2014 24ssrx 90 yamaha prop

kcd3257

Reaction score
Im trying to get as much top end as i can out of this setup, boat is underpowered as it is but do not want to repower, currenty running a turning point 13.75x15 prop, I have a solas stainless 13.25x17 prop that i can get that fits, wondering if this will increase top end at all.
Thanks for any help..

The short answer is no. You have no hope of turning that 17p prop to even close to the power band where that motor needs to be. What RPM are you getting with the 15p? It too should be short of desired RPM unless there is massive slippage. At any typical pontoon load, you need to be thinking in terms of a pontoon specific prop in the 11 to 12p range. In any sort of nominal operations, be happy with anything above 20 MPH. Of course, no load and a strong following wind would do wonders.

I had a 2013 ,22 SLX with a 90 on it I hit 28-29 ,WOT was about 5800 .I dont recall the size but it was a 4 blade
Here is a link to the Yamaha Prop selector

I am getting about 5000 at full throttle
Yeah, that's way too low to think about a 17p prop....nothing more than a guess-tamate, you'd be doing well to turn a 17 at 4400...maybe less with the motor so far out of the fat part of it's power band and a prop with less slip then you have now.

Thanks for all the info, I'm guessing that i will need to go to at least a 13 if not 11 to get better overall performance..

On v-hulls, 4-blades tend to have better bottom end performance and are stern lifting. Also, they like to run higher in water (higher motor mount). I would assume physics are similar with pontoons, but I’m a total noob with those. 3 blade should give a better tip end performance.
There are some newer props out there that can buck those trends a bit, though. I think Merc has great props

also, one usually drops more in pitch with a 4 blade vs 3 blade if all other things equal. See if there’s a prop shop around that has some you can try without buying. A good shop can tweak a prop, too (stainless, at least) like taking some cup out, etc. to help increase RPM.

I’m running on a Solas aluminum 13 pitch 4 blade on F100 on a 2575FS. I played with all kinds of props and this one worked out the best.

Back