1st Oil Change

ErinnDan

Reaction score
Finally had my dealer/ marina do my first oil change. Cost was just under $300 after taxes, 150 for the oil change, 125 for taking it in and out of the water for the job. Is this about right? Not like I really have a choice as they are my dealer, and right on the lake where I keep my boat. Just wondering, and in all honesty I have been kept pretty happy by my dealer overall.

When we bought our boat in 2006, any work that was done by my dealer the haul out and put in was free. It still is today. Prices are a little steep to me.

I just checked prices for the 20 hour service on my new Merc 150, and it was $175 (and I bring the boat to them). On the oil change, your $150 is better than my price. The in/out fee doesn't seem out of line, but I wouldn't know on that.

Just had my 20 hour service done this week at Lake of thee Ozarks on a Yamaha F250. Parts were $62; labor was $180; shop supplies were $12 and haul out was $60 for a total of $312. Was given a computer printout of data recorded by the motor black box over the first 20 hours. This was interesting info that can be compared to data on future service.

After putting the boat back in the water,they ran it and recorded performance at various RPM

.Was told annual service will be about $250

Additional info - if you read the 20 hour maintenance requirements part of the service includes adjustment of cables and inspection of motor areas. While I can't guarentee all this was done it should be done. Thus, it is more than just an oil change in the motor (4 stroke motors) and oil change in the the lower uint.

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems reasonable. Our dealers around $150 haul out, but not sure if they give a break with service. I think they told me service is around $150 even on my 20hp. That includes water/fuel separator, oil change, any motor adjustments needed, etc ......

Just had mine done last week ,in & out ,20 hr check up & oil change .$225.00

That is at the marina where I keep it. He is also an authorized Mercury dealer , not my selling dealer .

I just did mine in my driveway. Yamalube and Yamaha filter cost me $52.00 total and about 1/2 hr of time. Very simple on my 115Hp.

Previous boat (Cruiser 32') the haul out and in was done for free when in for service. However they had a simple and convenient process next to all the docks.

I just did mine in my driveway. Yamalube and Yamaha filter cost me $52.00 total and about 1/2 hr of time. Very simple on my 115Hp.

Previous boat (Cruiser 32') the haul out and in was done for free when in for service. However they had a simple and convenient process next to all the docks.

Where did you buy your oil/filter/parts?  I'm thinking of doing my own initial 20 hour, 100 hour, and winterizarion myself...

Look on Ebay.

My 20 hr service was around $250.  It included the 1 hr drive they made to perform it on my lift.  I didn't buy a trailer.

Where did you buy your oil/filter/parts?  I'm thinking of doing my own initial 20 hour, 100 hour, and winterizarion myself...

I bought the "kit:" from my dealer. Box comes with 5 qts Yamalube, oil filter and new washer for drain plug.  I think it was $50.

NAPA had their synthetic on sale 2.99 qt., bought a couple cases.  Had them get me a few Sierra filters, I'm set for a few years.  Get some gear lube when it's time.  Their oil was made by Valvoline if I remember. 

I would wait until your second oil change to switch to synthetic so the rings have plenty of time to wear in. Just my $.02 from an automotive background.

At our marina on the lake (dealer we purchased from) the first 20 hour service was negotiated at time of purchase at 1/2 cost and free in/out fee......so less than $100 total.  If they have warranty work to do then there is no pulling fee.....saves us $90.

Our 100 hour oil change interval (about annual use + or - a few hours) or winterization in our case runs just under $300 and that is the price if you bring it to them or they come to our docks and do the service there.  Our option is to come to us since we don't have a trailer.  Included in that is an oil and filter change - lower unit oil change - fuel water seperator filter change - fuel stabalizer - grease pivot points - remove prop and inspect for fishing line and grease splines - disconnect battery....they will take your battery back to the shop and store it for you over the winter.  I choose to bring it back to the lake house and store it there and put a battery tender on it a few times over the winter to keep it topped off and ready for spring.

I know $300 seems like quite a bit of money for an oil change but I figured while the motor is still under factory warranty I'll have the dealer service everything just in case we come across an issue down the road they cant say it was something that I did and decline the warranty.

You can get the yamaha oil change kits off amazon as well as lower unit oil and fuel filters.  All 3 can be bought for less than $100 and come with free shipping is you are an amazon prime member.

Yamaha f200 oil change kit

Yamaha fuel/water filter

OEM lower unit oil

I get the whole kit from Sims. They send everything you need. This kit contains o rings for lower unit, oil and gas filters, motor and lower unit oils. Everything except a computer to do a diagnostic check. 

I get the whole kit from Sims. They send everything you need. This kit contains o rings for lower unit, oil and gas filters, motor and lower unit oils. Everything except a computer to do a diagnostic check. 

Thanks... think Sims Yamaha is where I'm buying my kit.

My Sims kit just came in for my 20 hour change. Got to get that done some time this week. 

Yep, but I used them for three changes on my last Bennington. I've about got this thing down pat.

Last edited:
Back