20' with 9.9 high thrust

Evanyj350

Reaction score
Live on a small lake. Have a ski boat. Wanted a toon for cocktail cruising and sunning. Wanted smallest, quietest motor possible. Ended up going with 9.9 Yamaha on a 20' SLMX. Almost opted for the Torqeedo, but good batteries are expensive and seems like tech needs a couple more years.... Hope I will be happy with 9.9.

Welcome .

Myself ,I would go as big as budget allows ,if only to get out of the way of a storm .

I am sure others will comment also .

We are Very Good at spending other peoples money .

Is a 9.9 hp able to push a 20 ft. Bennington?!? It starts to get pretty heavy w/all the cocktail cruisers that will be coming onboard.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave now has bragging rights!

Welcome and curious to see how it runs!

I think that's a bit small for a 20 ft. toon,especially if you load up with passengers. I guess you could bring along some oars, in case it won't get going :lol:

Go with a 20 or 25 i can't see those being any louder than the 9.9. And you may not have to have it at full throttle all the time.

We have a 9.9 restricted lake I drive over everyday to work. Never been on it, but I hear there are a few toons on it. No mater what size motor you get, you can barely hear it at idle, at least I couldn't with my 250. I'd think of resale and go with something a bit bigger.

I've rented a pontoon a couple times on the lake Jared is talking about. A 9.9 moves the boat more than you might think.

As long as you are boating downhill with the wind.

Seriously the 9.9 does move the boat pretty well.

I'm not sure smallest means quietest though. You can't hear my 150 running in a no wake zone, but a 9.9 would be near full throttle, and they're not exactly quiet. It will sound like you brought your mower with you. If you want quiet crusing, get a big motor. I know that seems backwards, but that's my advice.

Cost is always a consideration 

Here after sunset we are mandatory no wake 

My concern is though you have a ski boat 

When friends and family come over during those hot summer days 

They will gravitate to the pontoon 

I have an SL21 

Considered the High Thrust 60 HP

Am so thankful to everyone on this forum for convincing me the 4 stroke 90 hp was the wiser and better buy 

Can't hear the motor at all and those night time cruises are amazing

I think it is better to have more HP than not enough 

When you load the pontoon up with friends , family and cargo

You will thank us 

No Matter What 

Congratulations and ....

Welcome To The Bennington Family 

107175344.jpg

I agree with Kaydano, the lower the rpm's the quieter.  Better to have a larger motor running at a lower rpm

Bennington offers the 9.9 or the Torqeedo equivalent as the starting option for their 20' boats.   Hopefully it well keep the boat moving.   Lake is so small I'm really not worried about getting caught in a storm, but I do appreciate the advice that an idling 60 hp could be quieter than a high revving 9.9.   We'll see.....

Just talked to my dealer...   He hadn't rigged boat yet, so we upgraded to a 25 HP High Thrust.   Still in my price range, but should push the boat much better.  Thanks for all your great input.

We have become experts at spending other peoples' money. :D

Actually, you will be much happier with the 25. 

Congratulations on joining the Bennington Family. 

Good call!

Yes, good call.

Man, this PADs stuff is rough...    Ordered boat and was told 6 weeks...  Gonna be more like 8.    Sick of waiting for the boat to arrive on all these sunny days.  Got tax return and have a little more to spend now, so asked dealer if he'd keep my 20SLMX I ordered and put my 25 hp on a showroom boat.   He said fine.   Gave me a good deal on a 22SSRX.   Thought I was stuck on 20' with my dock space, but 22' should be fine.    New rig has stern deck extension, kicker speaker upgrade, teak flooring, LED bimini, extra fill in seat, pillow top upholstery.  Getting rigged tomorrow.   Will pick it up Weds.   Very excited...

Congratulations ! Don't forget to upgrade your signature also  :D

#awesome #congrats #enjoy!! 

Congrats, I'm sure you will be a happy boater!

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.   Metallic Sorel with white accent.   

You have my patience! Can't wait to see the new boat!

Back