20” or 25” and water spraying on motor for 2012 22 SSI Tritoon

Anders Stefan

Reaction score
I purchased a used 22 SSI tritoon and discovered the motor would over rev and vent. I talked to two Bennington dealers and the said my 115 Yamaha was a short shaft and both dealers recommended a 25” motor. I bought a new Yamaha 115 sho 25” motor and installed in the lowest hole. After the two hour break in period I ran at higher rpm and now have water splashing up all over motor. Brought it back to dealer and raised it up two holes. Now I have a 4 foot rooster on each side of motor. Can anyone tell me if this boat should have a 20” or 25” motor? What can I do to get rid of spray. Would prop help? At least you can turn without the motor coming out of the water! I thought I would call Bennington to see what motor is supposed to be on boat.

I think due to the way they sit in the water, there is a certain amount of spray up around the motor regardless. I know the amount we get still surprises me, and is very different than a traditional boat.

I believe you needs a 25” motor length, then you want it mounted so its not too low in the water, but not too high (cavitation plate observable/level at water line when at nearing WOT). I don’t think you need a whole new motor, but just some sort of lower unit type replacement. Probably pricey, but much cheaper than an entirely new motor.

I don’t think prop is going to impact your issue much, but I might be wrong on that. However, dialing in your prop once you square away the above will be good for performance and motor longevity.

As for motors, there is a TREMENDOUS range of motors, so my guess is the only clear answer they’ll be able to give you is on going with a 25” length motor since there is too much boat variation and options beyond that.

Last edited:
I installed a new 25” on lowest setting which water sprayed on motor. Brought it back and raised it two holes and spray was still there but a lot better. Might go up to last hole. This is a model where center toon does not go all the way back. Thanks for info!

I installed a new 25” on lowest setting which water sprayed on motor. Brought it back and raised it two holes and spray was still there but a lot better. Might go up to last hole. This is a model where center toon does not go all the way back. Thanks for info!

I think that EPP hull you have sits lower in the backend too. Others with it hopefully will chime in, but I believe that is to be expected with it unfortunately. :(

Honestly I thought the Express package called for a 20" motor and the SPS and ESP used a 25" motor (Excluding early Yamaha SHO's that came only in 20") I could be wrong though.

Would this transom height correlate to motor length?

452036B7-DDF1-4762-8DF1-6B56448AC03C.jpeg

I've had a boat with the express package (3/4 center toon). It had a 20 inch yamaha 115. It sprayed water on top of the motor when at higher rpm's. I didn't have any problems with the motor ventilating except in tight turns at wot. My current boat has the sps package with a 25 inch yamaha 150. It does not spray water on top of the motor. That is one of the many advantages of the full length center toon. I think a 20 inch motor would be correct for the express package.

Last edited:
I have the Express Tube package and had similar issues with water splashing up on the sides of the engine. I installed a Cobra Edge Hydrofoil which ended up raising the rear of the boat when on plane. The splashing problem went away, the boat planes faster and can stay on plane at a lower speed. My engine is also mounted in the top hole, so its as low as it can go. Also, before the hydrofoil I really couldn't adjust the trim any without porpoising. Works great now.

I have the Express Tube package and had similar issues with water splashing up on the sides of the engine. I installed a Cobra Edge Hydrofoil which ended up raising the rear of the boat when on plane. The splashing problem went away, the boat planes faster and can stay on plane at a lower speed. My engine is also mounted in the top hole, so its as low as it can go. Also, before the hydrofoil I really couldn't adjust the trim any without porpoising. Works great now.
Did you notice any top speed change when you added the Hydrofoil?

How expensive is this device?

I got the stainless steel version and it was just under $100.
So you feel like there should be no real downside to the Cobra Edge in stainless on my 2013 22SLX tri-toon (3/4 length center toon) with Yamaha F115 in top holes? I occasionally pull kids on multi kid toy and don't want to lose turning nimbleness when trying to get toys over wake or much top speed as I only have a 115. I am soon adding Uflex Hytech hydraulic steering so not too worried if steering gets heavier with the hydrofoil. I have not noticed the water splashing issue on motor but we don't run wot very often as we like to slow cruise through downtown Portland on Willamette River at 12-14 mph and enjoy the sights. If I gained ability to plane at less than 14 mph that would be wonderful. This motor is super easy on fuel....like 8-9 hours of easy cruising with 7.5 gal of gas! Should get boat back today from upholstery shop with new front OEM Benny bimini frame added with all new Sunbrella tops on both for lots of shade! We had them add 2-3" to sides for more shade and sew heavy duty zippers all the way around the perimeter of double tops for ability to add side curtains if we ever want to, like heavy screening shade cloth. Everyone seems to be going black for latest "cool" look but we want cool shade from hot sun so we stayed with tan/champagne matching fabric that matches boat champagne paint.:)

So you feel like there should be no real downside to the Cobra Edge in stainless on my 2013 22SLX tri-toon (3/4 length center toon) with Yamaha F115 in top holes? I occasionally pull kids on multi kid toy and don't want to lose turning nimbleness when trying to get toys over wake or much top speed as I only have a 115. I am soon adding Uflex Hytech hydraulic steering so not too worried if steering gets heavier with the hydrofoil. I have not noticed the water splashing issue on motor but we don't run wot very often as we like to slow cruise through downtown Portland on Willamette River at 12-14 mph and enjoy the sights. If I gained ability to plane at less than 14 mph that would be wonderful. This motor is super easy on fuel....like 8-9 hours of easy cruising with 7.5 gal of gas! Should get boat back today from upholstery shop with new front OEM Benny bimini frame added with all new Sunbrella tops on both for lots of shade! We had them add 2-3" to sides for more shade and sew heavy duty zippers all the way around the perimeter of double tops for ability to add side curtains if we ever want to, like heavy screening shade cloth. Everyone seems to be going black for latest "cool" look but we want cool shade from hot sun so we stayed with tan/champagne matching fabric that matches boat champagne paint.:)
I don't see any down side for you. Love mine!

Back