24 SLI Express

sweetwater

Reaction score
I have a brand new 24 SLI tritoon express with a yamaha 150 4 stroke and for the first time since we have owned it we put 6- people on it last weekend and 2- of them were large adults in the bow seats and 4 other adults in the rear and the boat would not perform, could not plane off and appears that the motor was ventilating or something grabbing air as it has felt the same with just me on board periodic slippage of the prop and air maybe, possibleproblem eginering with the ceter toon being so far forward ? but the boat is no good to me if I cant take people out and get up and go, I hope I didnt buy Grandpa's party barge. Anyone with any of these experiences

I don't know what the total weight for your passengers was, which was the first thing you mentioned.

I also don't know if it felt the same or just similar with you alone in the boat.

That means I'm guessing.

Having said that, a 150hp engine is going to feel a lot like a 50hp engine if you load the boat too heavy.

Having said THAT, you may not have the right prop.

Here's where you start: Get in the boat with no passengers, and when you get into open water, open up the throttle all the way. The tachometer should hit the max rpm but not go past it.

If it wants to rev past the redline, you need more prop. If it can't GET to the redline, you need less.

It get's a wee bit complicated after that, but one issue at a time.

Is that one of the Yamaha's with a 20" shaft length? if so, or even if not, it sounds like what happens when the engine is mounted too high on the transom. A few extra people brings the front down, and the rear up a bit which will allow ventilation of the prop if the engine is too high. The cavitation plate when trimmed down should be at or just a tiny bit above the bottom of the transom for a normal boat or toon. Higher on the transom can be faster, but with some drawbacks. Another thought would be if you have a prop with the vent holes in front of the blades. While that helps accelleration on some units, it can cause too much slip if it doesn't match the load or usage of the boat.

Personally, I do not understand the engineering of the added on toon in front of the normal engine transom splash thing. (not sure what they call a pontoons mounting water diverter/transom). Seems like a it might allow alot of extra slash and water thrown around at higher speeds.

Hi Sweetwater and welcome to the forum. The Yamaha 150 can come in either the 20" or 25 " shaft. I hope you don,t have a 20" shaft motor on 25" transon :eek: . We need alittle bit more info. What is your rpms at WOT? What pitch prop are you running? Is your motor mounted all the way down? I have a 150 with ESP and I am running a 15 pitch. With 5 to 6 avg size people on board I can still break 30 mph.

I have a brand new 24 SLI tritoon express with a yamaha 150 4 stroke and for the first time since we have owned it we put 6- people on it last weekend and 2- of them were large adults in the bow seats and 4 other adults in the rear and the boat would not perform, could not plane off and appears that the motor was ventilating or something grabbing air as it has felt the same with just me on board periodic slippage of the prop and air maybe, possibleproblem eginering with the ceter toon being so far forward ? but the boat is no good to me if I cant take people out and get up and go, I hope I didnt buy Grandpa's party barge. Anyone with any of these experiences
Please message us with the name of your dealer and we'll help him get you straightened out. Need to trouble shoot prop, engine mount position, etc. Thanks TB

Hi Sweetwater, welcome to the Club! New boats are shipped without the engine and prop, the dealer is responsible for installation and proper setup. So [say it with me!] you should have a talk with your dealer first :) After they get the setup right, then you can explore different props to tweak a bit more performance out of your setup. EDIT: T-B, you beat me to the punch line!

Last edited by a moderator:
we tested this set up...24SL Express with a 150 Yamaha, 15p Reliance prop, engine positioned in hole #1 (all the way down). Boat responded well to trim, no ventilation issues. Spray increases behind the engine as speed increases over 20 mph. (typical)

Please message us with the name of your dealer and we'll help him get you straightened out. Need to trouble shoot prop, engine mount position, etc. Thanks TB
Thank you for your response. The Bennington Dealer is Top Notch Marine in Fort Pierce,Florida, we dropped the boat off on Sunday in hopes of solving this problem. Please contact Stan as we explained our frustrations in detail to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully the tubes are ok, My local dealer told me about a similar problem you described with a brand new pontoon they sold a couple years ago and come to find out one tube had a small hole in it and took on water and was just too heavy to plane out.They were trying to trouble shoot it when someone noticed it was sitting a bit off kilter in the water thats when the lights came on.

My last Benny a 2007 2275 gl express triple tube fully straked both sides of all 3 tubes with 150 would plane out great even with 10 adults and gear on it with ease. You could tell there was a healthy load on it but it just took a bit more speed to get up on plane.

Sweetwater - Please post the end of this story when you get a chance. I for one would REALLY like to hear what happened.

Does your boat have strakes?

Hmmmm, Maybe that you will need to add strakes to the outside so you can get up on plane.

Hmmmm, Maybe that you will need to add strakes to the outside so you can get up on plane.
My thoughts as well. Not going to get on plane with a single straked 25 " tube with a bigger load.

TB did a little follow up tonight (crazy workaholic, when can TB go boating?). Anyway, the boat was taken to the dealer and a new prop was installed with great success. Boat now performs properly, according to our RSM.

For the record, an express tube package includes a center tube with strakes. Strakes are Then OPTIONAL on the outer tubes. This would help with additional bow lift and planing ability. Our test video (see VIDEOS under SHOPPING TOOLS) on the Bennington website, clearly states optional lifting strakes on the test boat.

Back