20SSRXP with XL115 Performance Package

DGC

Reaction score
Hello Bennington boaters, new to the site and to Pontoon boats, I have been reading and searching for on water reviews but have come up short on many 20 foot reviews. We are looking at the SSRXP with the XL 115 Performance package and a 115 Yamaha Vmax SHO and were looking for some performance numbers. Is anyone running this setup or are there any on water reviews available?

Thanks

I've long wondered about the Yamaha SHO motors vs. the same F series motors of the same horsepower.  By governmental regulations, engine manufacturers are supposed to have no more than 110% of posted horsepower, and my F150 is supposedly about 165 horsepower already.

Are the SHO's just pretty paint jobs?  Do they have different camshafts to make horsepower at different rpm's than the F series? Do they really perform better?   On paper, they just look so close together.

I've been waiting for some magazine to compare the SHO's against the F series motors--to see the difference.  Many bass boat owners are in the same position--wondering if the difference in the motors is worth the price charged.

They happen to have one with the Yamaha rigging I am open to an Evenrude also, looking more for how this toon would perform with a 115.

Jump right to the 150 and you'll never have a regret. Wish I had.

We have the 150 on our gsr2250 and couldn't be happier.  There is enough power to handle any watersport you want to do.....top speed just a tick under 40.   With the sps package it rides great as well.  For us the best part is the 150 really isn't that hard on fuel unless you are really working it with a LOT of wide open throttle.  It will channel cruise and idle all day long if that is what you like.  For us around 3K rpm seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy as it's where the sps package seems to get up on plane (not something you normally think of with a pontoon but it does) and just glides across the water.

We just rolled 300 hours on our 2014 150 and it hasn't missed a beat.  I'd say go for the 150 if it's in the budget.

Don't take this the wrong way but 115 and performance don't go hand in hand. I feel I have the duty to say that being a former owner of a 22' bennington with a 115. We ordered it thinking we would have a blast and after 3 months of use sold it and bought a boat capable of hanging more power off the back. If your budget only allows for a 115 so can still have fun on the water don't get me wrong, it's just not going to be a speed boat. I wish I would have came here first before ordering ours with the 115.

I wish I would have came here first before ordering ours with the 115.

"Here" wasn't here when I bought my first Benny in 2010. But I agree completely!

I had a guy in a $150K Mastercraft watersports boat flag me over a few weeks back to tell me how cool my boat is.

You should have offered to trade him on the spot. Then sell that pos MC and get another couple Benningtons

"Here" wasn't here when I bought my first Benny in 2010. But I agree completely!

I had a guy in a $150K Mastercraft watersports boat flag me over a few weeks back to tell me how cool my boat is.

Thanks everyone, how does the the 21 SLX perform with the 150?

I can answer that since I just happen to have one.

I have attained 43 mph, fully aired out (trimmed) with the top down and just me on board.

Last weekend, I hit 42 with the top up and 2 on board. Both are GPS verified.

2 weeks ago, I pulled tubers for the first time and it pulled a 12 and a 15 year old (separately) as good as any speedboat I have used previously.

Trust me..... if you get the 21 SLX with the SPS/150 combo, you will absolutely love it.

PS: My previous boat was a R-22 with Express tube and a black 115. No comparison. Nada.

I just ordered a sl20 with the xl115 package (115 Yahama ) Got the lifting stakes , but no performance folis . (long story with dealer ) . Hope I haven't made a big mistake . Be running the Tennessee river with a lot of chop .

Any thoughts out ther about that?

Just my two cents, never owned a twin tube, but my buddy's twin tube with a 90hp doesn't even compare. I'm positive I could never go back from my SPS/200. I'm sure 150 is plenty on a 21. I came from 19' runabout and the ride is not even comparable, turns almost as sharp ( trust me I do it all the time!)

I am in the process of building a 20 SSRXP from the factory....Tritoon with performance package. The MAXIMUM HP this boat is rated by the factory is 115!! End of story.... I too am of the philosophy that more is better.... But according to the dealer that's it...

I am in the process of building a 20 SSRXP from the factory....Tritoon with performance package. The MAXIMUM HP this boat is rated by the factory is 115!! End of story.... I too am of the philosophy that more is better.... But according to the dealer that's it...

Any reason why you can't go to a 21 SLX? That gets you the SPS/150 option.

Personally, I'd go with the 22SSRX, SPS, 150... oh wait I already did... and you should too.  I also came from a 19' bow rider and I can verify their is no comparison.  If your not limited by length, like others, or if price is an issue, drop the premium and add the length and motor.  Good luck, have fun.   

We also have a 2016 21 SLX, with SPS and love it! We are on a river in Florida and have gotten a mixed bag of either thumbs up, or sour looks after our Benni either kept up with, or out ran their V-boat. Perfect combo - 150 HP + SPS. Handling, comfort and speed. That combo may just be the Hot Rod of the Bennington fleet. And a genuine performance bargain. Ours has seen 44 mph, GPS verified. On the other hand, it's happy just idling along on slow cruise in some of the Manatee "Slow" or "Idle" zones that are common here. 

We also have a 2016 21 SLX, with SPS and love it! Perfect combo - 150 HP + SPS. Handling, comfort and speed. That combo may just be the Hot Rod of the Bennington fleet. And a genuine performance bargain. Ours has seen 44 mph, GPS verified.

Funny you describe it that way, Tooner. I've called it Bennington's muscle car. The GTO, the 442, the GTX/Roadrunner all were relatively inexpensive cars with no frills, save a powerful motor.

Some of these lumbering big boats that seat 15 and are running a 300 can't outrun the 21 SPX SPS/150.

Such fun!

Funny you describe it that way, Tooner. I've called it Bennington's muscle car. The GTO, the 442, the GTX/Roadrunner all were relatively inexpensive cars with no frills, save a powerful motor.

Some of these lumbering big boats that seat 15 and are running a 300 can't outrun the 21 SPX SPS/150.

Such fun!

Hey,hey. Leave our bigger boats out of this.38 with 15-16 people on board is pretty darn good in my book.Maybe not a hot rod,but a fast bus. Besides, I can move everyone faster to some where. Considering that the smaller boats will have to run back a second time to get the job done.SO THERE.

Such fun!

While I'm sure you are on to something there, I'm here to defend those of us "lumbering" breed! I've hit 39 MPH with twelve on board plus gear while being pushed by a 250. And frankly, even loaded up with 16, I'm betting it'll still be close to that. 

However, I am smart enough not to get into a race with a small triple toon with a little old 150 on the back! lol 

Back