21SF QUESTIONS

VJAY

Reaction score
Have decided on a  new 21SF. I have a new 90hp merc fourstroke. Planning on installing it on the 21SF. Might try and sell it so we could upgrade to a 115. Either way were going with two 25" tubes. Would there be any benefits to going with the dual eliptical tubes vs the round ones ??  80% of our trips will be the wife and i fishing. Other trips would be with the kids and grandkids. Six adults and three littleones. Mostly cruising, swimming and some tubing. Local lakes can have waves from 2-3 ft in really windy situations. Usually dont get out when its like that but sometimes get caught in bad weather. Boat traffic creates most of the bad wave action on these lakes. Currently thinking about adding strakes to the round tubes. Appreciate any input from ya'll.

I have the eliptical tubes on a 21 SLX with out the extended rear deck, and boat on the same kind of a lake. The boat rides high and dry due to the 32" oval design. They have strakes on both sides. With a 150 SHO Yamaha, full fuel and 2 people, top down she will run a strong 43. I pretty much never have to worry about water coming over the front end. The only draw back I have seen is that it may ride the water a little bit rougher than a tri toon. I think the reason for that is, it seems to get up on top of the water a little more, when running. But in rough water, I think they all would ride a little rough. Turns extremely flat.

Going from a 90 to 115 is at best a marginal change, ESPECIALLY if you don't have lifting strakes. Depending on budget and performance needs, a 150 will always be the sweet spot in the lineup. Others can comment on how a twin elliptical performs with a 115, though many here are using 150's in that application, such as DTaylor2954.

Dtaylor, when you say turns extremely flat. Is that a good or bad thing ?? As far as staying with the 90hp will it have enough power to utilize the strakes or would that be a waste of money adding that option? Have had thoughts of adding the express performance 3 tube pkg. Again is that overkill for a 90hp ?? Have priced with SPS pkg and 150. That was nearly $10,000 more in price! Sure that would be an awesome rig. Just dont want to spend that much. Soo many options!! About to drive me crazy !! As far as fishing goes the 90 will be fine. As far as top speed goes its not that big of a deal. My Basscat takes care of that need !! So i guess my biggest concern is to be able to pull a tube or waterski in the 20-25mph range.

I would go with the strakes, on any tubes and the wave shield underneath. The turning is not a bad thing, just thought I would mention that.

Banking to the inside of the turn is ideal, which the 3 tube SPS and ESP hulls will do (for $$$). Turning flat will scrub off some speed and can be a wee bit uncomfortable for passengers (hang on!). Strakes will help a lot with planing, whether 90, 115, or 150, otherwise you're going to be plowing.

Get the strakes, keep the 90, and stay happily within your budget. It will be a great boat, especially for fishing, can't go wrong.

Back