22SSRX w/Evinrude 135 HO ordered!

The change to sps was a big improvement. Question though, if a 135 evinrude claims to put out 150, why don’t they throw a 150 sticker on it? I’ve always wondered about this.

Well from what I read the 135 and 150 are the same engine with a few minor changes mostly software tuning. Motors can be plus or minus 10% of their rated HP. So the 135 "HO" series is on the high end, like 148 HP. If you get a 150 HO, it may be more like 165 HP. These are made for people that have a max HP sticker and it is a little "fudge" to get a little more power. Yamaha has their "Vmax" line which is their plus 10% equivalent.
In my case the salesman said Evinrude had a promo where I could get the 135 HO for the same price as the F115 Yamaha. I guess they are trying to get some market share from Yamaha.

OK so the boat is in and we drove it today and I'm not sure what to think. With 3 of us on board and no other gear, I could only hit 33 mph. I expected more. I could have swore my neighbor with a 23ssrx and Yamaha 150 was nearing 40 mph. I didn't sign for it and told them I had to think over night. If I can only hit 33, what about when all the gear is on and 4 or 5 people? The salesman I ordered from said it would be close to 40 mph. What to do?

Did you play with the trim? What were the rpm’s?

I would have not expected a 135 HP motor to go 40 mph.

Good decision to go with the SPS tritoon, you will be glad you did it. BTW welcome to the forum and to Bennington.

OK so the boat is in and we drove it today and I'm not sure what to think. With 3 of us on board and no other gear, I could only hit 33 mph. I expected more. I could have swore my neighbor with a 23ssrx and Yamaha 150 was nearing 40 mph. I didn't sign for it and told them I had to think over night. If I can only hit 33, what about when all the gear is on and 4 or 5 people? The salesman I ordered from said it would be close to 40 mph. What to do?
If you were told it would be faster and were expecting it to be faster, I would make sure the dealership knows that. I would also tell them they need to figure out the problem before you sign for the boat. From everything I've read, those ETEC HO's are strong engines and I would expect performance close to a 150. Not equal to, but close.

What prop is on it?

I don't know the prop size. We were at 5,900 RPM at 33 mph. I moved the trim all the way up and it never went any faster.
The guy thought a pitch change may gain 1 mph. Once gear and people are aboard, I think 30 mph may be tops. My old boat could do 24 that way, not that much difference for over $40K. And that was more that I intended to spend, but every where I turned it was upgrade this/that. Now I need a bigger motor?

Some other things in life have come up. My Wife is having a herniated neck disc removed and fusion on Thursday. I don't think she can even go on a boat for some time. I feel like walking away and rethinking about it later.

Sometimes, especially in times of indecision on a big decision, that is a wise move...

(Wishing your wife the best for a safe and speedy recovery.)

Mike, sorry to hear of your disappointment. Honestly, with a tight budget I personally would have swapped the center tune storage for more HP but that's just me. Hope it all works out to your satisfaction!

hate to hear that about your wife, good luck to you both. IMO walk away, there will always be a boat ready to buy that fits your needs, and you can keep researching your perfect boat even more.

I am going back tomorrow with my sons. I spoke to another employee at the marina and he said while he understands my disappointment with the top speed based on the boat show salesman's claim, that is decent performance for a 22 foot triple w/extended aft deck. If I want faster, I should expect to pay more.
Most of our time is cruising at 5-10 mph, or anchored and swimming. We tried tubing a few times last year with the Sweetwater, but it was boring for teenagers. But if now I can go 30 and turn a lot sharper, that should do, right? That's really my only performance criteria.
Am I settling or being realistic?

I am going back tomorrow with my sons. I spoke to another employee at the marina and he said while he understands my disappointment with the top speed based on the boat show salesman's claim, that is decent performance for a 22 foot triple w/extended aft deck. If I want faster, I should expect to pay more.
Most of our time is cruising at 5-10 mph, or anchored and swimming. We tried tubing a few times last year with the Sweetwater, but it was boring for teenagers. But if now I can go 30 and turn a lot sharper, that should do, right? That's really my only performance criteria.
Am I settling or being realistic?

Sorry your wife is facing those medical issues. Best wishes on a strong recovery! Tough timing and decisions. Perhaps it’s just a bad time to make such a big financial decision. If you aren not feeling it, with everything else going on, maybe walk away. There is always next year to order after an entire summer of perhaps test driving a few differently configured boats to help make the right purchase next year?

As for thoughts on your current potential order: Once you are talking water sports with teens through adult sized people, I honestly think you are best off with a 150HP+. Of course that doesn’t always fit the budget on these very expensive boats.

You did switch from an EPP to an SPS and that will garner significant improvement toward water sports. However, any salesman insinuating you might be near 40mph with it was really blowing smoke up your...well you know. With a perfectly dialed in 150HP you will be near that range top end WOT, but not with a 135HP, even if it’s dialed in really well.

How loaded down do you think you will be with gear, people, and teens tubing? If not heavily loaded down, that 135HP will do the trick. With a light load and water sports, or a heavy load but no water sports, I think it will do just fine. If you think you’ll be more loaded down and tubing more often, and/or you are concerned with more top end speed, then a 150 is a guaranteed happy spot.

That said, the boat overall sounds really nice. You have some nice options on it. I’m sure its a real beauty, and it certainly can do tubing with that motor.

Well the Evinrude is "supposed" to put out 148 HP that's why I thought it would be ok. I guess the 2 stroke has more bottom end, launching power than top speed, which is probably ok. It did launch really hard and get on plane very fast.
Water sports is not our main pastime, I just want the option. I also don't think I would tube with more than 4 or 5 people on board.

Well the Evinrude is "supposed" to put out 148 HP that's why I thought it would be ok. I guess the 2 stroke has more bottom end, launching power than top speed, which is probably ok. It did launch really hard and get on plane very fast.
Water sports is not our main pastime, I just want the option. I also don't think I would tube with more than 4 or 5 people on board.

You’ll honestly be fine with it then in all likelihood based on what you are saying above for tubing use.

As for the 135 putting out closer to 148,kKeep in mind most 150’s put out a little more than 150 too. My supercharged 200 cranks out a bit more than 200.

That’s why it’s relevant to consider - the gap is still largely there. Sales people like to say things like that without then mentioning that the 150 they are comparing your 135 to will put out a little more than 150.

In the end, that salesperson was full of ___ in telling you it would be near 40 mph. And that type of BIG overstatement would have me coming back very displeased and untrusting of that dealership as a result...

I agree with Vikingstaff"s statement completely. I have always heard that the Yamaha 150 actually puts out closer to 165. Still 33 mph seems slow for a sps hull with a 135. I had a 21ssrx with the express package and a 115 and could hit 34 (34.8 via gps) with a full tank of gas and just me aboard. With me, my wife and 2 kids we would be right around 31 mph. I now have a 23 ssbxp with sps and a 150 and it will touch 40 (40.0 via gps) with just me aboard, 38 with my wife and 2 kids. So, I would think with a 135 you should be right around 36-38 mph with a light load.

Also, pulling a tube in the mid to upper 20's is about as fast as I like to go. I could do that with a light boat with the yamaha 115, but with a loaded boat could only hit around 20-22 at wot:(.

Praying your wife has a safe and successful surgery.

I’d recommend the 150hp. When I was boat shopping our local dealer was pushing the Etec hard and saying the same thing about them putting out much more than the nameplate hp but in my opinion there’s no substitute for displacement. I’d say it’s better to have the power and not need it all then have a smaller engine working at max capacity.

Thank you all for the advice and well wishes. We drove it again this morning. This time 5 people including salesman. The get up and go is good, but at wide open we could only hit 31 mph. The 2 stroke seemed rather noisy, and not as smooth as our Yamaha.
I also didn't like the elevated helm option. The whole helm is about 4" higher, but they put a shorter seat on it? I'm 6'2" and sitting in the captain's chair my knees where touching the steering wheel. I felt like I was squatting on a child's chair. The co captain's chair felt much better with my feet flat on the deck.
I told the salesman that knowing what I know now, I would order it differently. He said then that's what I should do. He did say it will probably be the 4th of July before I get it.
So I will eliminate the elevated helm and change to a Yamaha 150.

Sounds like it will all work out. Sounds like your dealer is working with you too. The Yamaha 150 is bullit proof.

Back