25 QSRFBA Power Options

AGator

Reaction score
Hello! I am in the process of trading my 254 Chaparral for a 25 QSRFBA. It comes with the Triple Tube ESP and power hydraulic assist steering. The primary use is for 5 people on Lake Murray - occasional tubing and cruising. My question is, power and what size Yamaha engine. It is currently priced with a 200 Yamaha SHO. Would you go to a 225 or 250 or higher? Thanks for your help!

The Q is a very heavy boat at 3300 pounds. I believe that it will support up to 400HP. I think that he 200 is nice for cruising but that the 300 would be worth the extra money

The Q is a very heavy boat at 3300 pounds. I believe that it will support up to 400HP. I think that he 200 is nice for cruising but that the 300 would be worth the extra money
Thank you for the reply! It is a heavy boat. Thanks for pointing that out. With that, you have me thinking that I need to seriously consider more power.

I agree with Link, a boat that size (and stature) would warrant more horsepower. You’ll never see the true performance of that hull with a 200hp due to the additional weight. I’m the one on here to push for all the hull will hold but I think you’re doing a boat like that injustice with 200hp. I would think 300hp would be a great compromise if you’re not tying to squeak every mph out it. Plus the ability to sell will greatly improve with 300 over 200. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I originally wanted the Yami 300 V-6 until I took a demo ride with the 350. My wife even said get the bigger motor. Though most of my boat time is cruising at 25-30, it's nice having that extra headroom. Tubing and wake boarding with the 350 is even easier than with my Malibu wakeboard boat (that the Benny replaced). I'm glad I got the biggest motor I could when I ordered the boat and looking back now it doesn't really seem like a big deal.

I have a 200hp on my SPS SXP. It’s a great motor on my s-series with my hull design. That said, my s-series is MUCH lighter than a Q series (which, is awesome, and congrats on looking into getting one). :D

I would absolutely agree with all of the above comments on going bigger - ideally much bigger! You would totally do the ESP on a Q series a deservice with a 200hp. You would not really get to utilize it as designed on that heavy of a pontoon.

I would see the 300hp as a good compromise. I think that would be enough to really use that ESP and Q-series. IF you could go bigger, then go for it as those with experience above have said. The more HP you pair with an ESP Q series, the more grins you’ll have. Or so I’ve heard. ;)

The spec sheet for our GCW 2574 shows a hull weight of 3298 LBS paired with a 250 Verado. While I have no complaints about its performance (top speed of about 40 MPH), I would not go any lower and perhaps would go to a 300 if I were to do it over again. That said, ours is definitely peppy even with a dozen people on board.

I originally wanted the Yami 300 V-6 until I took a demo ride with the 350.

I was just on the boat builder and the 350 has been removed from the Yamaha options list. 300 is the highest horsepower they are currently offering.
I guess they can't make the 350's fast enough.

Interesting. Maybe Yamaha is coming out with a new motor or something.

Don't know if true but I've read the hurricane season put
Interesting. Maybe Yamaha is coming out with a new motor or something.
a real hurt on the offshore guys and Yamaha can't keep up with demand for the v-8's

I was told by my dealer all larger Yamaha’s are in very short supply this year. I was going for a 250 SHO and had to settle for the regular 250 as it would have been mid summer for the SHO.

+1 for get all the motor you can. On a Q price tag even a $7k difference in a bigger motor will be nominal to payment and will increase both enjoyment and residual value. Just my opinion.

My buddy has the 225 SHO and it performs very well. Nice motor. The only issue he ever has with it is the dark cover water spots very easily. But, obviously it's exceptionally hot out here and our lake water is extremely hard. He has to keep it well waxed and wiped down after every trip. Other than that it purrs like a kitten.

Back