2007 model upholstery changed color over the winter!!!

wandakruse

Reaction score
We own a 2007 Bennington, we decided this winter we would use the cover and store outside and that's what we did.I just removed the covers and cannot believe my eyes, the upholstery has changed colors they are now black and blue and it looks terrible.. Please someone respond with information on how to clean,, I would not even put this on the water it is hideous..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the cover is recommended for "winter" coverage, you need a boat cover or tarp OR SHRINK WRAP for that, ESPECIALLY using a mooring cover that's 6 years old. Do a search as there are tons of posts on cleaning.

From Bennington, posted on forum.

Here are a few helpful tips to help extend the life of your bimini top and playpen cover.

PROPER STORAGE:

We recommend storing your bimini top in the radar position with the boot zipped completely into place. This helps prevent wind, sun and foul weather damage over time. Remember...your top is comparable to a large market umbrella...keep it buttoned up when not in use!

When the playpen cover is fully installed, Bennington "forces" the proper storage position of your bimini top by not offering forward strut cut-outs in the playpen cover. (An ah-ha moment!)

Use all tent poles under your playpen cover, and tighten them securely. The playpen cover helps keep your boat dry and clean, but it is not 100% moisture proof and it is NOT a winter weather cover. A playpen cover is not designed to support heavy piles of snow and ice, or any other additional weight. Owners in severe winter climates should consider inside storage or shrinkwarp each winter.

PROPER CLEANING:

Cleaning your bimini top and storage cover regularly will help maintain that "new boat" look. The fabric can be cleaned to prevent soil build-up by simply brushing off any loose dirt and hosing down with fresh water. (Sunny days help it dry more quickly!) For dirt build-up, use a mild detergent (like dish soap) and fresh warm water. Never use solvents to clean the canvas.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a wonderful product to help protect your clean, dry canvas. We found it at West Marine and Overtons.com.

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

If you are hauling your Bennington, be sure the bimini top is locked in the radar position or trailering-strut position with the boot securely in place.

UPDATE NOTE JUNE 2012 REGARDING HAULING: Bennington does NOT recommend towing with your playpen cover installed. The playpen cover is a "mooring cover" for use when the boat is moored at the dock or stored on the trailer. Although you could easily haul at low speeds/short distances many times and never have an issue, it's the 1 in 100 situation that can catch you. The fabric is durable, but snap-whip from a loosened snap, snap-strain from high speed towing, and various other situations can cause damage to your cover. Use common sense when hauling! Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

Note, you should contact your dealer though. Just because it's not recommended, does not mean there might not have been an issue.

The forum is not for "customer service" issues though, they must be addressed by your dealer through the proper channels to Bennington.

Contact your dealer asap.

We own a 2007 Bennington, we decided this winter we would use the cover and store outside and that's what we did.I just removed the covers and cannot believe my eyes, the upholstery has changed colors they are now black and blue and it looks terrible.. Please someone respond with information on how to clean,, I would not even put this on the water it is hideous..
Out of curiosity............are the black and blue colors like mildew or did the cover "run" it's color onto the upholstery?????? Got pics????????

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.

Sorry to hear about this situation. Since this boat is a 2007, TB believes any color transfer would have certainly shown itself before now. Moisture under the cover likely caused mildew to form, and mold/mildew comes in many colors. The customer can contact his/her dealer with the boat serial number to guard against any fabric or thread issues in that batch of covers. Playpen covers are not designed for winter storage.

The title of this topic was edited by TB.

Definitely need pics! and maybe some info, like what color everything is(playpen, furniture etc.)

I've never had a problem with our 07' and the cover is on all the time it's on the lift. Before we had the dock built it would sit in the water in the elements and no problem then either.

Carl, may have been up north with snow sitting on the cover all winter

Derrick, when you get up tomorrow can you post some pics of your back yard for Carl?

I sat here just laughing, and didn't even have anything good to say!! haha Well played Andy, well played!

Too funny!

Thanks Gents. And with that, I'm out for the night!

Any update or pictures, Wandakruse???????

This is what mine looks like...My mooring cover is on in the winter but under a shed....Most of this happen a few weeks ago when the boat was docked.It was suppose to rain for a few days so I put the cover on for a week...Was sick when I pulled it off.

View attachment 633

View attachment 634

Ok guys I know this is an old post .I been searching for something to remove these mold and mildew stains now for a year. Well finally I was showing them to out chemical salesman and he said O..I got something that will take that off..I laughed so hard......Guess what he knew what he was talking about..If anyone still has a problem as extreme as mine let me know and i will see if theres a way he can sell the product to you are maybe I can buy it and then sell it to you..Its kinda pricey but it works..Its was like 18.00 for I think it was a 24 or 32 ounce spray bottle..Thats not that bad considering what they charge us boat owners for everything..

View attachment 903

20140723_181322 A.jpg

So what's it called?

Back