20 Hour Break-In Maintenance

Sucks, I could make a killing doing these. I could charge $100 plus parts ... Then again I don't have a business and liability insurance ..... I'll stick to just doing my own. If you can change your oil on your car, you can do all this stuff. Now if you can't, welcome to the world of boating ...... It can get expensive.

Sucks, I could make a killing doing these. I could charge $100 plus parts ... Then again I don't have a business and liability insurance ..... I'll stick to just doing my own. If you can change your oil on your car, you can do all this stuff. Now if you can't, welcome to the world of boating ...... It can get expensive.
What a great bunch of videos! I just may do this myself now! Do you happen to have a parts list of what a guy would need, and where to get it? Could a guy order everything online?

Wait till Bamaman gets here, he has all the answers and part numbers.

And Smitty, You da man!        :p

This is a great thread. My yearly service with my previous boat was $800 to $1200. Hence, if the dealer or local mercury outboard certified shop is only a couple hundred bucks, I'm happy. Plus my dealer is only minutes away.

Cheers, Steve

I still recommend at least purchasing the parts (if reasonable) from your dealer. You want to keep him in business, you might just not want to help pay for the summer home in Colorado ..... :)

Keep in mind, he still does your warranty work ....... If he's around. ;-)

The highlighted items are required for annual maintenance for my F150.  I wouldn't be surprised if the gaskets and the crush washer aren't the same for some other model motors:

*Part #90430-14M09-00  Oil Drain Plug Gasket  $5 (crush washer)

Part #90340-14M06-00 Oil Drain Plug $9

*Part #90430-08020-00 Lower Unit Drain Plug O Ring  $1  (two required)

Part #688-45341-10-00 Lower Unit Drain Plug $7

*YAMALUBE MARINE GEARCASE LUBE 32 OZ $10.50 list price

Part #91490-40030-00 Prop cotter pin--$1.75

*YAMAHA MARINE FUEL/WATER SEPARATING FILTER $24.50 list price  The Sierra # is 18-7866 or the Yamaha number is MAR-FUELF-IL-TR.   OReilly can order the 18-7866.

*Motor oil--10W30  There's some discussion about the amount required and whether it must be marine oil rated.  The factory says 5 quarts.  My manual says it requires 5.7 quarts with a filter change.   I'm going with 5 quarts to start--with the goal of keeping the level 1/2 way between the two marks on the dipstick.  That way, I can better watch the oil level every time I go out

*Oil Filter is YAMAHA 69J-13440-00-00   Same filter as Motorcraft  FL910 or AC DELCO PF53--used for 2014 Ford Focus 2.0 engine

If you use the lower unit oil pump, you can usually get by with 1 quart of gearcase lube. 

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=medium]I debated on doing my 20 hour service myself or let my dealer. But I had a gas tank calibration that was required so is decided to let my dealer do it. Cost for oil filter and gear case change was $144.00. I was expecting 300 but the mechanic told me it takes less than 30 minutes to do both. i was happy with letting them do it and will probally let them do this each year now that I know the cost.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Good luck[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dan[/SIZE]

At that price it's worth it. No messing with disposal of the nasty used oil and filter, and it's all documented (just in case).

Hey All,

For those following this or thinking you may want to do it, it is a piece of cake. Watch the videos and have at it. I wish I had done something different than holding a drain pan under the oil drain hole while trimming the motor down but it worked OK. Not much of a mess at all. EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Marc

I go with dealer maintenance while under warranty. My dealer will be the one to defend my boat in the event something goes wrong. and if the dealer did all the service, there can be no question that service was not the reason for a mechanical failure.

having the service done at the dealer means I don't have to do it myself, &, a big insurance policy for the future.+ documentation of all of the service makes but worth more in the market of used boats. Just my opinion.

I did mine and it was a breeze. The only pain was removing the lower cowling to get to the oil drain plug. I love the built in funnel for removing the oil filter. Glad to see some quality engineering there.

I pulled my boat today (early since the weather is still good but since we will be going out of town for an extended period in a few weeks, I decided to pull the boat while the weather is still nice so we could winterize it while it is still warm.  Two problems I encountered when doing the 20 hour maintenance (getting the oil filter off with an oil wrench and removing the lower screw for the lower gear oil).  I finally figured out that I probably need to get an oil filter pliers since this will make removal of the oil filter much easier in the tight area; however, for the life of me, I could not get the lower screw loose on the lower gear unit to drain the oil.  Anyone have any tips on how to remove the screw?  I got the top one loose but the bottom one will not move.  This will be the first time it was changed since the motor is new. 

Get a large screwdriver that you can put a wrench on, or an impact driver.

And lefty loosey!!

Get a large screwdriver that you can put a wrench on, or an impact driver.
Went over the the marina today with a very large screwdriver and wrench and was able to remove the lower screw for the gear unit.  Once off I changed the lower gear unit oil.  Thanks. Now counting the days til Spring. :)   

You're welcome.

It should be changed EVERY year. You don't want to find out its full when out on the water!!!!
 I didn't use but 15 gallons of gasoline this year, as had other situations that kept us off the water.  I'm going to pass on the oil change this year.

Parts Numbers:

YAMAHA 69J-13440-00-00   Same filter as used for 2014 Ford Focus 2.0 engine Fram PH3614 or Motorcraft  FL910

Part #90430-14M09-00  Oil Drain Plug Gasket  $5  crush washer

Part #90430-08020-00 Lower Unit Drain Plug O Ring  $1  two required

YAMALUBE MARINE GEARCASE LUBE 32 OZ $10.50 list price

YAMAHA MARINE FUEL/WATER SEPARATING FILTER $24.50 list price  The Sierra # is 18-7866 or the Yamaha number is MAR-FUELF-IL-TR.   OReilly can order the 18-7866.

Dealers are certainly not the only place to obtain some commonly used parts.

On 6/25/2014 at 1:30 PM, SEMPERFI8387 said:

Changing Oil today so i'm going back to these vids :)

I forgot the Water Separator turns OPPOSITE the standard way and jsut remembered how much grief I went through trying to get it off by turning it the WRONG way!  Glad I watched this again LOL.

I have a 10 hr break in period on my new Yamaha and my dealer informed me not to worry about the 10 hr maintenance, he said I would be fine until fall?  I guess my question is; does Yamaha use a different oil during the break-in period than after the break-in period?    Am I safe until fall?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I have a 10 hr break in period on my new Yamaha and my dealer informed me not to worry about the 10 hr maintenance, he said I would be fine until fall?  I guess my question is; does Yamaha use a different oil during the break-in period than after the break-in period?    Am I safe until fall?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I would not take that advice. There is a reason they recommend the oil change between 10 and 20 hours after break in.  During the break in your motor creates metal shavings. I would do everything by the book to maintain that warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back