2017 RSB Roswell Speaker Upgrade

Peter

Reaction score
I'm looking to place an order later this month for a 23RSB. I'm wondering exactly what the Roswell speaker upgrade includes and how it's materially different from the much less expensive Kicker amp and sub upgrade.

Thank you for your help.

Hmm, you may not find many of us on this board that are able to answer that question. As such, I'd do some google research for reviews. Sounds like a nice vessel you're considering. Enjoy!

I know Roswell has a tricked out R series with yellow toons.

What size are the Roswell speakers and what is the upcharge?  Generally, you'll find much better quality in the aftermarket, Polk and JL Audio being top shelf.  But you can't just swap out and get full performance, they must be driven by a quality class d amplifier.

Curious to know if you received your new boat with Roswell speakers? If so what's your verdict on quality of sound?  I ordered a RSB with Roswell but will not receive the boat until the end of the month, hopefully.   I am planning to add a second amp myself if I want more power to the aft bench.  What I really don't want to do though is void the warranty. This will be my second Bennington and I'm buying it in part because of the quality and experience of the first one I purchased. 

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I have the recommendation build sheets from Roswell  if you decide to install the second amp as I suspect I probably will. I can't attach it here so if you want to email me. Ncskylane@gmail.com. Joe

BTW, I have the recommendation build sheets from Roswell if you decide to install the second amp as I suspect I probably will. I can't attach it here so if you want to email me. Ncskylane@gmail.com. Joe

I would be very interested in this as I ordered the Roswell upgrade as well.  Dealer recommended it if you really are into music.  I hope he is right:)  I'll send you my email address.

If all goes well, I hope to get delivery of the boat next week. I'm beside myself with anticipation! I'll post what they installed after I receive it. It should be a nice upgrade. 

Any update yet?

I just picked up my boat this afternoon. I'm afraid I have limited information at present. I only just had a quick view today. As you may recall, I purchased a R23SB with regular Bimini top with the Roswell upgrade. There are 6 speakers and 1 subwoofer on board. 4 speakers facing the interior of the boat and 2 aft-facing under the swingback. They are all 6.5" Roswell speakers. The face covers are unlike any pictures I found on the internet or Bennington's catalogue. I have not removed the speakers to see if they are actually R1 speakers. The subwoofer enclosure is mounted under the helm. It's oriented such that I can't immediately tell which model it is. There is one 800.5 amp that powers the system. How exactly the 4 powered channel outputs from the amp (the 5th channel is clearly dedicated to the subwoofer) are actually powering the 6 speakers is not readily clear. The wiring is well concealed. I expect that 2 speakers are wired in parallel for the right and left interior boat channels. This would give 50w to each interior speaker and leave 75w for each rear-facing speaker. I can't tell how they wired the subwoofer - for 250w or 375w - which would, in part, depend on which subwoofer they installed (the 1211 DVC has two voice coils which can be wired for either wattage, but the Elite can only be wired for 250w). I can say at least 4 things get certain: 1) the sound is good - prompting my wife to make comment on the quality which I can't recall her ever doing in the past. Traveling at any speed above idle eliminates the need for any attempt at sound quality 2) the subwoofer does not make the helm or storage door or attached instruments rattle 3) the coordinated RGB lighted cup holders and lighted speakers is way cool even though I thought it would be gimmicky 4) there is no dual zone volume control as listed in the Bennington description. Perhaps this is only if you get tower speakers. 

here is a pic of the roswell speaker faceplate: 

Thanks Peter.  Looking forward to more info as you get more familiar with the system.

Another day on the lake and a few observations of the Roswell upgrade:

1) Fantastic sound. No need to wish you had Polk or JL Audio.

2) Very loud. No need for more or bigger amps. You can adjust the volume from 0-50. By 25, you can't have a reasonable conversation on the boat. By 30, you are seriously  jamming to a great song. By 35, you are embarrassed the whole lake can hear you. No perceivable distortion of sound. There is no sense the speakers are at  or near their limit or underpowered.

3) You can get the helm to rattle a bit from the subwoofer if you are determined to.

4) The speakers connected in parallel appear to be the mid-boat and aft speakers with the speakers at the bow having their own channel. This actually makes most sense for the crew.

5) You have plenty of bass control via the Kicker 10 radio. No need to consider a separate bass boost controller.

6) Initially, I was concerned with the choice to hook up speakers in parallel on such a pricy upgrade rather than include a separate powered channel for each speaker. I have no residual concerns. I will likely work to eliminate the small rattle on the helm at very high volumes. Interestingly, I noticed it but nobody else did.

This is the first very detailed post I think I have come across with details on the upgraded Roswell system. Sounds like it is a well laid out and great performing sound system.

I am glad this was NOT on the forum before I ordered my boat. You probably would have talked me into upgraded the sound system, and spending even more money. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well done Peter!  Makes me happy I chose to spend a few more precious dollars on it!   Was getting a bit nervous due to no feedback.  Keep us posted if you end up tweaking it or enhancing the system.

Received my new R23 Swing back today and I can absolutely give a thumbs up to the Roswell upgrade.  The sound is clean and with plenty of range on all frequencies and should satisfy any audiophile. My last Bennington came with the stock kicker speakers, no amp and pretty much only useable at low volumes in a quite cove at low volumes. Then and only then did it sound ok. And I mean only ok.  I spent 2500 bucks upgrading with a complete JL Audio system with a 12" sub and 600 watt amp.  After the upgrade the sound was really good. No, it was awesome.  I have to say the Roswell is a bit better and I'm extremely happy with the decision to add it to my build. I also concur that the single amp (800 watts) with the aft speakers wired parallel is not an issue.  My only gripe is that the sub is mounted under the helm and in doing so it  has created a annoying rattle / vibration. This vibration occurs even at low volumes. After about five minutes of surching for where the vibration was coming from I identified the location. The vibration is occurring where the the outter boat skin touches the aluminum framing of the boat.  Not sure how to handle this other than securing the skin to the aluminum frame via a couple of screws or silicone or a rubber membrane to isolate the skin from the frame ???  Anyone else have this problem? If so how did you handle it.?  Thx for any input

Lake Gaston...just sent you a PM too

I took delivery last Friday and love the sound, however, I have the rattling too.  I plan to go in and adjust the bass and need to apply some trim material around the helm door opening.  I think there is a thread on here about putting the material around the edge to help create a better seal and eliminate the vibration.

My sub sounds great but it is not fasted to the floor.  It moves freely under the helm, which is a problem. Called my dealer today and he was going to call Bennington to get the proper installation procedure.  Also, I'm still looking for the amp:).  It was their first Bennington with the Roswell stereo upgrade so hopefully we will get answers soon.

For those of you with the Roswell upgrade, I would truly appreciate pics of how/where your sub is mounted and where your AMP is installed.

Thanks in advance.

The sub is mounted to the floor directly in the center of the helm compartment and the amp to the upper forward aspect of the helm - also in the helm compartment.

Does the sub face forward?

Back