115 vs 150 Yamaha

KC24

Reaction score
I have 2011 2275 RL Tri toon with a 115 Yamaha. It does fine with 2 people but it slows considerably with 2 more adults. Im thinking I need a 150?

Our 2275rl with a 150 will do 39 mph with me and with about 8 on it she'll still do 30+.

Don't have the 2275 RL, but the 24slx EPP 2 toons and with a Yamaha 150. Thought I would hit 40 > 42 with 2 people but the best is 39mph per GPS with two 200 lb adults. Carl is hitting 39 with tri-toon is pretty good with a 150 and they do handle better in the turns. When I bought mine I went with the 150HP because a friend of mine had the model you are talking about and wish he would have went with the 150. He said it was hard to pull two tubbers with adults with the 115. One dealer told me 150 was not accually enough for the tri-toon, he would go bigger, but I didn't go that route and whent for the two. It just takes more $$$ to get what you want unfortunately.

Get at least the 150. We sold our last boat because the max was a 115 and it died under a load. You can' theta a Tritoon with 150+ hp.

I saw a UTube.com running a 115 hp Yamaha from a dead start to top speed--on a 24SSLX identical to my boat.

The UTube was showing the tachometer and the speedometer readings. There is a big difference between those two motors on the same hull. The F150 will simply run circles in every way around the F115 motor--and well worth the cost difference.

We ordered a 150 on our 22SLX with SPS based on what we read here and other forums. The 3 pontoons we lake demoed all had 150's and It seems that engine is a good compromise in power for that size boat.

Good luck with the engine change.

Marc

I have a 2012 RL with Yamaha F115, my top speed is 27mph at beginning of season when first put in with sparking clean toons and 24 by end of season.  I really don't mind that but when I have a large crowd I always kick myself for cheaping out and not purchasing the 150.  If I remember right between the 150 and adding the power assist steering it was a little under $5000 more

I have driven numerous Benningtons powered by both the Yamaha F115 and F150.  The F150 is a counter-balance engine and is much smoother running than the F115, which is not.  The F115's running quality suffers as a result.  The F150 is superior in every way and well worth the extra money.  The 150's are the best bang for the buck for performance and economy.  However, here's something for you to consider. The RL is a heavier model.  If you plan on loading the boat with 6+ adults, coolers, etc. most of the time and like to cruise at 25+ mph for long periods, I would suggest 225+hp. It's not so much for the extra speed. but the larger displacement of the engine.  More displacement = more torque, which in turn = better mid range cruising while loaded.  The fuel economy will equal itself out vs a 150 pushing a loaded boat at midrange speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have driven numerous Benningtons powered by both the Yamaha F115 and F150.  The F150 is a counter-balance engine and is much smoother running than the F115, which is not.  The F115's running quality suffers as a result.  The F150 is superior in every way and well worth the extra money.  The 150's are the best bang for the buck for performance and economy.  However, here's something for you to consider. The RL is a heavier model.  If you plan on loading the boat with 6+ adults, coolers, etc. most of the time and like to cruise at 25+ mph for long periods, I would suggest 200+hp. It's not so much for the extra speed. but the larger displacement of the engine.  More displacement = more torque, which in turn = better mid range cruising while loaded.  The fuel economy will equal itself out vs a 150 pushing a loaded boat at midrange speeds.
Mine is only rated for 150 , I assume it wouldn't be good to go over that.

Thanks for all the responses , Its in the shop should be ready by Wednesday , I will follow up with a report as soon as I can get it in the water to test. Turning back cold in Tn this week.

Went to Dale Hollow to test the new 150 this weekend. Must say it was well worth the upgrade. It runs 32 mph with two adults and 1 large dog. Going to do some experimenting with the height of the engine seemed a little low. 

I also saw 5 eagles while on the lake. Awesome!

What boat do you have?

Its a 2011 2275RL Tri Toon new 150 Yamaha

Express tube in the middle? Seems like you would get some more speed. What prop?

Not sure on the prop. I need to look at it, I have 25" logs with strakes. I looked while cruising and the plate was under water pretty deep as per the video I watched the plate should be just on top of the water. There was allot of water coming out of the top side of the hull beside transom ? Never noticed water coming out of the top like that.  Dealer said it went 37 mph  WOT ?

Sounds like it needs to come up. I'd get with the dealer and have them scope it out. Could be a simple adjustment.

Seems slow...

We also need to know your RPMs at full speed to help you with the prop.

Also, are the pontoons clean?

To get the tritoons to their max speed, you've got to trim the engine up substantially.  Those nosecones have to get out of the water.

FYI:  My 24SSLX with EPP and a Yamaha 150 is sitting 1 notch above the lowest point on the transom--3/4" up.  I run with my trim @ 3/4 up on my trim gauge, and it ventilates slightly if I take off without trimming it down some. 

Best prop would probably be a Reliance 15 pitch.  My dealer started with a 14 pitch Yamaha M prop, and it hit the 6300 rpm rev limiter and cut 3 mph off my top end.  The tach usually tells which prop is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back