2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke

ChuckP

Reaction score
So I have a question my dealer couldnt really answer, how much quieter is a 4-stroke compared to an equivalent 2 stroke outboard? In this case a 200hp Optimax vx 20hp Verado? Our soon to be old boat has a 50hp Yamaha 2-stroke and we normally cruise at 3000rpm and you have to raise your voice a little to have a normal conversation. Id really like to have something quieter! My dealer tells me the Optimax will be quieter but the Verado (or Yamaha 4-stroke even) is quieter yet. But he seems to think that I'll be happy with Optimax? Since you guys already cost me an extra $2000 on the power-assist steering :p I might as well find out if I need to pry open the wallet a little further?

You're going to have to do a test drive.

BTW, modern two-strokes are nothing like their predecessors. We;;, except for the fact that they are two-strokes of course.

At lower rpms, 4 stroke outboards are quieter than 2 stroke outboards in my opinion. I cannot hear my 115hp 4 stroke running at an idle. At WOT I think there is no difference between the two.

At full throttle on my 4 stroke Verado 250, the wind noise is the only obstacle to hearing conversation. I haven't heard a new Optimax from an inside the boat perspective.

I was lucky to score a test drive on an RCW (an I/O). This time of year I dont think there any other test drives are going to happen so I guess Ill have to trust the dealer.

Back