2016 Bennington SX22 Fishing Tritoon with 150 Yamaha

TWO2019

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking at buying my first boat and am looking at a 2016 Bennington SX22 Fishing Tritoon with a 150 Yamaha.

Can anyone comment on any experience, recommendations, etc.?

Thank you in advance!

If it's SPS with the 150 you can't go wrong.

Hi,
I am looking at buying my first boat and am looking at a 2016 Bennington SX22 Fishing Tritoon with a 150 Yamaha.

Can anyone comment on any experience, recommendations, etc.?

Thank you in advance!
Which model SX22 are you actually looking at? I have a 2016 22SSXAPG I bought recently (pic of the layout below). Mine has the SPS package and an F200 Yamaha. So far, no real complaints. It handles well and is a smooth ride on the water. I just tried out my bow mounted Minn Kota 70 lb trolling motor last weekend and it does a good job moving the boat. Top speed with the trolling motor was 2.4 mph which is more than adequate to fish a shoreline and maybe even use for slow trolling.

What questions do you have? I'll answer what I can and I'm sure others will answer as well. Members on this forum have already helped me out a lot.

upload_2019-3-27_11-18-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-27_11-17-33.png
    upload_2019-3-27_11-17-33.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks so much Mike. I see you are on Lake Greenwood. What a coincidence as I just saw a show about the lake a few months ago. Specifically, the model is a 22SFX with two seats in the front and back. I just received word from the owner that it is a SPS. We like to fish and cruise which I think this style gives us the best of both worlds. I was curious how it maneuvers for fishing especially which you touched on. Also, have you ever used it for skiing or tubing? How well does it do at high speeds. Thanks. Any electrical or live well issues? I plan to see the boat this weekend. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much Mike. I see you are on Lake Greenwood. What a coincidence as I just saw a show about the lake a few months ago. Specifically, the model is a 22SFX with two seats in the front and back. I just received word from the owner that it is a SPS. We like to fish and cruise which I think this style gives us the best of both worlds. I was curious how it maneuvers for fishing especially which you touched on. Also, have you ever used it for skiing or tubing? How well does it do at high speeds. Thanks. Any electrical or live well issues? I plan to see the boat this weekend. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!!
TWO2019, I've only been out on the boat a few times so far.

For fishing, I don't think I'll have an issue, but have not fished from it yet. I actually installed an I-Pilot on the trolling motor last weekend and was testing it out. I was able to maneuver the boat fine, but know it will be more difficult in the wind. I installed the I-Pilot to make it easier to maneuver the trolling motor with a remote from different parts of the boat and also for the spot lock. That will come in handy when fishing over a brush pile or fighting a fish.

So far, my top speed has been about 43 mph and I've made tight turns with no issues. I do not have power assist steering and steering gets harder at higher speeds when you make a tighter turn. I had a 200 horse on my last boat and it was the same, so that does not bother me. I did put a suicide knob on the steering wheel to help. I think with the 150 horse and 2 - 3 people you won't have a problem hitting 40.

No electrical issues and your warranty should "consist of the remainder of the 5-year stem to stern warranty and 10 years on the deck and structure starting at the original date of purchase." This is a direct quote from Bennington regarding the warranty on my 2016. You'll need to work through a Bennington dealer to get the warranty transferred.

No skiing or tubing yet. It is still a little too cold here.

Mike

TWO2019, I've only been out on the boat a few times so far.

For fishing, I don't think I'll have an issue, but have not fished from it yet. I actually installed an I-Pilot on the trolling motor last weekend and was testing it out. I was able to maneuver the boat fine, but know it will be more difficult in the wind. I installed the I-Pilot to make it easier to maneuver the trolling motor with a remote from different parts of the boat and also for the spot lock. That will come in handy when fishing over a brush pile or fighting a fish.

So far, my top speed has been about 43 mph and I've made tight turns with no issues. I do not have power assist steering and steering gets harder at higher speeds when you make a tighter turn. I had a 200 horse on my last boat and it was the same, so that does not bother me. I did put a suicide knob on the steering wheel to help. I think with the 150 horse and 2 - 3 people you won't have a problem hitting 40.

No electrical issues and your warranty should "consist of the remainder of the 5-year stem to stern warranty and 10 years on the deck and structure starting at the original date of purchase." This is a direct quote from Bennington regarding the warranty on my 2016. You'll need to work through a Bennington dealer to get the warranty transferred.

No skiing or tubing yet. It is still a little too cold here.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks so much for the insight and helpful information. Still cold here. We are still thawing out.

Todd

Todd, I think you'll soon discover that there isn't a better pontoon out there. As a couple of people have already mentioned, the SX SPS w/150 is a performer. As long as she was well cared for and you like the layout, I think you'll be thrilled.

Todd, I think you'll soon discover that there isn't a better pontoon out there. As a couple of people have already mentioned, the SX SPS w/150 is a performer. As long as she was well cared for and you like the layout, I think you'll be thrilled.

Thanks. I am excited to drive 4 hours this weekend and look at it...and test drive. :)

Bring your checkbook. You'll fall in love.

It’s an awesome combination, it’s sure to impress. We tube and ski behind ours with no issues whatsoever. Good luck!!

Hello and welcome TWO2019!

We have a 2018 22SSXAPG with SPS and a Yamaha F150 and we love it! We have the hydraulic assist steering and I find it to be just fine. Raindrops hurt at WOT, so I don't need any more power or speed.

I think you'll be ver happy with that setup.

Sounds like it will be a good fit for what you want to do. An SPS with a 150 is a very good combination. I am sure you’ll love that set up. Keep us posted on whether or not you pull the trigger on the purchase. Good luck making a decision.

Back