22 SSX fuel tank relocation

SailorGene

Reaction score
I am a central Florida lake dweller who uses 5-gallon "Jerry" cans to fuel boats.

I just bought a 2013 Bennington 22 SSX and learned, after I bought it, that the fuel filler cap is in the rear of the stern live well rather than on the port side as it was on my previous boats and is on other Bennies. The location of the filler cap makes it necessary to balance on the forward part of the engine mount and/or the rear boarding ladder and is very awkward to use.

This stern refueling balancing routine is an accident waiting to happen.

I asked the dealer about relocating the existing tank to the port side hinged-lid box which houses the battery, changing curtain, etc-- so the filler neck would be through the port side fence. But I was told that Bennington did not carry the right size tank.

Have any other 22 SSX owners changed the location of their fuel tanks?

Please advise!

When you fill with the cans do you pour or use a Super Siphon? And welcome to the forum.

We have a 2012 Bennington 22SSI with the rear live well and fuel tank under the live well. I also refuel with 5 gallon cans on the water. I use a super siphon placing the fuel can on top of the live well lid. This works great! I do see it would be a problem trying to pour fuel into the tank filler neck with a 5 gal fuel can, no place to stand and things in the way (ski tow)! RiverBill

When you fill with the cans do you pour or use a Super Siphon? And welcome to the forum.
I agree the placement of the fuel fill can be cumbersome to try to fill, but as Carl noted, Super Siphon is SUPER easy and a heck of a lot cheaper. :)

Back