115hp Limited - Which Model?

TXBoater2

Reaction score
Boat shopping and am limited to 115 hp where I will be using it. Which Bennington model do you recommend with a 115 Yamaha? Was looking at the 22 SSRX, possibly with SPS.

Too much boat for a 115? Mostly used for cruising/tubing, but occasionally may ski.

I have the same boat but with a 150....I think the 115 would get the job done for what you need, and I think you'll be very happy...take a test drive if you can..

Depending on the pontoon config, prop, load, and water conditions, you can expect a top speed of 25-35 MPH with a 115 HP.
For an SPS 22' that's propped correctly bearing a 5-8 adult load in fairly mild conditions, I'd guess that 26-30 MPH is likely.

Rode on a 2012 23' S Series with the rear sun lounger (precursor to the current Swingback) and the Express Performance Package that the dealer added to a standard twin 25" log) with a Yamaha 90HP pushing it. Would top out at 26-27 MPH carrying 2 adults and a full tank of fuel.
22-24 MPH with a mix of 6-9 adults and kiddos.

Last edited:
I did a test drive with a couple of 115hp configurations when first thinking of a pontoon. If that’s the max per lake rules, then it is what it is. However an SPS with lifting strakes, under-skinning and properly propped will assist you in getting the most performance out of it that you can. Lightly loaded down it performs decently. Performance drops noticeably when loaded up with people and gear.

Boat shopping and am limited to 115 hp where I will be using it. Which Bennington model do you recommend with a 115 Yamaha? Was looking at the 22 SSRX, possibly with SPS.

Too much boat for a 115? Mostly used for cruising/tubing, but occasionally may ski.
I have a 21' SSX--ideal for pulling tubers--great for fishing. Yamaha 115 performs great..

Welcome ! So if up to 115 hp only allowed, are you on a small lake? Question being why go "possibly with SPS" ? i have a 24SSRX SPS 150 hp but am on a big lake. Just thought !

Small lake, but plan to take it to other larger lakes about 10-15% of the time. Wondering how much benefit SPS would provide. Also between 21-22’ options. Would it really be a noticeable performance difference going between 21-22 or vice versa with a 115?

Small lake, but plan to take it to other larger lakes about 10-15% of the time. Wondering how much benefit SPS would provide. Also between 21-22’ options. Would it really be a noticeable performance difference going between 21-22 or vice versa with a 115?

It can be, since a one foot increase in overall length can equate to 200+ pounds, which is the weight of an average adult, or more, that the engine has to push.

Sounds like I should look at the 21’ models and skip the 22’ since limited to 115. I think that’s how I’ll start my search.

To get the most out of a 115, my opinion is to get twin ellipticals and a 115 Vmax

I have the 2018 21 SLXP pontoon with Yamaha 115 no underpinnings, no strakes. Best I can do is 26.9 mph with QA2032X 13P prop at 6000 rpm two people Bimini stowed on Saratoga Lake NY freshwater calm

I have a 2012 RL with a Yamaha 115. When first in water did 28mph on Sacandaga. Eventually mph dropped but after adding express toon and underskinning originally hit 31 when alone on boat and then steady at 26

I have a 2019, 22 foot, SSRCX Bennington with regular (2) pontoons. Ordered it from the factory with lifting strakes, under deck skinning and the extended rear deck. It has the Mercury 115 HP Pro XS engine with the optional command thrust gear case and standard aluminum prop. With 3 adults and 2 small children and properly trimmed it will go 38 mph at wide open throttle (6000 rpm) per GPS. I can pull a skier up to 32 mph and a tuber up to 30 mph. The first time I pulled up an adult skier, I was surprised at how easy he popped out of the water. I really like the engine and it is especially quiet at higher speeds. The lifting strakes and under skinning are a must have and very important from a performance standpoint.

I have a 2019, 22 foot, SSRCX Bennington with regular (2) pontoons. Ordered it from the factory with lifting strakes, under deck skinning and the extended rear deck. It has the Mercury 115 HP Pro XS engine with the optional command thrust gear case and standard aluminum prop. With 3 adults and 2 small children and properly trimmed it will go 38 mph at wide open throttle (6000 rpm) per GPS. I can pull a skier up to 32 mph and a tuber up to 30 mph. The first time I pulled up an adult skier, I was surprised at how easy he popped out of the water. I really like the engine and it is especially quiet at higher speeds. The lifting strakes and under skinning are a must have and very important from a performance standpoint.

That's impressive!

Pretty cool to learn that the CT 2.38:1 lower makes a huge difference over the standard Mercury 2.07:1 or Yamaha 2.15:1 lowers for the differing 115HP engines!

wow 38 mph on a 22' with 2 toons and 115 hp exactly what brand and pitch prop are you using?

I have a 2019, 22 GSR with Yamaha 115. RPM's are exactly as recommended and best I can do is 23 to 24 mph with a 4 adults. I do have Sea Legs which adds significant lbs, no under skinning, no lifting strakes, and two logs.

I’ve got a 21 SSRCX. 2 logs. Has under skin, extended aft deck and Yamaha VMax SHO 115. no lifting strakes. We use it for cruising. With 4 adults yesterday WOT hit 30 in light chop. I’ve gotten it to 35 in perfect conditions, but for the most part, slow cruising for us. I’ve not used this boat for water skiing, but when we do I tend to keep it at 22 to 25 mph, so I assume this boat would be fine. Tubing the same. I don’t know if the added weight of the extra log would be overcome by the extra buoyancy.

Back