Dev75

Inflator for Tube

13 posts in this topic

I'm not happy with our air pump  - anyone suggest a good fast air pump?   Along with that question,  am I basically limiting myself to pumps that connect directly to the battery with clips if I want to inflate the tube quickly and to full capacity?

Overtons has a good line of pumps.  I have a 120v model that is very fast, but I also have an inverter on my boat for the 120.  Usually, the 12v models were a little underperforming compared to the 120v.  You can also plug into the 12v power port.

1 person likes this

I purchased one that is used to inflate rubber boats. I think I spent about $75 on it but it does draw about 30 amps which required a special connector and hook-up to my battery to make it easy. It inflates a large two person raft in about a minute or so. Looks kind of like this one but a little better built. 

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/obrien-high-pressure-12-volt-inflator/?gclid=CNHLn9CL_NMCFZeEaQodBH8CKA

1 person likes this

We live on the water, so a bit different approach, but I use a small shop vac in blow mode to get it inflated and deflated quickly to ~90-95% on land, then use the 12v Overton's type on the boat to top it off and tight as needed.

4 people like this

I have one that looks like a mini hair dryer that I have had for years. May have gotten it from target. Less than $20. Plugs into the accessory plug but came with an adapter that clipped to the battery. 

Pumps pretty fast, at least better than a reciprocating compressor. 

2 people like this

53 minutes ago, TomS said:

We live on the water, so a bit different approach, but I use a small shop vac in blow mode to get it inflated and deflated quickly to ~90-95% on land, then use the 12v Overton's type on the boat to top it off and tight as needed.

I also use  a shop vac ,since we have close access to electricity at our marina . 2 gallon works fine ,never been used for anything but inflatables 

2 people like this

I don't have a pic but we use a Coleman w/ 12v cigarette lighter plug. It came with my Bayliner package and it's fantastic! I'll try get a model number off it this weekend. Edit: Here's the one I have, plenty of pressure

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-12V-QuickPump-Electric-Air-Pump/9870593

Edited by adkboater
Add link
2 people like this

Thanks for the responses.  Never thought a pump could be so hit or miss depending on what you buy.  The one we have now is 12v but seems to take about 20 min to pump the tube.  

We have a super slice tube and it takes about a minute or two to blow up, swap around the ends and it sucks it flat, fold it up and chuck it in the center storage. 

2 people like this

For as much as we use our pump, it would be nice to permanently install one under a seat, then have one of those whole house vacuum setups where you just plug in the hose. It would be much quieter.

2 people like this

Inverter from harbor freight that's been on the boat for 4 years and a 120 pump from Amazon,  I like its ability to deflate. 

I use a lot of 3 person plus big heavy inflatables. 

1 person likes this