23 GSB with 90hp Yamaha

Jamied

Reaction score
Super pumped to close on a 23 GSB tomorrow! There are a couple options I’d like some feed back to see if they are worth it.

1. Extended warranty? Yamaha has 3 years... extend it?

2. Thinking about individual seat covers? Cost is $2100 but we are worried we might get too lazy to put the whole Bimini cover on every time. Our model has two captains chairs so we thought it would be easier just to take those off for the quick trips around the lake.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome ! Well here we go ( your gonna catch a lot of $hit) for going with only a 90 Hp.I think members will be saying to scrap the seat covers and go for more Hp.Do you have a lift with a Canopy ?And if you are "super pumped" then stay that way and cover your new Bennington every time.

There's a couple with a Benny on our lake. They only unroll about a third of the cover to have dinner and take a quick cruise. You might consider trying that first. You can always get seat covers later.

You made a good decision buyIng a Bennington and joining this group. How do you intend to use your new boat? If you intend to do any water sports i don’t think you will be happy with 90 hp. Also consider resale. As a wise person in this group once said, “Buy your last boat first,” it really is cheaper that way.

I'm with Illinois ....Cover the whole boat every time. You won't be sorry! Pontoon or tritoon???

Congratulations on finalizing your boat. We have the Swingback layout and love it. Hope you enjoy yours too. Once you get the boat, you’ll have to share the details of your order and pictures. We all love gawking at everyone’s new boats. :cool:

Thoughts about your questions:

(1) If you get a great price on the extended warranty, then sure. However, I am not sold on them with marine motors. If not being give a great price, maybe not.

(2) I wouldn’t drop that kind of money on the individual furniture covers. Once you get used to putting the full mooring cover on, it isn’t too bad. I had the same concern about getting lazy about it as you, but it only takes me 5-10 minutes total by myself. Knowing the difference it makes, I always put it on.

If you only use furniture covers, you leave a lot of your boat and materials exposed to the elements - it will age quickly. I’d save that $2,100, or invest it elsewhere on the boat.

(3) I do not know the details of the “appearance package” on the G-series. On the S-series, it is called the “premium package“, and we thought it was worth it. It really upgraded a lot of features in regards to quality of materials and aesthetics. Based on how much we like it on our boats S-series, I’d personally add the appearance upgrade onto a G-series if I were getting one.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new ride. It’s going to be great.

Posted this a while back, First use the mooring cover rather than individual seat covers. Don't look at covering your boat as a chore. When KP and I return to the dock she heads on up to the house and I cover the boat alone. The music is still on and I am either enjoying my beer or pop a fresh one.

I take the mooring cover out from under the helm where it is stored. I unroll it down the center of the boat knowing the front is in the bow and the back in the stern because I roll it up and put it under the helm the same each time. I start at the back and work my way 2/3 up one side then the other. I turn off the radio and enjoying the quiet as I look over the lake and take in the setting sun. Being a 2012 I only have buttons but I lube them when needed and they snap fine. With only the bow to close I crawl under and set my poles, once back out a few sips of beer are required to cool off as I dangle my legs in the water. I button up the bow knowing my girl is protected. It shows as my 2012 still looks brand new

Posted this a while back, First use the mooring cover rather than individual seat covers. Don't look at covering your boat as a chore. When KP and I return to the dock she heads on up to the house and I cover the boat alone. The music is still on and I am either enjoying my beer or pop a fresh one.

I take the mooring cover out from under the helm where it is stored. I unroll it down the center of the boat knowing the front is in the bow and the back in the stern because I roll it up and put it under the helm the same each time. I start at the back and work my way 2/3 up one side then the other. I turn off the radio and enjoying the quiet as I look over the lake and take in the setting sun. Being a 2012 I only have buttons but I lube them when needed and they snap fine. With only the bow to close I crawl under and set my poles, once back out a few sips of beer are required to cool off as I dangle my legs in the water. I button up the bow knowing my girl is protected. It shows as my 2012 still looks brand new
Link, I set the poles as I put the top on. I do the rear and side snaps on both sides till I get to the rear most pole. Put the pole in, it will stay in place from the tension of the cover that is snapped. Work your way forward installing poles as you go. I have not crawled under the cover for years except when we get on the ferry in Canada. There I have to lower the Bimini from trailer and lower the poles to stay under 8'6". Enjoy your beer with no crawling.

I’m guessing but that 90hp is going to max out somewhere in the high teens or 20’s. For a small lake that might be fine, but plan on moving anytime in the future? Using on another body of water? Resale is going to be tough but you may not care - no point in spending $$ on a bigger motor if you never intend on using the extra power or sell the boat anytime soon. You could always upgrade the motor later on.

I’ve posted this before. This will be our 8th summer. We are on a 400 acre lake with a 50 hp. Don't do water sports, Just slow cruising and some fishing. Also don’t travel to other lakes. We didn’t buy planning to sell later to go bigger. Have been very satisfied with our choice and can get to high teens speed if “in a hurry“ for some reason. I say buy for your planned uses. We did buy the extended warranty on the motor so it matched the boat warranty at the time. Only had anyone out one time and that was for a fuel line issue in the first year we bought it (and they came 340 miles from our dealer).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback!

I stuck with the 90 after a lot of debate. My lake is only 200 acres and I have a scarab jet boat for water sports. I passed on the individual seat covers but I’m looking at a boat lift with a cover.

I hope to have the boat delivered next week and I will definitely post pics!

Thanks again!

Good job ! It pays to do some homework before buying. Boat lift with a canopy very good idea. There is alot of good knowledge on this Forum. The only Dumb Questions are the ones that aren't asked! Good Luck!

Good choice Jamied. While I'm the perfect example of why you should buy the bigger motor first (I bought a 115 and later traded it for a 150), I still believe in buying only what you need.

I also believe it's not how much you make, it's what you keep that's important.

Anyway, I think you made the right choice, for whatever that's worth.

My first Benny was the 20’ with a 90. Top speed was 27 with two adults. We upgraded in two years to a 24 with a 150. We have a 33,000 acre reservoir, and we pull ours to other lakes as well as the Gulf of Mexico several times a year. Congrats to you! Enjoy.

Back