140hp or 150hp Suzuki on 22SS twin elliptical

Years ago I too used to be an advocate for there is no REplacement for DISplacement,

I agree... but lately my driveway disagrees (4.6 V8, 4.7 V8, 5.5 V8). ;) I tend to hold cars for a while so longevity is important. We had an old El Camino with a 4.3 V6 that lasted forever (300k miles), while my old 2.0 I4 Eagle Talon crapped a turbo and lost compression at 120k mi.

Tech is a game changer for sure when it comes to performance - a 400hp I4 that’s in the Merc CLA45 is just mind blowing. But I’d be surprised if that motor isn’t burning a ton of oil and limping past 100k miles.

This will all be for naught in 10 years when everything will be electric and the arguments will be AC vs DC instead of displacement. Can’t wait for driving to become even more soulless than it is now!

No members have ever said I have too much H.P.

Only when my wife doesn’t want me to go fast. Then I might sometimes SARCASTICALLY mutter that we spent more money than necessary on our motor because we apparently have “too much H.P.” Other than in those situations, I never have. ;) :p

Been thinking for days on this one and wondering how I can keep this from my wife. You all know who have wives, how sometimes they can be more sensible than us guys when it comes to purchasing unnecessary things particularly when it comes to boats. The wife would say, “why would you spend 3 grand more to go 4mph faster and have the double bimini blow off”? Sensible thinking really. Anyway, I’m a glutten for punishment..I PULLED THE PIN ON THE 150 today..

Anyway, I’m a glutten for punishment..I PULLED THE PIN ON THE 150 today..
I’m not saying anything to her. How about everyone else? ;)

Always tough decisions when weighing the insane variety of expensive options on a boat. Reality is the 140 would be fine. Also the reality had you went with the 140, you‘d ALWAYS wonder if you should have gotten the 150 everytime you put the throttle down all the way on the 140. Now you have eliminated that self doubt. :cool:

Congratulations on making one of your last decisions for your new Bennington.

Kozzie Australia is an absolutely beautiful Country. I spent a month in Victoria and New South Wales skiing in five International Ski Races. Perisher, Mount Butler, Falls Creek, Hotham and Thredbo. This was when I was seventeen. Trip of a lifetime. I got to ski against many world olympians of the time. Just to have my name on the same pages was a thrill. Sorry I digress, you will absolutely not regret choosing the 150. It will provide you with all the power you need for water sports and super economy. Enjoy the coming summer.

Thanks CapKaz! Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip downunder and thank you for your feedback.
The Bennington forum has been a wonderful source of information.

Been thinking for days on this one and wondering how I can keep this from my wife. You all know who have wives, how sometimes they can be more sensible than us guys when it comes to purchasing unnecessary things particularly when it comes to boats. The wife would say, “why would you spend 3 grand more to go 4mph faster and have the double bimini blow off”? Sensible thinking really. Anyway, I’m a glutten for punishment..I PULLED THE PIN ON THE 150 today..
Congrats! Either motor should push that sweet ride to ~40 MPH, but I'd bet the difference between them isn't 4 MPH...maybe 4 km/h. With the 150 the good news is you won't need to spend much time picking a prop. Almost anything, within reason, will produce about the same performance/top speed. Electronically hobbled motors can be perplexing until you get a feel for and an understanding of what's happening. The 150 should use 4 3/4" barrel props (the 140 normally is a mid-size, 4 1/4" barrel). That may ease the prop choice for you. Have to say I was surprised to see that the 150 runs 8.5 quarts of oil!

Anyway, the ellipticals are an option I'd love to have, guess you've seen this:

I agree... but lately my driveway disagrees (4.6 V8, 4.7 V8, 5.5 V8). ;)
LOL, our last V8 was my '93 Allante (4.6L Northstar). Beautiful, but one of the most dangerous cars I've ever driven...short coupled and way too much power for an ancient front-wheel drive....monster sized torque steer and don't even get me started on the traction control system. But it was quick if you could drive it! Could stay with my Grand National for a little while (still have that one). Hard as it is to believe, the Allante got totalled from behind. Some yoyo tried to park in my trunk at about 50 MPH. Thankfully that Pininfarina seat saved me, the five in the other car didn't fair that well. Still drove the car ~300 miles home. It drove straight, but the doors and trunk lid didn't fit right...tough car.

BTW: Like your cold weather gear. Have seen wave ridders here in full winter gear and cycle helmets....some of the bass boaters use that too.

Last edited:
Back