2 questions, rear facing speakers & ipad holder

Bama Kat

Reaction score
I see where the new Bennington's have rear speakers so you can hear your music while floating in the water but has anyone mounted speakers on the rear of their toon so you can hear the music better while in the water? if so, how & where did you mount them?

does anyone use an ipad on the boat? what kind of mount did you use?

thanks

Mike

I just saw a Bennington in AZ that had speakers mounted on the front railings facing rearward.  I love listening to music on the water but I personally prefer the more stealth look.  They looked like big spots lights.

That's what I was thinking, they may stand out too much

I like the way you think!  On my previous boat, I would put a big bluetooth speaker (Rock Blocker by Ion) on the rear deck and that would be our floating music.  When I was configuring this new Bennington, I wanted it to be cleaner and more self contained.  I had the dealer install two speakers facing the back, as well as a wired remote.  On my model (QCB), this worked well because there was a "wall' there to install them on.  I'm sure this would vary by model.  I am attaching a picture below, and you can see the speakers, although it's not the clearest picture, because that wasn't the focus of it.  I also had him hook up the rear speakers as the "rear channel" so I could fade the speakers to only play those rear speakers while we're floating, so that people could be on the boat talking, eating, or napping (children) and the music wouldn't be blasting them out.  Some stereos, like the Clarion M505 have two "modes" so that one would be all the speakers, and the other could be just the back speakers to accomplish the same thing.

As for iPad holder, I use my iPhone.  My biggest issue was keeping it out of the hot sun so it didn't go into Temperature mode and shut down.  I put a zippered pouch on the wall area of he helm just to the right of the captain's leg and put my iPhone in there when we're out and about.

ASG-20160220-IMG_0893-2_zpsfy2raubj.jpg

Mike,

Well, I'm very much into music, I've been a drummer for about 35 years.  Anyways, I'm actually surprised how well the somewhat factory stereo sounds.  I upgraded to the Wetsounds speakers with the Kicker sub and amp.  I installed a second sub in the rear club area to fill the bottom back there.  For 4 speakers, 2 subs and one amp it doesn't sound bad at all.  I play my IPOD about 99% of the time.  It doesn't pound like my Malibu wakeboard boat did with 3 amps, subs, in-boat Focal speakers and Wetsounds Pro 80 tower speakers but it does sound surprising clear with enough sub to feel it front and rear. I'm very pleased with the set-up.

Like this? They swivel completely around. Wet Sounds Icon 8's. V-lock mounting brackets. I take speakers off when covering the boat. Icon-8's sound fantastic in the boat and awesome when in the water. We even had 5 boats tied up last summer and I was able to provide sound for all of them when angled in that direction. I upgraded my amp as well to the Wet Sounds sd6. Completely happy with the set up. Thanks to Derrick for his help with this and Tim White from Wet Sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back