22 GSR with Yam. 115 Top Speed Check

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2019 22 GSR with Ultra Legs, two tubes, no lifting strakes, and a Yam. 115.

I was wondering if a top speed of 23 mph is reasonable.

Dealer refused to add a 150 given the weight of the motor and Ultra Legs, thus I went with the 115. Kind of wish I waited for a few more $'s to upgrade to 150 3 log boat, but probabily would have delayed given COVID-19 situation.

Thanks,
Pat.

Hi, I have had 2 different two log boats in the past with 115hp motors (with Sea Legs) and 23-25mph was where I was at for speed.
Our current boat has a 150hp with SPS and Sea Legs and can hit about 33-35mph.
Check to see where your rpms are at wot just to make sure you’re propped right.
Also, I find it strange that your dealer would make you go with a smaller engine because of the legs. As long as you’re under the weight capacity I don’t see how it’s any of his business and the legs are maybe the weight of 2 passengers. Not a big deal.

Thanks Renegade34. Sounds like I am close to your experience. Is your current boat a 3 log setup?

The dealer had some very strong feelings about adding the 150. His opinion was the weight of the UltraLegs and two batteries added almost 400 lbs, plus another 100 lbs for the 150 hp, resulting in very poor handling for a 2 log boat. He said if I required the 150, I would have to sign a waiver that we were notified against that combination.

I had a similar experience with my previous boat: a 2-log 24' Fisher w/Mercury 115 4-stroke. I talked to a dealer in Alabama about upsizing the motor to 150 because I wanted more speed and the boat was rated for it. He discouraged it, saying for the money I wouldn't get much more speed out of it because I wouldn't have enough buoyancy on 2 toons for that heavy a boat to get on top of the water, even with 150 ponies. I did have 2 big trolling motor batteries under the front seats but no sea legs. He never mentioned any waiver.

I agree with the dealer in that it is likley not worth the money to put a 150 on a 2 leg pontoon that has ultra legs (particularly without lifting strakes). However, in the end, that’s the consumer’s choice if rated for it. I like someone sharing an informed opinion as the dealer did, but at that point, they’ve done their part.

The idea that they would expect you to sign a waiver is too much in my mind. Unless that were my only dealer choice (and I can appreciate if it is), I’d tell him “thanks, but no thanks”. It would be time to take my money and buy a very expensive product from someone else.

what rpms are u reading at full throttle? these motors reach max hp @ 6000 rpms which is where you should prop your boat to reach these rpms.

Good point - I will check the RPM's but sounds like it is consistent with other similar setups.

Good point - I will check the RPM's but sounds like it is consistent with other similar setups.
MY gl2250 (2 Toon) would only turn 5500 rpms and run 25 mph switched to a lower pitch prop now at 6000 rpms and runs 28 Mph same prop brand just changed pitch for higher rpms.

Aside from the prop tuning advice given above, I would say, based on my previous experience with a similar boat (but a black motor) that you are running the average top speed for that combo.

Agree with Goldenrod, my R with a Yamaha 115 and two toons does about 26wot

Back