1st pontoon purchase help

RReaume

Reaction score
Looking at buying my first pontoon.  Not to lie I am looking at 4 brands.  Bennington 2250RCB, Harris Flotebote Grand Mariner 250SL, Avalon Ambassador Entertainer or J-seat, Manitou 250 SES Rear bench.  Every one is built the same with tritoons with the turning radius package I have not had the Bennington quoted yet but the 3 others are all 65K out the door with the same setup/options.

Bennington I am looking at the 2550RCB with the ESP and 300hp motor.

My question is what brand motor.  E-Tec vs Verado and suggestions pro's con's (current owners of this setup please respond)

What would the top speed on this setup be?

What would be cruising speed?

I know the Bennington has the best warranty of the 4 but it will have to be in the same price range for me to consider.  I cannot budget over that.

All input welcome 

Thanks

Roy

Roy:  My only question is do you really need that 300 hp motor?  It's a bunch of $ for not that many more mph.  Tell them how your boat's going to be used and how many people you're going to be carrying.

And that Verado's one heavy motor vs. Yamaha or ETEC. 

Maybe some owners on here with the bigger motors can chime in.

I am using my boat on the Great Lakes mainly Lake St. Clair Michigan and occasionally on Lake Huron and the rivers up near Cheboygan Michigan.  Lake St. Clair is a shallow lake with many boats and creates a bath tub effect with 2-3 foot waves usually. Storms can move in fast and I want the speed to get off the lake if needed.  My plan for the boat is tubing, wake boarding, skiing and cruising.  Usually 4 people aboard.

Most posts I read is go with the biggest motor you can afford.  Yes its a big price but I would rather dish out the money than be disappointed I didn't

Yes its a big price but I would rather dish out the money than be disappointed I didn't
Then just buy the Benni, and forget about the others ..... :)

We just bought our this summer I know we looked at the manitou  also and they were even money for the same basic boat I can not speak for the rest. This is our first pontoon and I am very happy with our choice.

We looked at pretty much all the brands you named. Had it narrowed down between a Harris and Bennington. Then started looking at all the little details and bought a Bennington. Also looked at all three of the motors you mentioned. You need to compare the warranties side by side. That'e why I choose the Yamaha.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.  I will be pricing the Benni out this week.

We owned 2 Harris pontoons before this, narrowed it down to a Manitou SHP and Bennington ESP, and have never regretted our choice. We love our Benny and the customer service is best in class!

I'm on my third Bennington in 4 years, my dealer sold my last 2012 2275RCW ESP with a Yamaha 200SHO to a fella. He had come  in in the morning and went for a ride, told them that he was going to ride a Harris in the afternoon. Well he called back after the ride on the Harris and was sold on the ESP. Speaking honestly, I've never ridden in one, but from what I've been told it was no comparison. I know for a fact the new owner is still super pleased with the fit, finish, and quality of a Bennington. He did also get a smoking deal on a boat used for less than 30 hours!! Haha man I'm an idiot.  Hehe.

Of the 4 boats you listed, the Bennington with ESP is the better boat for the big waters that you boat on. The big 32" elliptical center tube is the way to go for big waters. IMO, a longer boat bridges the waves better and offers a smoother, more comfortable ride. If the budget allows, buy a 25 footer.

Engine choice........that's personal preference. They're all good.

I have friends with each engine brand......250's up to 300. Some of the 250 "special" models will run with/ahead of their bigger brothers lol.

The Etec 250HO, Suzuki 250SS, Yamaha 250 SHO , and Verado 250 Pro are stout engines.

Just priced out a new Bennington 2550 RCB with ESP and the  300 yamaha. I will let you know when I get the quote back. Set up a test drive on a 25' with a 225 for Sunday at the Metro Boat show. I am hoping the price comes in the same as the others I think I will go with the Bennington, with all the reviews I have read, Bennington is at top due to warranty and customer satisfaction. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that it is not all about price but value as well. Good luck and keep us updated on your decision!

There are a few brands that could be considered in the same league as Bennington...........

The boats you mentioned are not among them.

A used Benny would be a better choice than any of those.

I would suggest trying to replicate your test drive to mimic how you will actually use it. you may not be able to pull a tube, but see if you cant get a group of people to go out with that way you can see the effects of a full load and try to get on the water during typical weather, dont settle for a test drive on best weather day of the year. That is the one mistake we made when purchasing, now we find ourselves underpowered for what were doing. Also take into account what your future needs are going to be, having a boat makes a person more popular, especially a "Benny" lol, now I have friends to play with on the weekend!

If your in the lake st. Clair area, Wilson marine has a Bennington VIP Cruise event this Saturday the 28th out at there Brighton store. Here is what's listed for the day.

2014 product unveiling

Special on the water demos

Never before seen models

Food and drinks, music

2013 close out prices

And a Bennington factory rep.

It starts at 9:00 am to 6:00pm.

I bought my boat from Wilson and have been very happy with there service.

You won't be sorry if you by a Bennington.

Back