250 hp motors

Sanity3

Reaction score
Looking for input from anyone that has information on the pros or cons on Mercury and Yamaha motors. I boat on Lake Cumberland. I've heard that service for Yamaha is hard to find on the lake.. Also heard that Yamaha has oil seal problems. So I'm hoping you all can help. I have never owned or operated an outboard motor so any advice you can share will be appreciated.. I am so looking forward to this spring and my new bennington.

The 250SHO had the oil leak problem but it has been updated/fixed. Either one is a good choice.

Sanity3,

I am sure others will chime in with comments.  I own a 2010 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke on a 2010 22' SFI.  I bought my rig used with only 10 hours on the motor.  This past summer I replaced the water pump, engine oil, filter, and lower unit oil for the first time.  I took the boat into a dealer for the 20 hr service required by Yamaha.  Tech said the engine had 24 hours on it.  So far so good with no problems of any kind.  The 4 strokes are very quiet.  Both Mercury and Yamaha make good motors.  I wouldn't worry about service on a Yamaha as most dealers will service all makes.  Just make sure they are qualified to service under warranty if needed.  You will be happy with either motor. 

Best of luck and enjoy your rig.  You will turn heads with a Bennington.

Won't go wrong with either Yamaha or Mercury.  Suggest if that are your two choices from the dealer who will service it to go with the one he sells the most

I won't go into the exact details but my dealer has both Mercury and Yamaha. What made my decision for me was comparing warranty for both side by side and the opportunity to get an extended warranty for the Yamaha. I would have been happy with either one. I also know of a couple of Yamaha dealers around Cumberland.

We have a 90 hp mercury with 41 hrs. so far and no issues,the first service is at 100 hrs. or one year as per dealer.We also got a extended warrantee for a total of seven years at no extra charge.In the past we did have a Yamaha 50 and did not have any issues over 2 years.Like everybody has said they are both good motors...good luck

I understand where you are coming from. I had both options available when I ordered my RCW 2375. I went with the Yamaho SHO. Mercury's 250 Verado is a high tech motor. I think it's a "fly by wire" motor, and as such, it takes a qualifed, trained person to work on it. There are not alot of those Mercury guys around my area. I have a REALLY GOOD boat mechanic that I've used for 15 years, he recomended the Yamaha saying that if I did have problems on the water that I would probably be able to find someone that could work on the Yamaha. I've seen some posts out there talking about problems with the SHO but nothing that is constant and most of the minor stuff has been fixed. I feel confident with the SHO. Don't get me wrong, the Mercury is on the cutting edge and I have not seen any complaints out there. One other thing..... The Yamaha SHO just looks BAD ASS!!!!

You're cracking me up there Jared! Do you have a Taurus SHO by chance...seems to be in your blood.

Nope, closest thing I owned was 1986 Mercury Sable... now that's plain odd. MERCURY Sable... Ford Taurus SHO... what a coinkydink. ( I can't spell coincidence, that's why I used coinkydink...DOH spell check worked!) I'm going to thread-jacking... but, I am on topic I guess.

Horse for horse, the Yamahas are more expensive than Mercury, right?  Expect maybe for the Verados with all their fly by wire controls.  However the Verados all have built in power steering pumps (correct me if I'm wrong on that), so you don't have to buy an external PS pump. 

The main deciding factor, in my book, is where you plan to service the motor after you buy it, and which brand they are the most qualified to work on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only had my boat for 18 months but can say that I am very happy with the Yamaha F-250.  It performs well in all circumstances - cruising, WOT running, pulling tubes and boards, etc. and is very quiet.  Perhaps I am partial to the F-250 (because I also drive one) but it has been great so far!  The only experience I have had with Mercury is with their I/O motor and it was also a very good motor so you probably can't go wrong with either choice.

Jack

Back