Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

23’ SPS w 115? Is the In Floor Storage lockable?

Discussion in 'Owners Chat: Options and Upgrades' started by dannyleininger, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Active Member

I have a 23 SSX on order. It was ordered with the SPS and 115 Yamaha. I don’t have need for lots of speed but there seems to be a strong leading towards the 150?

Additionally, is the in floor storage lockable ? I’m thinking of adding this option to my order. Also, with the slatted hatch, is it possible to get water into the center tube?

Thanks.

2. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

The 150 would be perfect. The in-floor storage does not lock and it can get water inside. There is a bilge pump in it for that reason.

dannyleininger likes this.
  3. Remediation

Remediation Well-Known Member

Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
    You probably will not be happy with the 115HP. it really struggles with heavier loads. Upgrade the engine before the in floor storage.

Michiman, mrob, lakeliving and 2 others like this.
  4. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

I agree 1000% with Bruce. Add hp before in floor storage. I had a 115 too, sold it after 3 months of use and went with a 200. Night and day difference and the 150 and 200 are actually pretty close.

dannyleininger, mrob and cwag911 like this.
  5. adkboater

adkboater Well-Known Member

Yeah..... what they said! ;)

6. mrob

mrob Active Member

I am the guy who thinks of resale down the road. I think a 150 will help when that time comes. My 2 cents worth.

dannyleininger, Michiman and Link like this.
  7. mattb

mattb Well-Known Member

I think of wide open throttle, I know a 150 helps there.;)

dannyleininger and adkboater like this.
  8. dannyleininger

Wow! I did not expect six straight replies favoring the 150 over though 115. Greatly appreciate the input. I am now negotiating with my wife, I will let you know how it goes. In actuality the Delta is about $4000 for the non-Vmax version of the 150.

Thanks for all of your replies. :D

9. goldnrod24

goldnrod24 Moderator

I'm another who wasn't satisfied with an Express Tube/115. I now have a SPS/150 and wish I had equipped one that way first.

10. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

I totally echo what everyone above said. If you can make the numbers work, go right for the 150. Seems like lots of people regret the 115 choice, whereas I never hear anyone with a 150 or more disliking their engine/performance.

That said, if a 150 cannot work in the budget, a 115 on an SPS set up would be a fine boat vs. not getting a boat at all.

Also, like many here, we have the center storage in our SPS set up. The in floor storage does not lock. It does get damp/wet, but there is a bilge pump to take care of it.

11. Link

Link Moderator

I am a slow cruiser, usually about 12mph and don't do too much top end but I still deeply regret buying the 115 to save a few thousand. If I had it to do over I would definitely get the 150

dannyleininger and Michiman like this.
  12. JPeraino

JPeraino Member

I have a 22SSRX on order. I originally was going to order the SPS with a 115. Two dealers said that I should forget the 115 and get the 150. I think you will be happy if you upgrade to the 150.

13. dannyleininger

I am meeting with our dealer tomorrow to modify our build. It’s only money! The joy I anticipate sharing our Benny with my family and friends will be priceless. I had the fun of telling a great friend about our upcoming purchase. She seemed politely interested...then I showed her a photo of our model...she went nuts! I’m convinced her mental picture of a “pontoon” boat wasn’t very exciting. But seeing what a Benny could be sent her over the top. She actually asked us to start planning a trip in January. :))

Vikingstaff and lakeliving like this.
  14. Mike31406

Mike31406 Well-Known Member

Go with the 150 you will not regret it. I no longer hear the grandkids say “go faster.” We also added the power steering and love it.

dannyleininger and Vikingstaff like this.
  15. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

I went from the 90 Yammy on a 20' to the 150 on my 24'. Wow! What a difference. I wouldn't have stopped at the 115. My wife wanted certain things on the new boat, and she knew that I wanted 3 toons and a 150. We never thought about getting anything less. You'll love that 150. I easily get 37 MPH with my wife, my dog, and me, then all of the stuff that is loaded on the vessel. Almost all of the storage compartments are full. I realize that I could probably get 40 MPH if I had the SPS package, but I'm very satisfied.

16. dannyleininger

This is getting fun! Met w our dealer to add a few more upgrades. Yamaha F150, upgrade to Premium, In Floor Storage, 2 Helm Seats to replace the Fishing Chairs. Just hoping my wallet survives!!

17. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

Smart move!!!! You won't regret it one bit!

18. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

Your wallet will probably regret it, but you sure wont when you are out on it. :D

19. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

Do it right the first time and you are pretty safe from PADS.

20. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

Semper, think about that last statement you made. Do you really believe that? :D

lakeliving likes this.