115 hp on a SLX 2014 20’

Vinent Marino

Reaction score
I purchased a 20’ SLX with a 70HP
It’s great for my wife and I but with grandkids and adults and towing tubes etc. I’m running high 6000 rpms.
I’d feel a lot better with. 115 but although the Bennington site will let you build your own boat they don’t tell you about the max hp for the boat. I see on the plate of the boat 70HP.
I see all kinds of 20’ pontoons with 115 hp or higher. Any information on this topic would be helpful.

It depends on which hull you get. Not the length of the boat.

The max size on the build a boat site would be the max size they let you choose from the motor list.

Kaydano is spot on. Different manufacturers, different year boats, different transoms, different pontoon hulls all impact the engineering limits of a boat. Length of boat is not the factor to compare between. Whatever the max HP is on boat build (if, if, if the exact same build) is going to be the maximum HP for that boat. My 2 cents is I’d respect that limit.

Seems like the way I have to is sell and move up. It the perfect boat, set up nice. So for now I’ll have to lay low.
Thanks

I purchased a 20’ SLX with a 70HP
It’s great for my wife and I but with grandkids and adults and towing tubes etc. I’m running high 6000 rpms.
I’d feel a lot better with. 115 but although the Bennington site will let you build your own boat they don’t tell you about the max hp for the boat. I see on the plate of the boat 70HP.
I see all kinds of 20’ pontoons with 115 hp or higher. Any information on this topic would be helpful.
Thanks for the info

Deleted my post due to someone taking it upon themselves to edit it. If something was wrong with my post , let me know instead of editing it. That makes it a post under my name not written by me and I think that's a bit of bs for a moderator to pull...

Last edited:
Yes, I going to have to spend the bucks to do it right. It get close on buying vs. this but no matter which way you look at it buying new to do that is a 52,000 proposition. It will be about 16000 with the third tube and the 115. Seems a little overindulgent but I think I'll be satisfied with the result.

Back