2020 Fall Football Thread

I would love to see the FBS go to a 24 team playoff bracket that mirrors the FCS.

It would consist of the top 8 ranked teams as automatics and 16 at-large teams from all D1-A conferences and independents.

First Round
- 8 games of 16 at-large teams ranked below the top 8.

Second Round
- 8 games of first round at-large winners play the teams in the top 8.

Third Round (Quarterfinals)
- 4 games of second round winners.

Fourth Round (Semifinals)
- 2 games of quarterfinals winners.

Fifth Round (Final)
- 1 game of semifinals winners.

With 11 conferences and 7 independents, a bracket this size would give some much-needed coverage, revenue, and recruiting to a lot of the non-P5 teams.

Just got my MSU athletic department notice: MSU v. Maryland canceled due to Covid within the Terrapins program. And just like that, a disappointing MSU season ends in a fizzle.

Onto what we do best...Men’s hoop! Go Green!

Just got my MSU athletic department notice: MSU v. Maryland canceled due to Covid within the Terrapins program. And just like that, a disappointing MSU season ends in a fizzle.

Onto what we do best...Men’s hoop! Go Green!
Bummer, I hadn't seen that yet.

Was cheering on NW. I thought they might win it for a long stretch of that game. Rough not scoring three different times when crossing mid field against OSU. In the end, Ohio St. pulled it out, and in so doing probably saved a playoff spot for themselves.

So, does ND stay in the playoffs after the woopin they took today?

Bama and Clemson are so far above the others that it really doesn't matter.
Maybe I'm not being fair to OSU, they've kept kicking but with a decimated roster.

Bama and Clemson are so far above the others that it really doesn't matter.
Maybe I'm not being fair to OSU, they've kept kicking but with a decimated roster.

Half of OSU’s wins are very sub par teams, and they played fewer games than other teams with comparable resumes. I would put Texas A&M in ahead of both ND and OSU based on strength of schedule and number of games played.

And honestly, I don’t think quality of teams played by OSU is earth shatteringly better than Cincinnati this year, and the Bearcats have played a full schedule of undefeated games. I would personally go: 1) Bamma, 2) Clemson, 3) Aggies, 4) Bearcats.

All of that said, I agree. Bamma and Clemson are again heads and tails above everyone else. Thus, not sure how much it matters.

Well...the teams are announced. Bamma, Clemson, ND and OSU as expected. Blue Bloods get special passes yet once again. As mentioned above, probably doesn’t matter who gets in for the 3 and 4 spots. Alabama and Clemson will likely obliterate whomever they play.

I see your Spartans have opted out of bowl play, along with the Huskers.

I see your Spartans have opted out of bowl play, along with the Huskers.
I was just reading that. Penn St, Nebraska, Minnesota and MSU have all released separate statements to that effect - wont accept a bowl bid this year if they receive one. However, I believe the only one that is even at .500 is Minnesota at 3-3, so none of the rest of those four should even be invited IMHO (including my lackluster 2-4 Spartans).

I think that .500 stipulation is waved this year. I could be mistaken.
You are 100% correct Bill.

I am just saying IMO anyone under it, doesn’t deserve to be in a bowl. Just my opinion though, and others likely differ on it due to the unique nature of this year. To me, someone under .500 getting a bowl invite is like someone getting a participation trophy. ;)

I agree.
However, even with waiving the rule there will be bowl games cancelled due to shortage of teams.

Call the Bison.... they'll come play!

Back