28 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffrey & Brenda

Geoffrey & Brenda

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 835 posts
  • LocationLawrence Kansas

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hi All, i'm new to pontoon boats, but have had ski boats in the past. As many things about pontooning are similar to other types the one thing that crossed my mind is that my old mushroom anchor probably won't do the job. So i am looking for advise from you seasoned pontoon owners, what is the best anchor[s] for my 20' pontoon? Shall we start a poll? We'll look forward to hearing your opinions! Thanks Geoffrey & Brenda

#2 sparkdr220

sparkdr220

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Hi All, i'm new to pontoon boats, but have had ski boats in the past. As many things about pontooning are similar to other types the one thing that crossed my mind is that my old mushroom anchor probably won't do the job. So i am looking for advise from you seasoned pontoon owners, what is the best anchor[s] for my 20' pontoon? Shall we start a poll? We'll look forward to hearing your opinions! Thanks Geoffrey & Brenda

It depends on the ground you are anchoring to. We have a mud bottom and use a fluke type. Hope this helps.

#3 fishcop

fishcop

Deck Hand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Deckhand, I have a 22ft pontoon and I use the "box" anchor. It opens up to form a box and has "teeth" that grab the bottom. I have found that it holds in all types of bottoms and works well in the wind. There are 3 sizes. I have the small size and it works quite well. Hope this helps you some.

#4 hawk00

hawk00

Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationN E Iowa

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

I use a 20LB navy anchor but have 100ft of 5/8 nylon rope attached in case i would need it

#5 Clark

Clark

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWhite Lake, MI

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

I only anchor at our lake's sandbar, and my fluke anchor won't hold on windy days. So I made a T out of 4" PVC and push that into the sand and it holds great, and I can tie to it with a short rope so no swinging into other boats.
2009 2250sl with 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke docked on Cooley Lake in Michigan

#6 DAG

DAG

Deck Hand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Your mushroom anchor should work for a mud bottom lake, but you may need to use a 20lb.:)

#7 skeptic

skeptic

Commodore

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

I just purchased a slide box anchor. It is a little expensive compared to other anchors but the reviews were very good especially for sandy bottom lakes. I think a decent size fluke anchor works pretty well as long as you use a chain with it. Just my .02.
2011 Bennington 2275 GCW
Express Tube Package (3 Tubes), Yamaha F150
Tow Vehicle - 2011 F-150 FX4
US Air Force Retired (85-06)
Kentucky

#8 amr7333

amr7333

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Deckhand, I have a 22ft pontoon and I use the "box" anchor. It opens up to form a box and has "teeth" that grab the bottom. I have found that it holds in all types of bottoms and works well in the wind. There are 3 sizes. I have the small size and it works quite well. Hope this helps you some.

All reviews point to this one being a good one. More dollars, but, works well with all kinds of bottoms. My $0.02.
--------------------------------------------------------
Boat: Bennington 2275 RCW with ESP package.
Motor: Mercury Verado 250

Tow vehicle: 2007 F-250 Ford Powerstroke 4X4 Crewcab

Other: 2001 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2003 Harley Davidson Softail Anniversary Edition

Working on the premise: He who has the most toys wins.

#9 Boomers dad

Boomers dad

Commodore

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationStiwell KS

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

I am also going to try the slide box anchor. I will post the results when I get on the water. Whoo Hoo
2011 Bennington 2275 FSi
150 hp Yamaha w/ESP
2008 Crossroads Seville 5th wheel
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic
Toys Toys Toys
Steve & Dawn

#10 Geoffrey & Brenda

Geoffrey & Brenda

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies, it seems the box style is the favorite. So i'll get on the 'net and do some price shopping. Does the box anchor require a chain like the fluke does?

#11 Fyrfightr

Fyrfightr

Commodore

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:35 AM

I find this anchor to be the best all around.

Here is a link to it.Anchor

Attached Thumbnails

• Anchor.jpg

2011GCW 32" eliptical toons with strakes
115 Merc 4 stroke

#12 kanop44

kanop44

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

I'm learning towards 2 - 18 lb River Anchors for my 20' SLI. I do most my boating on the Huron River & Chain of Lakes in Southeast Michigan.

#13 firsttoon

firsttoon

Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies, it seems the box style is the favorite. So i'll get on the 'net and do some price shopping. Does the box anchor require a chain like the fluke does?

http://www.slideanchor.com/hlm_shopit_productdetails.aspx?id=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688
Here is a link to the website. I bought the large. Be warned the large will make you work when pulling the thing up.

#14 Geoffrey & Brenda

Geoffrey & Brenda

Commodore

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Kinda forgot about this subject, with all the excitement getting out on the new boat. We got the small Slide box anchor, 50' anchor rope. This anchor works great! Was out yesterday, tied up with another toon and a 21' ski boat, just for kicks we pulled the other 2 anchors and the box held us all. In fairness it was not real windy, but when we tried the other toons danforth it let us drift. All in all i was impressed. The box does like to hold some mud, but a little sloshing on the way up cleaned it out pretty quick. Thanks for the input, my vote goes to the box!

#15 Wild and Free

Wild and Free

Commodore

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationLake Sakakawea & Missouri river Of ND

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

Try this addition to any anchor system to make it work even better in choppy water.

http://g-p-a-s.com/
2011 2250 GCW ESP. Black, infloor storage, 59 gallon in tube fuel tank. Full vinyl floor with snap in carpet, rough water package, 20 inch transom, Sony stereo & Kicker speakers, moveable bow seat, LED lit bimini, 2007 Yamaha 150 4 stroke with 14.5X15 stainless yamaha reliance prop 38 mph @5700 rpm trim at about 3/4 up under half tank of fuel and 2 people, 2008 shorelandr 3 bunk trailer with ez slides on the bunks.

#16 skeptic

skeptic

Commodore

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

My box anchor has been working very well. I believe I have the medium size and it's been holding my toon and another 25ft toon.
2011 Bennington 2275 GCW
Express Tube Package (3 Tubes), Yamaha F150
Tow Vehicle - 2011 F-150 FX4
US Air Force Retired (85-06)
Kentucky

#17 Boomers dad

Boomers dad

Commodore

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationStiwell KS

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

Box anchor worked great. Held my boat and a 25 ft bowrider in 15 - 20 mph winds no problem.
2011 Bennington 2275 FSi
150 hp Yamaha w/ESP
2008 Crossroads Seville 5th wheel
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic
Toys Toys Toys
Steve & Dawn

#18 spinzone

spinzone

Commodore

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • LocationWeddington, NC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Here in KY, our lake bottoms are shale with very little mud or sand to set anchor, so I can't speak to those conditions. A friend of mine used the box style anchor with little effectiveness (Our average depth is 90ft). I tried out a few different anchors and found that no matter where I am, the Digger Anchor holds better than all of the others. I also have to use a smaller river anchor to keep my stern from blowing all over the place.
My anchor was the only hook out this past weekend and had 3 go fast boats tied up to me. No one was moving.
2011 Bennington 2275 RCW
Lake Norman, NC

#19 Fasttr

Fasttr

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

I had been using a Chene anchor and even added a 5 foot chain to it and it would drift 50% of the time. We have muddy lake bottoms here in Texas and it should have dug in well but it never seemed to unless I put out 100' of rope in a 20' depth. Based on everyone's recommendation I bought the small box anchor and it sticks like glue. Drop it with a 2:1 rope length and it doesn't budge. Highly recommended.
Boat: 2011 Bennington 22' SSI
Motor: Yamaha 90 four stroke
Slip: Bayview Marina on Lake Ray Hubbard
Tow Vehicle: 2005 Slingshot Yellow Chevrolet SSR

#20 wetvette

wetvette

Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

The anchor that Fyrfightr posted is called a 'RICHTER ANCHOR' and works very well on Lake Cumberland and is the
pontooner's favorite here. It take up less room and fits in a 5 gal. plastic bucket for storage.
Thanks Fyrfighter, this is not a common anchor, but works great for most applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users