2275 GCW with F150XA a dog in corners when tubing

mrbsdad

Reaction score
When swinging a tube it just falls on its face

I have a 2013 2275GCW with a Yamaha F150XA

Prop is a yamaha reliance series 15-m 14 1/2

Have esp package with lifting strakes

18835918_1314843251962878_693704844130453659_n.jpg

I have the same problem with a 90hp.  Too much boat.

When swinging a tube it just falls on its face

I have a 2013 2275GCW with a Yamaha F150XA

Prop is a yamaha reliance series 15-m 14 1/2

Have esp package with lifting strakes

View attachment 1808

So you have the 3 full length tubes with the one in the centre being elliptical? Just double checking as there was some confusion before with a different member. 

Unless its a bad pic I dont see a  center tube 

Last edited by a moderator:
So it just bogs down when you are turning?!?

How many people do you have on the boat when you are tubing?!?

Is the outdrive trimmed up when you are turning?!? 

Mine will slow down also, while they are good performers there are limitations.  I tube around 20 mph or so with a teen/adult, when cornering, trim down and accelerate to carry speed.  If you pull wide open you have no choice but to be slowed down when turning, especially if it's a 180, it's slowing down.  I had to change my driving style from the old glass v hull.  Leave yourself some throttle for the turns.  

Same as math, have to give a little more throttle in turns to maintain speed and ease off when straight.

Jack

Only a pooch in sharp turns. Usually trimmed at 3/4. I have it 38 gps on straight shot with two adults and almost full tank. I was reading somewhere that a 13 pitch prop is better for water sports but you sacrafice top end. 

I bought a 4 blade turning point prop for water sports and it worked great on my previous boat which was similar to yours.   Much less prop blow out and  only lost 1 mph top end.

I was reading about those but there were mixed reviews so that good to here. Some said it had a much better hole shot. Do you remember what size and pitch you had?

Last edited by a moderator:
While tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, etc. etc. Keep the trim all the way down.....

Trim down in tight turns. I could kill someone behind our boat on a tube! 

TejasNewbie - we went out again today and a buddy went with that had been out with me before and noticed a significant difference with it trimmed down. My oldest even asked me to slow it down when turning because it was hurting his arms trying to hold on during the sling shot

The truth is the ESP center toon adds substantial weight and has quite a bit of drag. It's worthy of far more engine than 150 hp. The fact that you're getting 38 mph means the engine height and prop is correct for general cruising. Dropping back to a 13 pitch prop would work better for water sports, but it'd cost you some top end speed.

Back