2075 GS with ESP and Yam F115 top speed?

tref

Reaction score
What should I expect for top speed on a 2075 GS with ESP and Yamaha F115?

Does anyone has a guess on what to expect for maximum speed with light load? I have ordered it already but I'm wondering if I should change the engine to the maximum allowed which is 150hp? What would be the speed difference going from 115 to 150?

Thanks,

Francois

Jason, Your answer surprises me. I have not picked up my boat yet but from posts I have read and looking at Yamaha's web site I am expecting 26mph with my F115. I have an RLi with 2 25" toons--can there be that kind of difference between the G and R series. I am asking because I am worried over regretting spending a couple of thousand more and upgrading to the 150. I would love to know what speeds I can expect from the 115 and the 150

I think he's a little high, I have a 90HP 2 25 toon right now and maxes at about 22-23, I don't think 25 extra hp will increase that much. Probably about 25-28 is my guess. Take a look on the Bennington performance bulletins and there should be something.

Derrick

I have a 24 SLi (2 tubes) with a Mercury 115. With GPS I've gotten 29 mph one time with me and two light kids on board. With typical load I get about 26-27mph. Once you get any significant amount of growth on the pontoons the speed drops quickly!

I was just guessing,, I just ordered a tritoon with 150hp and was told it will hit 40mph
I bought a leftover from the dealers stock and it only has the 25" toons and I am guessing that the tri toon would help in the speed department

Thanks for all the replies.

May be I should consider upgrading from 115 to 150, I already have ESP and power steering so I expect the extra cost would be the difference in the outboard.

What would be a reasonable extra charge to switch from Yamaha 115 to 150, including decent boat show discount? My boat is being built ( I was told) but I do not have a confirmed delivery date yet.

Thanks,

F.

When I was considering the same I asked my dealer when we were out in the showroom, he was going to go and look it up but I said just ballpark it for now and he said roughly $2000.

My question now should be just how much more speed am I buting for that $2000? Without changing anything on my current setup of 2two 25" tubes, no strakes WILL ANYONE WANT TO GIVE THEIR OPINION?

I know of 2 RL 2250's with this HP / tube combo. One is a tritoon (3 std. tubes) with a Suzuki DF115 and the other is a 2 tuber (no strakes) with a 150 Optimax (2 stroke). Both run about 33 mph. The guy with the 150 has since added a 3rd tube (no strakes) and now runs about 36mph. He said that he had hoped for more speed, but his main reason for adding the 3rd tube was because he always has a bunch of people on his boat. He is very happy with it. My brother has a RL2050 (2 tuber) with a Yamaha F115. The boat runs a consistent 28-29mph. He plans on adding a 3rd tube for the same reasons.....passengers. We boat on some big waters and, as he's found out, a tritoon is the only way to go IMO. You'll never regret it.

I know of 2 RL 2250's with this HP / tube combo. One is a tritoon (3 std. tubes) with a Suzuki DF115 and the other is a 2 tuber (no strakes) with a 150 Optimax (2 stroke). Both run about 33 mph. The guy with the 150 has since added a 3rd tube (no strakes) and now runs about 36mph. He said that he had hoped for more speed, but his main reason for adding the 3rd tube was because he always has a bunch of people on his boat. He is very happy with it. My brother has a RL2050 (2 tuber) with a Yamaha F115. The boat runs a consistent 28-29mph. He plans on adding a 3rd tube for the same reasons.....passengers. We boat on some big waters and, as he's found out, a tritoon is the only way to go IMO. You'll never regret it.
I just ordered a 2274GL. The line item on the bill of sale for a 150 Yamaha is 6K. IIRC there was about a 2-2500K difference because I originally speced out a 115 then upped it to a 150 with Power assist hydraulic and Sea Star Hydro.

As stated many times, no one ever complains of too much HP or wished they had bought a smaller OBM. You can always throttle back at WOT, but you can't get any more when there's nothing left and you want another 5-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Ben & Suzy. How are they adding the third toon, is it something like the Water Glide I see In PDB Magazine? I thought this was the only aftermarket option.

I have also read and wondered about aftermarket strakes and wondered if they would do a better job then the 3rd pontoon?

I do believe he ordered it right from the local Bennington dealer. I know that's what my brother is doing. Yes, the dealer can get you the center tube of your choice and install it. It's no big deal, just more money LOL! I don't care for the Express Tube Pkg. that Bennington and a few others began using. It is cheaper to buy than the full length center tube, but the disadvantages outweigh any benefit. Fact is, I don't see any advantage to it. Our neighbor works for Bennington and gets a new boat pretty much every year. Last year he had a 22 footer with the Express Tube Pkg. powered by a Yamaha F150. It was a stunner.....absolutely beautiful idling around the lake.......until he got up on plane. The boat rode around like it was doing a wheelie, bow high and nowhere near level like the standard length center tube. It never looked right unless it was at idle or at WOT. My brother and I called it the poor mans tritoon. He made his decision to get the full length center tube after watching that boat. JMHO.

Strakes do help, but the benefits of a center tube are much greater.

No on the Waterglide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for your reply and your advice

I do believe he ordered it right from the local Bennington dealer. I know that's what my brother is doing. Yes, the dealer can get you the center tube of your choice and install it. It's no big deal, just more money LOL! I don't care for the Express Tube Pkg. that Bennington and a few others began using. It is cheaper to buy than the full length center tube, but the disadvantages outweigh any benefit. Fact is, I don't see any advantage to it. Our neighbor works for Bennington and gets a new boat pretty much every year. Last year he had a 22 footer with the Express Tub Pkg. powered by a Yamaha F150. It was a stunner.....absolutely beautiful idling around the lake.......until he got up on plane. The boat road around like it was doing a wheelie, bow high and nowhere near level like the standard length center tube. It never looked right unless it was at idle or at WOT. My brother and I called it the poor mans tritoon. He made his decision to get the full length center tube after watching that boat. JMHO.

Strakes do help, but the benefits of a center tube are much greater.

No on the Waterglide.

I have the exact same boat with ESP and a Yamaha f150hp. I get about 40 with a light load and 37 with a full load. The boat cruises very comfortably at 26 too 28 and about 4500 rpm. Real sweet set up. I think you will feel the difference between the 115 and 150 hp when the boat is loaded up. I am really happy with my boat and motor. Plus the fuel consumption is really good as well. Prop is a yamaha reliance 14.5 x 15 stainless steel.

Hi 1roadking,

Thanks for your input, this is very useful. Can you say what Bennington model you have? R, G or S? 20 or 22 feet?

F.

Thanks for the reply. This is really the same as I'm ordering, GS2075. Do you feel the 22 pontoon being 10% longer would give a similar 10% more drag and 10% less speed ?

Back