2275 RCW ESP w Yamaha 150 23 MPH Top Speed

Captain Gump

Reaction score
Bought a Bennington 2275 RCW ESP last year, and had it serviced last Fall at the end of the season.  I have the Yamaha 150 HP Model F150XA on the boat.  

There were five (5) adults on the boat yesterday, and I could not push it over 23-24 MPH.   Anybody have a 250 HP Engine they want to give me?  This Yamaha 150 HP just will not push this Benny at the speed I so desire.

Can you give more specifics - rpm, propeller size/pitch?

What was your previous performance, before the service?

Unless they were some really big adults, I'd say something isn't right. Are the toons clean?

Toons are not real clean, but not real bad either.  The boat has been sitting in water all winter, and they were cleaned last Fall when the boat was serviced.

Small adults, probably no more than 800 lbs among us.  RPM's were pretty good, up around 5500-5800.   I can't remember the specifics on my prop, but my dealer sold me "the best stainless prop" when I bought the boat.  I have no reason to think there is a specific problem with the prop.

I think when I first got the boat, there were days when I would get close to 35 MPH, but it got slower over the summer.   After the toons are cleaned, it seems that I can maybe hit 26-28 MPH with just one other person and me in the boat.  I would be a happier camper if I could get in that 35 - 38 MPH range.

Please give us some specifics on your prop.  Sounds as if your prop may not necessarily be the best for your application--and moss on the toons may be slowing you.

The best prop on my 24SSLX with F150 is a Yamaha Reliance stainless steel 15 pitch prop, and I'm seeing 40-41 mph GPS @ 6000 rpm's.  Most other owners are reporting to be in the same ballpark.

Sounds like the logs need cleaning badly. Not just a scrub while in the water but pull the boat and acid clean to logs. I can't believe it's anything else considering it did run 35mph. And that number could be low depending on prop and loading.

Steve

With 3 toons, dirty toons will really slow you down.

I'd also say its the logs.  You should be seeing mid to upper 30's at the least with your set up.  Any type of list or lean?  I really doubt it, but any chance one log took on some water making it heavy while setting in the water all winter?  Do you notice it setting any deeper in the water then usual?  I don't see where you are from, but I assume its a very warm area to leave it in the water year around.  Did you use the boat at all over the winter or did it just set in the water?  Were these speeds on GPS or speedo?

Its really hard to clean that 3rd tube.  You may not see the build up on the outside tubes if you scrub them fairly often but its the stuff you can't see / can't get to that will really get nasty

Any pics you send us of the tubes?  I'd pull her out and give them a good acid bath wash and then put it back in and see if that makes a difference

Good luck

What Todd said.

Todd - Saw your old prop in my laundry room today (that's where I keep all the boat stuff over the winter).  Can't wait to put it back on the boat!  Thanks again...

DanO

I knew you were a man of honor.  You keep that prop indoors during harness winter months.  You pay attention to details.  I like that!!!!

You're more then welcome.  Glad everything worked out for the best and you are happy with the Benny

What Todd said.

Todd - Saw your old prop in my laundry room today (that's where I keep all the boat stuff over the winter).  Can't wait to put it back on the boat!  Thanks again...

Even last Fall, just after having my engine serviced, and my pontoons acid washed by the mechanic in the marina, this RCW 2275 ESP with 150 HP Yamaha could not even push 30 MPH (GPS Speedometer) on a calm day, with me alone in the boat.

Everybody on here says I should easily be hitting 35-38 MPH.   Maybe I just bought a lemon for an engine?  Were that the case, how would I go about having Yamaha replace my motor?

Start with your dealer ,then yahama .

Even last Fall, just after having my engine serviced, and my pontoons acid washed by the mechanic in the marina, this RCW 2275 ESP with 150 HP Yamaha could not even push 30 MPH (GPS Speedometer) on a calm day, with me alone in the boat.
Now I'm suspect that you tubes were not cleaned well, especially the center tube and the insides of the out tubes. It's really tough to clean those areas, with acid you almost can't stand it, you must wear protective gear for skin and breathing.

Guess I'm still not sold. Take it by your dealer.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve:

Thanks for your feedback.   I think you are right and I posted some wrong information above.  The mechanic did not "acid" wash the toons.  He "spray" washed them.  That is a big difference. 

Maybe after the water warms up a little more, I will have the kids jump in the water with me, and we will swim under the boat and spend a good half-day scrubbing the insides of the toons.   I have read about Scotch-Brite pads here in the forums.  I would assume I need to stay away from any steel wool.  

Is there any type of pad / sponge / cloth / brush that others have used in the water for scrubbing the algae off their pontoons?

I use a mild grill scrubber, red color scotch brite with handle. I clean my toons in the water, every couple weeks and it takes me 1/2 hour or so, 2-25" toons.

The drag that comes from a dirty hull can take 40% of the speed from your motor. Add the drag, plus the extra weight of the growth, plus the hard working motor and you get an  over worked engine that in time builds up deposits and catch 22 sets in. Dirty boat and Dirty motor. Cleaning in the water won't give the cleaning pressure that you'll need to make a dent in the growth. Pull her out and give her a proper cleaning then see if your MPH gets back to 35. Good luck.

I disagree, a good scrub can beat a pressure wash. At least some of the pressure wash jobs I've seen. After I scrub my toons, I guarantee they are as clean as day one from the factory, other than the water line which is smooth, but noticeable.

Did you ever fix your problem with the speed? Are you trimming the motor up enough? I noticed I was barely able to get 30 mph on mine and then I started adjusting the trim and gained almost 10 mph. On my old boat I never adjusted the trim more than 1/4 now I usually run top speed with the trim almost full up on the indicator and run 39-40 mph with the Yamaha 150.

Jimmy, Yes I have trimmed my motor up and down.  Trimming up does definitely help some.  I am having my 'toons acid washed right before Memorial Day weekend.  I will let you know how much of an improvement that I see.   There is a pretty good build up of algae on the pontoons, and this is creating quite a drag.   The guy cleaning my pontoons is gonna clean all three toons, giving special attention to the hard-to-get places on the middle pontoon.

Back