2012 22 SSI tritoon correct motor length and motor water splashing on motor.

Anders Stefan

Reaction score
I purchased a used 22 ft. SSI tritoon with a 115 Yamaha. After running and pulling tubers I noticed motor was venting and over revving. I went to a Bennington dealer for advice and they told me that my motor was too short and would need to replace with a 25”. I had a new motor installed and now I have water spraying all over motor. Brought it back and raised it up two holes now I have a high spray and not as much on motor. I’m at a loss! Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had this problem?

You wouldn't have needed a new motor to go from a 20" to a 25" as it's just a spacer and a new drive shaft swap to the lower unit. Did you look to see where your av plate on the lower unit is while you are going 50-75% throttle? It should be right at or slightly below the water line. Is this an express package boat? (middle toon doesn't go all the way to the back)

I looked at the option of extension and got a great deal on new. Yes the middle toon does not go all the way back. I did not know it was express package. Thanks for info. Called Bennington this morning and they said this option was just to keep front end up and not for performance? So made it sound like there was not much I could do. Very disappointed! I bought from a dealer that is not a Bennington dealer so I had no idea. I was trying to buy boat I could use for cruising and pulling the kids. Might be better off taking middle toon off? Any suggestions? Thanks for responding.

Keep the middle toon on as that is not your problem. Look at where the AV plate is next time you are out and that will tell you what direction the motor needs to move (up/down). There are a bunch of youtube videos out there showing this.

I purchased a used 22 ft. SSI tritoon with a 115 Yamaha. After running and pulling tubers I noticed motor was venting and over revving. I went to a Bennington dealer for advice and they told me that my motor was too short and would need to replace with a 25”. I had a new motor installed and now I have water spraying all over motor. Brought it back and raised it up two holes now I have a high spray and not as much on motor. I’m at a loss! Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had this problem?

I have the same problem with a 20' 2004 Bennington Pontoon. 2 tunes with "v" tune before the motor and a new 2019 60hp CT Merc. Marina installed at the lowest level holes with a 13/13P prop and gave it to me saying its good to go. Only got 4200 rpm and a river of water going over the motor. Sent it back got a Spite Fire 4 blade prop 13.8/11p and raised motor to highest hole. Still get a lot of spray back into the "v" toon part but not going over the motor now. RPM's up to 5600 so its alot better. Might get a jack plate and try to go a bit higher. See if the splashing will stop. Never had it with the 50HP. Any suggestions?

Back