2018 23SSBXP Sharks Hyde coating - Tritoons turning black

seadoolar

Reaction score
Is any body experiencing pontoons turning black/ shadowing ? Tritoon came with a sharks Hyde coating and is never left in water and cleaned after every use. Boat is used in Indian River, DE. (saltwater)

Attachments

• Shark hyde 2.jpg
    Shark hyde 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 145
  • Shark hyde 3.jpg
    Shark hyde 3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 134
  • sharks hyde.jpg
    sharks hyde.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Pictures might help.

I have my toons treated with sharkhide. Havent had any issues with them darkening or turning black... I've been very happy thus far

Where do you boat and what kind of water?

Where do you boat and what kind of water?
We boat exclusively in the Lower Colorado. Lake Havasu primarily. Its 100% fresh water.

Never had that issue ,2 Benningtons ,6 years .Both protected with Sharkhide .

Post some pics, I’m going on 4 seasons and just starting to show signs of wear, but no shadowing or darkening. I’m going to reapply for sure!

You stated you clean your pontoon after each outing. Is it possible you have removed the sharkhide coating and now you are seeing the aluminum tarnish?

You stated you clean your pontoon after each outing. Is it possible you have removed the sharkhide coating and now you are seeing the aluminum tarnish?
It started darkening more more since I got it the only thing I use on it is west marine boat soap

It’s almost like it doesn’t have anything on it at all buddy mine has a boat from another manufacturer he just has bottom paint and is not experiencing what I am and he’s a 2014 left in the water all summer

Is any body experiencing pontoons turning black/ shadowing ? Tritoon came with a sharks Hyde coating and is never left in water and cleaned after every use. Boat is used in Indian River, DE. (saltwater)

That one spot looks like a strap scuff. That is where sharkide has been scuffed off from what looks like a strap being used to lift the toon?

That's exactly what it looks like.

Better results than I got with my dealer AND Bennington. I have an area that is either some issue with the aluminum OR the sharkhide. It was there when I got the boat new. Bennington reps blew it off and denied warranty coverage. NEVER communicate WHY it was denied even after multiple request for “why” by me.

Irks me every time I hear how “good” or “easy” it is to have Bennington take care of a problem. Their customer service rep Dave Fine was not timely in replying to my inquiries and never never clearly informed me WHY my claim denied).

When I asked to speak with his supervisor that I was told denied the claim, Michael Robinson, I was told Michael would follow up with me. After a MONTH of trying to get Michael Robinson from Bennington to reply I gave up. He NEVER contacted me once.

Bennington was horrible to deal with in my case, and my situation was probably similar to yours. Count yourself lucky on them taking care of it.

Mine did the same thing and Shark Hyde said that their product is flawless and all the black discoloring is my fault and they would not help at all. I'll have to contact my dealer and ask for their help!

Sharkhide ,does not last below the water line . I try to wipe mine toons once a week at the sand bar .I have had 2 Benningtons never had black streaks .I have the Sharkhide reapplied every other year .
From the Sharkhide site
http://www.sharkhide.com/mpfaq.html

Last edited:

I also boat in Indian River and Peppers Creek. Sharkhide is great but this water ALWAYS does mean things to any & all boats. Even the manufacturer of Sharkhide will tell you that when under salt water...it will lose it protection after a while. If you don’t believe me, email them and you’ll get the same response. You really need to reapply Sharkhide every year below the water line even when pulling after each outing.

Shark hide comes off with pontoon brightener acid wash and a scotch pad helps. Never buying a boat with shark hide again

Personally, I’m not concerned about the discoloration below the water line, but year 3 and our toons look brand new above the water line. I’d get it in a heartbeat again.

Back