2019 23GSB

Evan Kramer

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone own a '19 23 GSB? I ordered this boat sight unseen and never saw the helm. I thought it would be as logically laid out with the normal convenience features you would expect, but am quite surprised with what I received. The GPS had to be mounted on the side and is difficult to see. There is no Speedometer. The backlight is very weak and the instruments can hardly been seen at night. Can anyone send me a picture of your helm of the same boat? I think mine was built incorrectly. Thank you.

You ordered a 2019 built fresh at the factory and you just got it...when?

Last edited:
I got the boat last summer but after seeing many other bennington boats on the lake with their much nicer helms, I'm starting to wonder.

Would love to see pics of your '19 23GSB helm, if you care to post them.

As requested, here is a 2019 23GSB with the optional Simrad GO7 (and optional elevated helm):

Screenshot_20200727-193637.png

2019-BENNINGTON-23 GSB SPS-Conroe-New-N35207-447870.jpeg

2019-BENNINGTON-23 GSB SPS-Conroe-New-N35207-447873.jpeg

What did you order? If you ordered the Garmin Striker 4 that is going to be on the side on a 2019 not on the center like the Simrad is. The simrad is over $1000 more as an option. The dash will depend on how your pontoon was ordered and with what equipment. When I ordered I added the Simrad because I like how slick it looks. That is not "included" that is an option. The defalt GPS is generally the Garmin Striker 4. Which is not installed on the dash on the 2019 model year. There is a speedometer included in that unit however. Best of luck and happy pontooning.

I will take pics and post. That is not what my helm looks like.

Unless you have THAT setup with the SIMRAD, your helm MAY NOT look like that. Helm have also changed as of late so that maybe another reason yours “looks” different.

I also believe the helm was redesigned in late 2019 model year for 2020.

Last edited:
This is my 17 helm. No speedo. I installed a SIMRAD GO5 on bottom right.

541C706C-FBEB-47C8-9DD9-58B4200CF33E.jpeg

I am curious to see your helm pictures. However, from the sounds of everything, I bet Carlson above has the right explanation. Helm layout is mainly dependent on whether or not it has digital or analog controls/gauges with your motor set up PLUS depth finder option choices, and to a more limited degree the radio choice.

I would assume that elevated vs standard helm would also play a role.

I would like to also publicly say thanks to @SEMPERFI8387 for not showing a picture of his speedo!

Define “nicer” helm? Better layout or materials? Agreed with everyone else, layout depends on your options. Below is my helm - I opted out of any fish finder as I’ll be installing an aftermarket that is much more suited to my needs. Also I opted out of a Simrad MFD for similar reasons (my chartplotter will handle all those duties) so I have the Yamaha 6y8 digital gauges instead. All of those impact layout.

As far as quality goes, my SX doesn’t appear to be any different in quality than a G, but compared to the real pricey models there is a marked drop off.

Regarding the backlighting, depending on your accessory there may be dimming options. Example - my 6y8’s weren’t even backlit from dealer delivery, so I had to go into the menu and turn them on. Also had illumination brightness settings 1-5. Not sure if you are talking about your rocker switches, analog gauges, fish finder etc. so you’ll have to clarify for others to chime in.

3A479EDA-8C0C-4D09-B552-12B57A387787.jpeg

This is a better helm. It is the R/Q helm and you pay it for with these models. It's design is very complimentary to the curves of the boat. More stylish and smooth looking.E9A821D9-8185-4EB6-BC50-FD7A49554426.jpeg

I know the new digital readouts are really slick looking in the upscale models, but I kinda like the way my 2017 22 SSRCX was ordered. It has large tach on left, large GPS speedometer in center, large multifunction gauge on right with fuel, trim, and volts. A Garman unit with depth, water temp, GPS speed, etc on starboard side of wheel. I then added a matching look Faria depth gauge mounted in helm on port side just above Kicker head unit and right of 12vdc outlet. That gives me 2 sources of depth, 1 on each side. 2 sources of GPS speed. ............and most important.....2 cupholders! Anywhere you glance while at helm you can see depth, etc easily. And if one reading seems wrong, it is easy to see the second one for comparison. Maybe old school, but it works for me!IMG_4432.jpgIMG_4433.jpgIMG_4434.jpg

Last edited:
Any plans to post the pics of your helm soon, Evan Kramer?
Sorry for the delay. I finally have posted pictures of my helm. Thanks for all your comments and feedback. From your consensus, it seem like what I received was the right configuration. It's just too bad that a "G" series has such a shoddy setup for the fish finder/depth gauge and no speedometer!

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 49
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 52
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 52
Sorry for the delay. I finally have posted pictures of my helm. Thanks for all your comments and feedback. From your consensus, it seem like what I received was the right configuration. It's just too bad that a "G" series has such a shoddy setup for the fish finder/depth gauge and no speedometer!
It must be an extra cost option. Seems like all full size tach, speedo, and multifunction trim, fuel, and volts should be standard on an upscale boat. And then the fancy digital screen be the expensive option. They expect the fish finder as being the gps speedometer source. A lot easier to have it up front and center on decent sized gauges. Here is my 2017 22 SSRCX helm....and it is the older style helm. Maybe your gauges and faux wood trim piece could be changed out to my setup? Tach is probably the same.... so a speedo, and multifuntion gauge and new trim panel. I get TWO cupholders, too!IMG_4434.jpgIMG_4432.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got the confirmation you were looking for, Evan.

It is at least nice to get answers. I think the biggest thing impacting your helm is going for the entry level GPS and non-digital controls based on pictures.

When you option up to the Simrad instead of the entry Striker gps unit they tend to mount them in better locations. When stepping up to the Simrads and digital controls, then it really improves functionality of the helm layout - typically mounted up front and center like in my pictures below.

My Helm Layout: 2017 SSBXP with G-series helm and both Simrad and digital controls. Much more practical layout.

8DB6BA48-9759-469B-911B-29769E604D00.jpeg08EC4CBC-0A36-474A-BB37-EC869649C8F9.jpeg

Jeff, you sure that’s a “G” helm. Looks like a premium S helm as G helms always had a glovebox.
Down below on older model and on face to right on newer model.

..............at least my old style helm has **** 2 **** cupholders! You high rollers will run out of beverage and be just a dehydrated skeleton in the captains chair long before me........lol........:p

Back