20ft SF 2012 max engine size (25" toons)

saltydog941

Reaction score
What is the max engine size we can put on? The resource I found stated:

• Person Capacity w/23" Pontoons (persons) : 9 People / 1,197 lbs
  • Max. HP Capacity : 70 hp
  • Pontoon Diameter : 23"
  • Person Capacity w/25" Pontoons (persons) : 11 People / 1,366 lbs
  • Pontoon Gauge : With 23" Tubes, With 25" Tubes - 0.080
  • Maximum HP Capacity w/23" Pontoons : 70 HP
  • Maximum HP Capacity w/25" Pontoons : 70 HP
I just wanted to confirm this information which was from a boat dealer. From my understanding, the larger toons typically allow a 15-20 increase in HP but according to this resource, there is no allowable difference.

Side note: we just purchased our 2012 Bennington SF with a 60HP 4 stroke Mercury Marine. This is our first ever pontoon so we're excited! Coming from 14 years of owning performance wave runners, this will be a huge adjustment speed wise, but extremely excited for the fun we will have!!

You will have almost no top speed increase with 10 more horsepower. I went from a 40 to a 90 to a 120. It just went less slow with more load. Enjoy what you have.

I wonder if it is more about the framing and transome strength on that model as opposed to the toon size in this case...? Regardless, enjoy the boat! :)

Thanks for all the replies! We've put 30 hours on the engine so far and a good portion was docked or anchored. We are loving it! 19 mph with the wife and our 2 large dogs and 1 small dog. We were loaded with 6 people for the 4th of July fireworks and got 16 mph. While faster would be great, we're having so much fun we haven't really missed the speed. Years down the road we will likely upgrade for watersports.

Another thing to consider: Check with your preferred dealer about the possibility of adding the EPP (express 3/4 center tube) and waveshield, and what the max HP rating is for your 20SF when so equipped. May be as high as 115-150 HP.
Then again, it may only be rated for 90 HP.
I wasn't able to find any specs for it with the EPP from a brief web search.

Back