Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michiman

Be careful out there!

29 posts in this topic

Based upon my conversations with other forum members, I'd have to say that most of us are pretty safe boaters and have a good understanding of the rules of the "road", so to speak. However, I came across this sad story of a life lost on a Michigan lake this past week. I'm guessing that inexperience and perhaps excessive alcohol are at work here.

http://www.9and10news.com/clip/13566037/sand-lake-residents-shaken-up-after-deadly-tubing-accident

5 minutes ago, Michiman said:

Based upon my conversations with other forum members, I'd have to say that most of us are pretty safe boaters and have a good understanding of the rules of the "road", so to speak. However, I came across this sad story of a life lost on a Michigan lake this past week. I'm guessing that inexperience and perhaps excessive alcohol are at work here.

http://www.9and10news.com/clip/13566037/sand-lake-residents-shaken-up-after-deadly-tubing-accident

Just saw this on MLive. Terrible news.

1 person likes this

Sad!

That is terrible. Sounds like the driver of the boat was irresponsible quite often. 

1 person likes this

Sad story,it looks to me that the lake being shown is to small to tube in. At least in the area that is shown on the video.Tubing and skiing should only be done in open areas away from shores and docks. And of coarse,other boats! Please use common sense all.

Here's to a safe ending of the boating season.

3 people like this

Safety is priority #1 when we are on the water!!! Can never be too Safe! Common sense and education is the key.......

I'm sure most of you heard about the runaway Air Nautique on Lake Gage, which is very close to us. It made the national news for all the wrong reasons.

Runaway boat on Lake Gage

It's a miracle no one was killed in this case, but there were plenty of injuries.

I can't stand those who operate a vehicle/boat etc under the influence. They come out unscathed and everyone else is killed or injured. I'm sure this wasn't her boat so dad is probably pissed.

16 hours ago, TomS said:

I'm sure most of you heard about the runaway Air Nautique on Lake Gage, which is very close to us. It made the national news for all the wrong reasons.

It's a miracle no one was killed in this case, but there were plenty of injuries.

Yikes! Tough week out on the water...

We had a guy drown on Norman this week but he was swimming.

21 hours ago, TomS said:

Yup saw this on the national news. Which brings me to my point..........

How many of us actually physically attach the safety lanyard from our Benningtons to our bodies in case of a situation like this?!? If the girl operating the boat was thrown clear and she had the safety lanyard attached to her somehow the boat would have shut off instantly. I always used to wear one when we had our jet skis but I never attach the one on our Benny........

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Yup saw this on the national news. Which brings me to my point..........

How many of us actually physically attach the safety lanyard from our Benningtons to our bodies in case of a situation like this?!? If the girl operating the boat was thrown clear and she had the safety lanyard attached to her somehow the boat would have shut off instantly. I always used to wear one when we had our jet skis but I never attach the one on our Benny........

I definitely looked at mine right after that, but still never attached it... I always hook it up on the Seadoo

1 person likes this

Our Benny does not have a safety lanyard. I have to say, I was a bit surprised when we took possession of her last year and there was none dangling next to the captain's chair. Heck, I thought it was a law that there had to be one, but I guess I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Michiman said:

Our Benny does not have a safety lanyard. I have to say, I was a bit surprised when we took possession of her last year and there was none dangling next to the captain's chair. Heck, I thought it was a law that there had to be one, but I guess I'm wrong.

That doesn't sound right. I've never seen a boat or watercraft without one.

57 minutes ago, cwag911 said:

That doesn't sound right. I've never seen a boat or watercraft without one.

Me neither but I'm about 99.9% sure it doesn't. I'll take a picture this weekend.

1 person likes this

You usually aren't able to start your boat unless you have the lanyard in place.............

We have had a terrible season out here on Lake Havasu. Way too many deaths and accidents. Just in the past three weeks, we have had four fatalities and numerous injuries. I have various rules on my boat to try to avoid issues, but still question how all these issues keep happening.

Cheers, Steve

12 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

You usually aren't able to start your boat unless you have the lanyard in place.............

+1. All my boats have had the lanyard and clip. 

I tested our lanyard for the first time yesterday. Works. Didn't clip it to myself though.

Rule on our boat is the driver always has to have the lanyard on, usually just loop around your leg and forget about it.  Does occasionally get forgotten, both to put on or take back off.  Easy enough habit to get into and a small safety measure we can control.

2 people like this

2 weeks ago at Deep Creek lake we saw 2 rental boats , a pontoon and a run about,{ same family } arrive at the condo docks. The pontoon hit the dock and when a girl went to help, she fell in the lake. Later that day, when trying to dock the pontoon, again ,a girl grabbed a mooring line from the pontoon to assist docking. The operator reversed the pontoon as he was coming into the slip, the girl holding the line was pulled off her feet and almost dragged into the lake. Later the runabout approached the dock at full speed, came off plane approximately 20 feet from the dock and entered the slip sideways. Lucky for him he hit the dock hard enough to stop the boat. But there's more, I was backing my new Benny out of my slip, a fishing charter was directly off my stern about 50 feet out.  I made verbal contact with the operator about my intentions. Everything was good . As I was backing out of the slip, the previously mentioned runabout operator rounded the dock, full throttle with the bow up in the air and came between the fishing charter and me, throwing a huge wake in my direction. I thought I was going to be thrown into the dock, but I accelerated through the wake in reverse. After everyone was done yelling at this idiot, his response was " It was my first time on this boat and the throttle stuck! " Closest I ever came to an accident since I have been boating. Damn rental boats!

2 people like this

Omg I HATE rental boats. Many of them could care less if the renter has any knowledge of how to operate a boat. I had a near miss experience on LOTO. I still can't believe how it all happened.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, myv10 said:

2 weeks ago at Deep Creek lake we saw 2 rental boats , a pontoon and a run about,{ same family } arrive at the condo docks. The pontoon hit the dock and when a girl went to help, she fell in the lake. Later that day, when trying to dock the pontoon, again ,a girl grabbed a mooring line from the pontoon to assist docking. The operator reversed the pontoon as he was coming into the slip, the girl holding the line was pulled off her feet and almost dragged into the lake. Later the runabout approached the dock at full speed, came off plane approximately 20 feet from the dock and entered the slip sideways. Lucky for him he hit the dock hard enough to stop the boat. But there's more, I was backing my new Benny out of my slip, a fishing charter was directly off my stern about 50 feet out.  I made verbal contact with the operator about my intentions. Everything was good . As I was backing out of the slip, the previously mentioned runabout operator rounded the dock, full throttle with the bow up in the air and came between the fishing charter and me, throwing a huge wake in my direction. I thought I was going to be thrown into the dock, but I accelerated through the wake in reverse. After everyone was done yelling at this idiot, his response was " It was my first time on this boat and the throttle stuck! " Closest I ever came to an accident since I have been boating. Damn rental boats!

You should have reported the runabout to the DNR so that they could deal with it. I know that Maryland DNR has been on a campaign to curb bad boating behavior,especially at Deep Creek and Ocean City. Both waterways are extremely crowded during the summer months.

The real problem with rentals is that the operator doesn't need a boaters cert. to rent the boat.What's wrong with that people?

12 hours ago, 1Blderbob said:

You should have reported the runabout to the DNR so that they could deal with it. I know that Maryland DNR has been on a campaign to curb bad boating behavior,especially at Deep Creek and Ocean City. Both waterways are extremely crowded during the summer months.

The real problem with rentals is that the operator doesn't need a boaters cert. to rent the boat.What's wrong with that people?

I did report the incident to the DNR.

1 person likes this