Michiman

Do SS Props Rust?

16 posts in this topic

Up until last year, I've never owned a SS prop. When I put my boat in storage (indoor) last Fall, the prop was as shiny as the day I took delivery. However, when I picked it up in July, I immediately noticed that it had small rust spots all over it. My dealer suggested that that's quite normal as a SS prop does contain metal that is prone to environmental conditions (acid rain, lake water, etc.). 

So, my question is this: Does your SS prop show rust stains like mine?

http://IMG_0937.JPG

Yes SS can rust.

And to think I even waxed it last year! LOL

Mine has no rust (2014) stored inside in the winter ,motor is trimmed up in the slip .

I wax mine also ,when I wax the panels 

Mine does.

20 hours ago, Jack M said:

Mine has no rust (2014) stored inside in the winter ,motor is trimmed up in the slip .

Wasn't there something on here a while back saying you shouldn't wax your prop? I thought it said something about the prop losing some of its "bite" .

42 minutes ago, BulldogsCadillac said:

Wasn't there something on here a while back saying you shouldn't wax your prop? I thought it said something about the prop losing some of its "bite" .

Good Question ,but as much sand that I kick up at the sand bar when the water is low .It cant last 

21 hours ago, Jack M said:

Ditto: trimmed up at the marina and stored indoors over the long Michigan winter. Congratulations on a non-rusty prop! Can you tell I'm a bit envious??

Lots of different kinds of SS.  As in dozens.  I was looking for a good knife once, and was amazed at all the different kinds of SS.  Some rusts.  Some is magnetic while others are not.  Some are very hard (knives).  Some are soft and workable (cut/drill).  Just saying that something is "stainless steel" doesn't really tell you much about what the metal is or how it will perform.  Calling something "stainless" is like calling a cookie a cookie.  Doesn't tell you much.

I think Mercury props advertise their own propriety alloy blend of stainless.  They call it "X" something.  Mine has never rusted far as I know.  Thanks Todd!

UPDATE:  150 grades of SS.  15 are common.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

1 person likes this

Must be a merc thing....my reliance isn't rusty. Oh, and I've never waxed it either.

2 people like this

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 7:19 AM, BulldogsCadillac said:

I recall that.

On 8/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, Rockie69 said:

I recall that.

So rust is even gooder then???

4 hours ago, kaydano said:

More betterer. 

I did a quick check on "the Google" and one of the racing forums were saying that their racing props were usually Satin finished, just to add a little extra bite. I have no experience in the matter, just relaying info.

11 hours ago, BulldogsCadillac said:

More betterer. 

I did a quick check on "the Google" and one of the racing forums were saying that their racing props were usually Satin finished, just to add a little extra bite. I have no experience in the matter, just relaying info.

I only wax my lower unit. Learned from the best.....Link.

1 hour ago, lakeliving said:

I only wax my lower unit. Learned from the best.....Link.

We just took a HARD left turn!

16 hours ago, kaydano said:

Nope, rust would make it badder...er as it's not smooth, but wax is too smooth... I have no clue I just recall somone saying don't wax your prop... or you'll go blind. From the glare Andy...from the glare...JEEZ!

1 person likes this