20 hour break in? Going on vacation!!

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
Hello all as of today, I'm at my 20 initial hours on my Yamaha 150.

That said, I'm heading up North for two days to our cabin with the boat, later this week..

I know Yamaha calls for a service at 20 hours, but I'm not certain I'll have the time to do it before we leave for our cabin vacation.

I called the dealer, and they said it's fine.. just do the service before 30 hours.. no big deal..

I'm wondering.. what does the "service" all entail, and is it really ok to wait??

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I think he is correct. I had n issue also on a holiday weekend and got mine in at 26 hours instead of 20.

I had mine serviced at 20 hours but the dealer said as long as I did it in the first three months I was fine. Although I don’t think he understands how much I love my new Benny and how many hours I would put on it in the first three months.

So essentially an oil and filter change?

Think my dealer is correct in that over twenty is ok?

Yes, My dealer told me same thing when I had similar situation. Sounds like you’re good to go.

The 20 hour check is essentially an oil change and lower unit grease change. I did mine for $39 and 1/2 hour of my time. Yamaha doesn't even stipulate changing the oil filter at 20 hours.

I'd hate to shake hands with the gentleman that installed that oil filter. It was torqued to incredible ft/lbs. But I had a first class filter wrench and got it off with brute strength. Then I cross referenced it with a Motorcraft oil filter that belongs to a Ford Focus 2.0 engine--much cheaper at Walmart.

I've got fairly thick skin so I'll just go ahead and admit that I skipped the break-in servicing. I know, I probably voided any and all warranties but given my set up and all the hassle, I decided to throw the dice. And much to my surprise, the engine is still humming right along. Now you know the truth, remind me not to whine about a seized engine or offer to buy my boat if or when we ever decide to part company... :)

Typically initial change is to 1. Remove any machining shavings and or break in wear particles AND 2. Allow inspection of the oils to verify same. Should show some particulate from break-in (minimal metals in oil), but not excessive particulate, which could represent internal issues.

I have re-read this thread because now I'm in the same situation. I only have 12 or 13 hours on my boat and we are going on vacation on 8/22 and pulling my boat to a lake. I don't store my trailer close by so it would be very difficult to get the initial 20 hour service before I go. Will be at the lake for 5 days and plan to explore quite a bit. We bought property on this lake and have never boated on it, so we're anxious to see it and explore. I'm guessing that I'll have at least 30 hours on it by the time I'm done and then plan to take it in for servicing. Just hoping that it won't hurt or jeopardize my warranty.

You’ll be ok. I probably had 25-30 hours before getting to the first service on both of my Bennys.

I'd hate to shake hands with the gentleman that installed that oil filter. It was torqued to incredible ft/lbs. But I had a first class filter wrench and got it off with brute strength.

I think they tend to dry somewhat and seize during the 100 or so hours of use. I installed mine at the initial oil change, and when I removed it yesterday, I had to use channel locks, and even then, I did quite the bending of the filter can while getting it off. It was tough.

Back