115-150

It all comes down to U.S. Coast Guard formulas.

I think Bennington's literature may not be 100% accurate on some of the horsepower ratings on two 32' elliptical toons.

Check with your dealer.

Why s the 115 the biggest engine bennington will put on a 22 ft boat?
It isn't. You can get a 150 on... I think ALL of them. You can go all the way up to a 250 on a 22 footer with ESP and you can also get a 320 horse I/O.

The horsepower issue is a combination of engineering and marketing considerations, just like it is with cars; but buying a boat is more like buying a car back in the 70's... It's not all "packages" like they have now. You can drill down into the option list, which is VERY a la carte, and build yourself a very customized boat.

My 07 22 foot triple tube Benny was rated for a 250 as is my 2011 22 foot ESP.Generally with triple tubes a 115 is the smallest reccomended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 250hp on my 22 foot RCW w/ESP package. Keep asking questions to try and tailor a pontoon to your needs.

Go with the 150 hp and ESP package. My boat is a 20ft with ESP and 150hp and hits 40mph with a light load. It also cruises comfortably at 26mph with a full load and hits 36 to 37 mph with 8 to 10 people on board. I don't think you would regret getting at least a 150 hp! The ESP package is sweet as well. If you get a triple toon with strakes and a wave shield it will be almost as much money. I think it was another 1000 to get ESP. Well worth it! Handles and rides great.

Likely you can. Don't go by the literature or even the website. We bought a 2274 GL today with a 115 but could have purchased a 150. You need to let the dealer do a buildup for you.

The dealer told me the biggest engine on a 22ssi with the express package(2 strakes) was a 115. Do you have to have ESP or twin elliptical to go up to 150?

I just checked the site for specs and it appears as though a 115 hp is the largest motor allowed on a 22 sli. A 2075 g series boat is actually the same exact size as a 22 s series and you can get up to a 150 hp with either the ESP or standard performance package with tripple toons. I have a 2075 gli with ESP and a

150 hp and it is awesome!

You should try looking through the Benningtonmarine.com website. It's been much improved in terms of user friendliness and it pretty useful for shopping.

Why s the 115 the biggest engine bennington will put on a 22 ft boat?
Hi Norsky,

hp calculations are based on deck length, tube length, boat weight, person capacity and several other components that our engineers have to factor in to meet Coast Guard and NMMA standards for safety. The 22' S series has a shorter tube length than the 22' G & R models, so the S is only rated for 115 as a pontoon. To get more hp, move to the G or R series with longer tubes or the 24' S models.

Hope this helps, TB

Last edited:
Hi Norsky,

hp calculations are based on deck length, tube length, boat weight, person capacity and several other components that our engineers have to factor in to meet Coast Guard and NMMA standards for safety. The 22' S series has a shorter tube length than the 22' G & R models, so the S is only rated for 115 as a pontoon. To get more hp, move to the G or R series with longer tubes or the 24' S models.

Hope this helps, TB
Anyone have a good feel for the price difference going from 115 to a 150 $$.

Again, don't forget hydraulic steering (if you don't have it as an option already) for the 150. 115 doesn't need it, but I may be adding it sometime!

Again, don't forget hydraulic steering (if you don't have it as an option already) for the 150. 115 doesn't need it, but I may be adding it sometime!
WHATS WRONG DANO YOU DONT LIKE THE OLD CAR STEERING FEEL LOOK AT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE YOU WONT HAVE TO LIFT WEIGHTS TO GET BUFF LOL

I actually laughed out loud when I read that!

I will have a greatly improved "hand over hand" steering technique by the end of next summer... No figertip steering. Except for going straight.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that!

I will have a greatly improved "hand over hand" steering technique by the end of next summer... No figertip steering. Except for going straight.
i to do not have any assist in the steeering and i have the 150 i am strongly considering the hydraulic steering

I figured I could add it later for about the same price. You probably did the same. I didn't have a chance to test drive boats with and without assist.

I have a 2275 RCW with twin 32" elips and a 150 merc pro xs 150. I am very happy with performance. I cant turn like a ESP equipped boat but I run in the low 40's. with this engine. Its mercs high output 150 putting out near 165hp. The max allowed 10% over hp rating by the boating industry

Todd

Back