2017 Yamaha 150

Mike31406

Reaction score
How many hours can I expect to get on our soon to be delivered Bennington 22GSR's Yamaha 150.  It will be maintained properly and well taken care of.  How many hours do you put on your Bennie monthly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 150 has over 350 hours on it and hasn't missed a beat.  That is 3 years of off and on use in Ohio's summers (short season) and 1/2 of '15 was shot due to our wedding/planning and LOTS of rainy weekends. We've done the 20 hours service and at the end of every season we have the boat winterized (all fluids/filters changed and stabil added to fuel) which has been roughly 100 hours a year.  We are weekenders at the lake so it's hit or miss on total hours for the year (depending on schedules and weather).

With proper maint. you will see a LOT of hours out of your 150 and many smiles and great memories on your new boat.  

You will have PADS and want a new boat before you ever have to worry about the motor.

There are many Guides, rentals, and charters in Florida who put thousands of hours on those 150's. With proper care, they're as bulletproof as an outboard can be.

That would be well over 100 years for me... 

Way to go Yamaha!

Your PADS boat just got a lot cheaper now that you know you can keep your motor forever...

Once again, the forum comes through.  We really stretched the budget to get our Bennie, but I am glad we took all of your advice.   With what I have read here plus  the 10 year warranty on the Bennie and the six the Dealor got us on the engine I am feeling better about our purchase.  Can't wait to get it in the water.

When you get on the water, you will feel spectacular about your purchase.

I can't use that word without thinking of that Seinfeld episode...

I wonder how long smaller motors last, given they are more likely to run full throttle most of their lives...

I wonder how long smaller motors last, given they are more likely to run full throttle most of their lives...

Depends on how fast its tongue dries out in the wind! 

Sorry Semp, couldn't help myself!

I had a 90hp Merc for 14 years. It was tuned up every other year. It was running just like new the day we traded it. Unless you are using it everyday commercially, I don't think you can wear out any of the outboard motors available today. Technology is just amazing. But you must believe in science to understand this. Opps! Sorry for being political.

I got 28 years out of my Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke before blowing the lower unit out of it (my fault.) 

The 4 stroke motors will last longer than the old original 2 stroke motors--properly maintained.

All I do every year is change the oil, filter and lower unit gear grease.  Every other year, I change the in line fuel filter.  Every 5 years I change the impeller in the lower unit--an easy, simple job with a $28 part.  Modern 2 stroke motors are much more expensive to maintain with a long list of items to attend to yearly.

Thank you all for your insights and feedback.  As usual it is very informative and nice to know information.

I just passed through 600 hours on mine.  Runs and looks like new.  Coming up on 5 years.  Religious on the maintenance.

Back