally get lost or find their way to Davy Jones locker "Who Cares" 

$14 for 2 of them as of today!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1L3TAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

What are you guys using?

1 person likes this

I keep a couple of cheap-o lights similar to those, probably something from the auto parts counter.  Also, a rechargeable spot.  

1 hour ago, MrG said:

What are you guys using?

I will be using these now.  They look really nice, particularly for the price.  Thanks for the tip! 

I'm old school. I still have an old Q beam that has been passed on from 3 boats already. Still works great !

It would be nice to find a mount for these inexpensive lights. Right now they just take up room in the various storage spaces and when needed you have to dig for them. The big bulky Mag Lights have a specific Mag Light holder. It nice because you can then mount the flash light in a easy to see and get to space. If anyone has a Idea or a source please let us know. 

These are all I have ever seen and these are for the Large Mag lights they will not work with the smaller LED lights I'm working with 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00002N9ER/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489681464&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=maglite+holders&dpPl=1&dpID=51Y%2Bl0e6WZL&ref=plSrch

21 minutes ago, MrG said:

It would be nice to find a mount for these inexpensive lights. Right now they just take up room in the various storage spaces and when needed you have to dig for them. The big bulky Mag Lights have a specific Mag Light holder. It nice because you can then mount the flash light in a easy to see and get to space. If anyone has a Idea or a source please let us know. 

These are all I have ever seen and these are for the Large Mag lights they will not work with the smaller LED lights I'm working with 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00002N9ER/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489681464&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=maglite+holders&dpPl=1&dpID=51Y%2Bl0e6WZL&ref=plSrch

There are a variety of RAM type mounts out there. Law enforcement people use them quite a lot so if you search tactical flashlight, lots of options.

Here is a source for one flavor Flashlight mounts

Tom thanks for the Link. But the RAM mounts are not the style I was talking about. I don't want to permanently mount or hold a flash light in a fixed position. Looking for somthing that holds the flashlight and it can quickly and easily be taken off and replaced. 

1 hour ago, MrG said:

Here are different size clips:  CLIPS

1 person likes this

cwag that's what I was talking about thanks. I'm not Intrested in drilling and screwing into anything on boat but Some nice 3M double sided trim tape will hold those down real nice.  On that note I use the 3M trim tape (this stuff is industrial strength) "as a try it out" thing. You can mount something and try it out and if you like it you can bolt it down or if it Dosent work out you can move it with zero evidence & try another location. Here it is. All trim tape is not the same. This stuff hold great. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003YNIS5Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1489687570&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3m+trim+tape

Stream light Protac 3. 1200 lumens, 3 CR123 batteries. High/strobe/low. One tough light.

Hey I wanted to update my Orignal post. 

These cheep-0 flash lights are super bright and "worked" great. I say worked because both of them ended up having issues and both of them ended up broken. I blame it on the 5 way on/off switch. I became quite dependent on these bright little lights for night time navigation. Out here in california our lakes are nice and full and we have been experiencing higher then normal floating debris. Having a flash light close by is great so you can spot anything that looks out of the norm late at night. The thing you don't need is to grab a light and hit the switch and you have nothing. Well that's what kept on happing. I threw both away so I wouldn't be grabbing them in a jam and having nothing anymore. 

I decided the 5 way on off switch that takes you threw the different modes" that you don't need or want" was that cause of the problem. I bought a light that has a simple on/off switch. When going there amazon it looks like many of the different brand lights all use the same 5 way switch. I just went with one that didn't have the 5 way. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MA5KM3K/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these lights "for the price" are un touchable. But if they are un reliable then what good are they? 

Still looking for a mount for these lights so if you see one post up a link please

That's a intresting light and at 4000 Lumans it's 4x the power of the cheepo's I posted a link of. Honestly the cheepo's work or Provide quite a bit of light and I was super surprised at how well they worked for a $10 flashlight. The fact that your not afraid to drop or loose or give away a light is also cool. The buddy that turned me on to these buys them by the case and gives them away as Christmas presents. 

Costco has a two pack generic brand led for sale... bought one for the lake house and boat... really bright led beam that is adjustable... almost as good as my surefires that I use at work.

After my last light failed and I threw it away. I posted my experience as a review on Amazon. Yesterday I was contacted by the company that sells or makes them. They offered me 2 new lights if I was to change my review. I told them send me the lights and if they are better and don't fail I will change my review. On Amazon You can modify your review. I plan to keep the review the same and update it that "I received replacement lights but the jury is still out" . At least the customer service is good!!!!  

Its funny how "customer reviews" are a large part of a Amazon Vendors business. Of all the bad reviews i have had to give this is the first guy that offerd to send new items no questions asked. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, MrG said:

After my last light failed and I threw it away. I posted my experience as a review on Amazon. Yesterday I was contacted by the company that sells or makes them. They offered me 2 new lights if I was to change my review. I told them send me the lights and if they are better and don't fail I will change my review. On Amazon You can modify your review. I plan to keep the review the same and update it that "I received replacement lights but the jury is still out" . At least the customer service is good!!!!  

Its funny how "customer reviews" are a large part of a Amazon Vendors business. Of all the bad reviews i have had to give this is the first guy that offerd to send new items no questions asked. 

Interesting! Glad to see you're not willing to totally change the review until you see if anything has really changed.

1 person likes this

^^^ yes if they just send 2 new lights and they fail just like the Orignal ones did. Why would you change anything. Fake or in accurate reviews don't help anyone. I think many of the reviews on places like Amazon are questionable. 

2 people like this

22 hours ago, MrG said:

That's a intresting light and at 4000 Lumans it's 4x the power of the cheepo's I posted a link of. Honestly the cheepo's work or Provide quite a bit of light and I was super surprised at how well they worked for a $10 flashlight. The fact that your not afraid to drop or loose or give away a light is also cool. The buddy that turned me on to these buys them by the case and gives them away as Christmas presents. 

Yes, my brother in law is a LEO, which is why I had originally looked at the Nitecore, for him seeing is living! For me to use to pick up dog poo at night is a little harder to justify!  Haha hence why I haven't bought one yet

3 people like this

Well True to his word he sent me 2 new lights no questions asked. They look exactly the same to me. I will try them out.

one person had asked what the semi clear plastic tube that comes with the light is its listed a 18650 Plastic Tube. It's a spacer for the 18650 Lithium battery that you can run. You can either use 3 AAA batteries or 1 18650 Lithium. I wonder if and when you run the Lithium battery if the light is brighter??. I was tempted to buy a a few but then I ran across a few more lights on my battery quest that made me say Humm I should buy that light. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XG4JRYX/ref=aw_pd_cart_vw_1_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PRCRKYMHHBSE296AYPYD

O well this one is $24 + you need 3 Lithium batterys $8 says it's 3800 Lumens. That's like 4x as bright as the Orignal ones I posted. I will let you know how it works out. 

I have always heard that flash lights can be a addiction. I always thought guys with a bunch of flashlights were a bit strange. So I find myself being hypocritical. :) I got a new light in today. $25 one I posted a link of and as expected it like 4times as bright. But the way it works is a bummer. you have the traditional switch at the bottom of the flash light. You click that Nothing happens. Then at the head of the flashlight they have. 2nd switch that selects MODE you need to hit that as well to get the flash light to turn on 2 thumbs down. O well the quest continues 

It's good to know I'm not the only one with an addiction. I have a ton of different ones. Goes all the way back to original mag lites with AA to the triple D cell club .... :D  Amazon LEDs, RYOBI, and some other brand I grabbed at HD. My wife questioned why I have so many ..... never had an answer, but when the power goes out, she understands ..... ;)

Fortunately I have had good luck this year and have spent many nights out past dark. That's when using these lights to navigate makes them worth their $. The small zoomable pocket lights work great for in and around the house. You don't need long distance when trying to see what went bump in the night. But it sure is nice to be able to reach out across the water and pick out potential dangers when moving across the water at night. I'm looking forward to doing a $25 3 cell flashlight shoot out with the 2 different ones I have. 1 is a 4led 4000 Lumen light and the other is a 12led 10000 Lumen  light. I should see a pretty good difference. I can say with out a doubt that their is quite a noticeable difference between the $10 zoomable 1 led 1000 lumen cheep o and the 4led 4000 3cell light. I'm hopeful that the 12led 10000 lumen light will be just as impressive. Stay tuned. BTW I did a quick look onncraigs list for flashlights OMG these cheepo's have destroyed the market for high end lights. Guys selling $200 surefires on Craig's list. You know how many cheepo's I can buy for $25 that are good for the average user.  Disclaimer, if my life depends on a light. Then by all means Elezetta or Surefire all the way no expence spaired. But for camping and boating and letting people you don't trust handle a $200 light over the water, ummm the cheepo's are just fine :)

2 people like this