Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

2018 23SSBXP Sharks Hyde coating - Tritoons turning black

Discussion in 'Technical Stuff' started by seadoolar, Oct 16, 2018.

1. seadoolar

seadoolar Member

Is any body experiencing pontoons turning black/ shadowing ? Tritoon came with a sharks Hyde coating and is never left in water and cleaned after every use. Boat is used in Indian River, DE. (saltwater)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    mbhenry1955 likes this.
  2. Mike31406

Mike31406 Well-Known Member

Pictures might help.

lakeliving and cwag911 like this.
  3. RodEarl74

RodEarl74 Well-Known Member

I have my toons treated with sharkhide. Havent had any issues with them darkening or turning black... I've been very happy thus far

4. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

Where do you boat and what kind of water?

5. RodEarl74

RodEarl74 Well-Known Member

We boat exclusively in the Lower Colorado. Lake Havasu primarily. Its 100% fresh water.

6. Jack M

Jack M Moderator

Never had that issue ,2 Benningtons ,6 years .Both protected with Sharkhide .

7. adkboater

adkboater Well-Known Member

Post some pics, I’m going on 4 seasons and just starting to show signs of wear, but no shadowing or darkening. I’m going to reapply for sure!

8. TomS

TomS Well-Known Member

9. Viking1

Viking1 Member

You stated you clean your pontoon after each outing. Is it possible you have removed the sharkhide coating and now you are seeing the aluminum tarnish?

10. seadoolar

seadoolar Member

It started darkening more more since I got it the only thing I use on it is west marine boat soap

11. seadoolar

seadoolar Member

It’s almost like it doesn’t have anything on it at all buddy mine has a boat from another manufacturer he just has bottom paint and is not experiencing what I am and he’s a 2014 left in the water all summer

12. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

That one spot looks like a strap scuff. That is where sharkide has been scuffed off from what looks like a strap being used to lift the toon?

Vikingstaff and BulldogsCadillac like this.
  13. Havasu

Havasu Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it looks like.

14. seadoolar

seadoolar Member

Just to follow up. Talked to dealer and they forwarded to Bennington. Then I called they are not sure of cause but said they will contact dealer and arrange to have problem resolved - cleanned / polished / reapplied Sharks Hyde coating.

15. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

Better results than I got with my dealer AND Bennington. I have an area that is either some issue with the aluminum OR the sharkhide. It was there when I got the boat new. Bennington reps blew it off and denied warranty coverage. NEVER communicate WHY it was denied even after multiple request for “why” by me.

Irks me every time I hear how “good” or “easy” it is to have Bennington take care of a problem. Their customer service rep Dave Fine was not timely in replying to my inquiries and never never clearly informed me WHY my claim denied).

When I asked to speak with his supervisor that I was told denied the claim, Michael Robinson, I was told Michael would follow up with me. After a MONTH of trying to get Michael Robinson from Bennington to reply I gave up. He NEVER contacted me once.

Bennington was horrible to deal with in my case, and my situation was probably similar to yours. Count yourself lucky on them taking care of it.

16. mbhenry1955

mbhenry1955 Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing and Shark Hyde said that their product is flawless and all the black discoloring is my fault and they would not help at all. I'll have to contact my dealer and ask for their help!

17. Jack M

Jack M Moderator

Sharkhide ,does not last below the water line . I try to wipe mine toons once a week at the sand bar .I have had 2 Benningtons never had black streaks .I have the Sharkhide reapplied every other year .
    From the Sharkhide site
    http://www.sharkhide.com/mpfaq.html

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  18. Angela & Michael

Angela & Michael Well-Known Member

I also boat in Indian River and Peppers Creek. Sharkhide is great but this water ALWAYS does mean things to any & all boats. Even the manufacturer of Sharkhide will tell you that when under salt water...it will lose it protection after a while. If you don’t believe me, email them and you’ll get the same response. You really need to reapply Sharkhide every year below the water line even when pulling after each outing.