20 Hour Break-In Maintenance

McZiggy

Reaction score
What is all involved in the first 20 hour maintenance? My dealer is quite a drive from me. Is this something a guy could do himself? Or is this a dealer must?

Thanks! Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Look in your motor manual, it tells you. Basically fluid changes and any adjustments needed to motor (linkages, computer settings if any issues) etc ..... Basic maint you could do.

Just keep documentation (receipts, pictures??) etc. just in case.

My documentation says to change the engine oil & filter and change the lower unit oil, grease your fittings and inspect your anodes, wiring, etc

My dealer just quoted me $440!  Took them 4 days to respond at that and I asked them what all do I get for $440 and I still haven't gotten a response.  I hate to say it but so many places live up to the stereo types of very little customer service once the sale has been made....I kinda feel like a distant memory now.   Ha....going to go get some Mobile 1 and do it myself

Use dino oil until the next oil change. It wil let the rings seat better. Wait another year for the Mobil 1.

Use dino oil until the next oil change. It wil let the rings seat better. Wait another year for the Mobil 1.
Never heard of dino oil and I searched in this forum, up one side and down the other in Hulltruth.com and in floridasportsman.com about Yamaha 150s.  Can you tell me more about it?  

gotta say I really do love this forum...the help, advice and ideas are always so awesome...don't get the same feel from hulltruth and floridasportsman but both of those are good boating forums too

Hey Brentah,

Dino oil is just regular, conventional, non-synthetic engine oil. LikeCwag911 says, it helps the engine brake in better since there is more friction with the conventional oil. By the next oil change all that needs broken in will be so. Then go to a synthetic of your choice. Just remember to use the right viscosity per your owners manual.

Have fun and let me know how it goes. I have a 20 hour coming up soon.

Marc

Dino = made from dead dinosaurs = gotten from the ground, not made in a lab.  I didn't mean to make you crazy.    :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've called around to local Yamaha outboard dealers.  $135 or so including tax to have it done.  I'm thinking that's worth it!

I've got my 2 year old 24SSLX w/F150 sitting in my driveway.  With its second oil change, I switched to 10W30 Mobil 1 EP--a superior oil to plain Mobil 1, and was $27 @ Walmart. 

The proper size oil filter is a $5 Motorcraft  FL910 that fits a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0 engine. 

I sprung for a $12 quart of Yamaha lower unit grease, two $1.50 lower unit paper gaskets and one $5.50 crush washer on the crankcase.

Total cost of yearly maintenance--$50 plus 1/2 hour labor.  And you don't have to be a skilled mechanic to do this minor job.

Now, I've got to spend another hour polishing my right toon with White Diamond metal polish and the Porter Cable dual action polisher and wool bonnet.

My dealer was $150. That's oil, filter, lower unit gear oil, FUEL/WATER filter and labor.

I had him do mine cause they were pulling it from storage (I don't have trailer or would do it myself) and had to swing past their shop anyhow.

I did my buddies for probably $50 in parts plus changed the water pump for another $20-$30??

Took me about 1- 1-1/2 hours to do oils and water pump.

Just called my dealer they said it will be $210 plus parts!?

So that must not include Oil, Filter etc...

I'm using 100% Pure Gas.  Should I change the Water/Fuel filter?

I think i'm going to do the service myself.

I'm using 100% Pure Gas. Should I change the Water/Fuel filter?

Holy. If only somebody could post a how to thread with step by step instructions how to do the maintanence! With pictures!

I'm using 100% Pure Gas. Should I change the Water/Fuel filter?

It should be changed EVERY year. You don't want to find out its full when out on the water!!!!

Holy. If only somebody could post a how to thread with step by step instructions how to do the maintanence! With pictures!
Ton of YouTube videos !! That's where I learned to do the water pump and it was soooooo easy !!!!

Make sure you get the Lower Unit Hose Adapter and hand pump for gear oil bottle. DO NOT use the squeeze tubes of gear oil. as THEY SUCK !!!!

Back