2001 Bennington gas gauge malfunction

SteveElk

Reaction score
This past weekend I noticed that my dash gas gauge was showing a full tank of gas.  I knew this was not correct. I estimated I had about a half tank or less remaining. This model has a built in gas tank which holds approximately 19 gallons of gas. I checked the wires going to the tank.  According to the wiring schematic which one of the members at the forum kindly sent me when I was having a stereo problem, these wires connect to a sender.   I disconnected one of the wires and noted the gas gauge dropped to empty which I suppose is to be expected. Please keep in mind that I am a novice when it comes to wiring on my pontoon. Dwelling wiring I'm fairly compete. I checked the two fuses back in the battery compartment. Both were OK. The wiring schematic doesn't show a fuse between the gas tank sender and the dash gauge. I'm assuming the gas tank sender is defective and needs replacing. What I need to know is are these senders generic or  do I need to remove the sender and take it to my local boat service department and have them recommend a replacement? Any advice would be appreciated.   

There should be a name on the sender and you can look them up online.

Carl, thanks for info. I'll wear my reading glasses this time and get  the name. Still going to check with local dealer to see if he has a unit that might substitute. We live on Elk River a little West of Athens, AL in North Alabama. We have a house full of guests coming in this weekend to celebrate Labor Day. They would not be happy with me if I ran out of gas while out on the water. Have a good weekend, Steve   

Could be the whole sending unit, or just the float. Mine went out in my bass boat last year and when I checked voltage to it I had 12 volts. The label had worn off, so I wasn't sure who made it. I took out the screws and pulled it from the fuel tank and manually operated the float arm and the gauge worked. I found a cork approximately the same size and replaced the OEM cork float. Works great over a year later, and the cork set me back 50 cents.

Update: I located a universal unit at the local dealer. It came with two rods so one or both could be cut so the float could be placed at the proper depth. Then the two rods are connected using a "U" shaped connector with a tightening screw. I switched out the old with the new unit and then checked dash gauge. Gauge was still showing a full tank. So I have something else wrong. I added about ten gallons and topped off the tank. As it turned out we had a rainy weekend so we weren't able to get out on the water much. Anyone have any suggestions what my problem could be??    

What happens if you reverse the wires? Seems like  I remember I did that years ago and a full tank reading was the result. If that is not it, then maybe the hot wire is shorted to ground either at the sender or between the sender and the gauge. Did you check the gauge operation by manually operating the arm before you put it in the tank? That is always good to do to verify operation.

The sending unit is a variable resistor on the ground side of the guage. Take the wires off the sending unit and see where the guage reads. If it's still reads full, the wire is grounded. Does the needle move when you turn the key off?

Clark, the two lines going to the sender cannot not be switched.  One is a slide on and the other goes over a post and is held in place with a nut.  I didn't check the the new sender by operating the arm before installing new unit.  I'll take it back out and try that.

Carl, when I removed one of the wires to the sender the dash gauge went to empty.  Yes, the gauge goes from empty to full when I turn the ignition to the on position. 

I appreciate your suggestions. Do either of you have any other suggestions to this problem I'm having.  I had rather not carry around an extra tank of gas but may have to if I can't get this solved.  May check back with dealer service department but don't want them to charge me $80 per hour to check it out.  

I would take the sender out of the tank, hook it up and move the float. If the guage goes from full to empty, then you moght have to adjust the float. The unit in our boat is a float in a tube, no arm.

Mine has an intermittent problem. We run a while and then anchor. When we start back up it will read full for a while. Eventually it gives an accurate reading.

JSM  --  yours sounds like it is not moving freely, maybe binding. Carl said his is in a tube, not an arm, so it may not be lined up in the tube. I really haven't checked one of those out, so I'm just guessing. But, since it does work after a bit, it makes sense that there may well be an alignment problem that resolves itself with motion.

Steve  --  As we both suggested, remove it from the tank and test it. That should provide you with proof of where the problem lies.

Back