21LL or 22LL

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and in the process of designing a boat. I've got a few questions that I'm hopeful you can help with:

1. I'd like to get the 22LL, but the motor will stick out some (probably about 1'-1.5') beyond the end of my dock. I'd prefer to have the boat and motor all the way under the top dock, but how big a deal is that if I get a cover for the motor? Because of this issue, the boats I've built have been the 21LL.

2. A neighbor highly recommends the elevated platform for visibility. It seems like most people like that, but perhaps more for the look than the functionality. I would only get it for the functionality, so wondering how much the extra 4" helps. (I'm 5'9"" and the admiral is 5'5"). I could also do the bolster seat, but it is only half a seat when up. I have that on my MasterCraft, and it's not all that comfortable. What do you think about the bolster seat option?

3. The same neighbor says not to go less than 24'. As noted, if I go to the 22 (which is 23'9"), it won't fit all the way into the slip. He said I would not be happy with the performance of anything less than a 24'. What are your thoughts on that? I'm getting the sports performance package on any boat I get it that's relevant to the question.

4. If I go with the 23'9" boat, will a 150hp motor be big enough, or will I need to step up to the 200hp?

Thanks!

Welcome ! Here we go you will get a lot of help spending your $$$ ! The bigger the better so what if if sticks out ? Yes on the elevated platform. How big is your lake? A lot of boat traffic? Big waves? Personally I would go 24' SPS 150 h.p. We have a saying on here "Buy your last boat first ". Members will now chime in to help but will confuse you. Good Luck !

Last edited:
We have the 22GSR, it sticks out a foot or two from the covered lift. I haven’t had any issues. I keep a cover on my Yamaha when not used for extended periods. I enjoy our Elevated helm. Extended aft deck and power steering are highly recommended. You will not regret getting them.

I know I’m in the minority but I do not like the elevated helm. My main reason is I like a level floor I have used an elevated helm in the past and on my new Bennington I did not get it. I am much happier with the level floor. It does look more “premium” with the elevated helm but I am glad I opted out. With that said I am 6’6” and visibility is not an issue, my wife is 5’6” and she can see just fine also. If you stick out a couple feet in my opinion that is worth it to have more room on your boat. Get a motor cover if you are worried. Best of luck! Happy tooning!

Last edited:
I have a cover for my motor ,just another minute or so to put it on . Plus 1 on the elevated helm ,I got it for functionality . Do trim you motor up or leave it in the water when docked ? If you trim it up ,add more to your length .
And most of all .You will never buy HP for as low of a price than at the time of your order .

Welcome BRB! As others have said, you can always buy an engine cover (I have one) and the elevated helm does give you a better view. As for HP, you'll never regret having more so buy as much as your budget allows. That said, a 22' with 150 is a very popular choice. Let us know all the details once you get her ordered.

My dock is 22' long with upper coverage.

Ordered a 22'LSR which is 23' long, and a few more feet for the engine. Ordered Touchless over which will bump out to ensure the entire boat is covered. We get hail in Texas and would hate hail to ding up my engine if not covered.

One other possible consideration for the length choice is your dock's lift, if so equipped. You will want to have ample support at the rear of your boat. So if there is a lift but it is too short to support the longer boat, you will either have to extend it somehow or go with the shorter 'toon. Also, I have the bolster seat and readily concede that it is not as comfortable as full seating on a raised helm platform; however, like Carlson80, I like the clear, level floor (no trip hazard). This will just be a personal preference item. I recommend the highest HP that your boat is rated for. Welcome to the Bennington Family!

Welcome to the forum BRB. Our boat sticks out a couple feet from our dock. No big deal. If you're worried about the motor cowling wax the crap out of it like I have or get a motor cover. Never had the raised helm but have sat on friends boats that have it. Looks cool but don't know how much more visibility you will get with an additional 4 inches. If I cant see clearly someone is going to have to move or lay down. I've had a 22 footer and currently have a 24 footer. Both boats have performed and handled well. Very similar. Where do you boat in the Blue ridge?!

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_161404133.jpg
    IMG_20210114_161404133.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 10
I’ve got a 23’ with a 20hp motor that sticks out from end dock. So far so good.
It’s all relative to your wants and needs, but go big now (boat and motor) as it’s always cheaper now vs. later.

I’ve got a 23’ with a 20hp motor that sticks out from end dock. So far so good.
It’s all relative to your wants and needs, but go big now (boat and motor) as it’s always cheaper now vs. later.
Yep. My biggest concern is that we have people jumping off the top dock, and I want to make sure that the motor would not stick out too far and cause an injury. I think I'm likely okay there, but can anyone offer any insight into whether moving from a 21LL to a 22LL with one foot of difference in overall length would feel materially different or more comfortable in terms of space and seating in the boat? I know a 21LL will fit my slip, but I think a 22LL will stick out just a little (about 6").

Yep. My biggest concern is that we have people jumping off the top dock, and I want to make sure that the motor would not stick out too far and cause an injury. I think I'm likely okay there, but can anyone offer any insight into whether moving from a 21LL to a 22LL with one foot of difference in overall length would feel materially different or more comfortable in terms of space and seating in the boat? I know a 21LL will fit my slip, but I think a 22LL will stick out just a little (about 6").
Your answering all of your own questions! Just do what you want we gave you our advice!

Jumping off the top deck onto the engine would certainly be a concern. If it were me I would put up some type of fence. Otherwise someone, a friend etc. may not be aware of the potential danger. Don’t disregard those who make it a challenge to jump anyway and clear the engine.

Thanks for all the input. I placed an order yesterday for a 22LL. I determined that it would likely only stick out about 4 inches at most, and it will be about 4 feet off to the side from where people will be jumping from the top dock, so I think I will be fine. I can also take the boat off the lift and tie it close to the front of the slip when people are jumping, and it will then be all the way under. Now the unbearable wait for delivery begins!

Back