2017 Yamaha 115 Starter

North Mi Rich

Reaction score
Hi all. Was out on the lake chillin for a couple of hours and started up the Yamaha 115. It started, but emitted a high pitched whine while in neutral, which then went away when in forward. Back to neutral the whine started immediately. So I headed back to the dock (slowly) where I could investigate. Once there, I turned off the motor and unloaded the boat. I got my tools and started to investigate, but the motor would not start! It “clicked” at the starter, but the starter would not spin. I tried two other batteries with the same result. I pulled the starter and jumped it with a battery on the workbench - still would not spin. Talked to the dealer and ordered a new starter/solenoid. Put it in the other day - and the motor starts perfectly. My question - has anyone experienced a bad starter on a 3 year old motor with 100 hours? Seems pretty premature for a starter to fail. Thanks.

Are you certain the motor is out of warranty? I thought most motors have at least 3 yr warranty. Check your purchase date. Maybe you can get reimbursed. I am not knowledgeable about starter failures on outboards.

Our 2017 Yamaha 150 has a six year warranty.

Sorry - I failed to mention it was covered under warranty. Otherwise it was a $500 part.

Back