250 hp motors

Sanity3

Reaction score
Looking for input from anyone that has information on the pros or cons on Mercury and Yamaha motors. I boat on Lake Cumberland. I've heard that service for Yamaha is hard to find on the lake.. Also heard that Yamaha has oil seal problems. So I'm hoping you all can help. I have never owned or operated an outboard motor so any advice you can share will be appreciated.. I am so looking forward to this spring and my new bennington.

The 250SHO had the seal problem but they have been updated/fixed. Either one is a good choice.

I know for a little more you can extend a Mercury warranty for 5 or 7 years .

I had the 7 year Platinum Coverage ( on my trade in ) it was less than $400.00 

I am also putting it on my new order .

Thanks for the info.. Glad to Yamaha got the oil seal problem fixed. Good suggestion on the extended warranty I'll look in to it.

Yamaha does have a fix, I blew mine at LOTO. Loooooong story.

If I had to do it again (and I might) I'd research local motor dealers first for all the motor manufactures (Yamaha, Mercury, ETEC, Honda, even Seven if there was one close). Selecting one that has a highly ranked service department. Example, I bought my boat and motor at one (Bennington) dealer. Through my "challenges" I learned a yamaha dealer (non-Bennington) closer to me is a higher rated dealer than my Bennington dealer. I would also weigh heavily on them being on my lake. If I have to get my boat routinely serviced I typically have to take a day to get it done during the week. No, boat no lake time.

From what I have been through and what I have learned. For me in my area, I would be looking at Yamaha and Mercury.

Check to see which brand motor has a really good dealer in your retail market. Go with them if the price is reasonable.

And be sure to get as long of a warranty as you can get--even if you have to pay extra. Both are great motors, as is the regular Yamaha F250 (not the VF250.)

I am new to Bennington as well and I ordered my 2014 RSR December 27th from lookout marine on lake cumberland. I wend with the Mercury 250  primarary due to he services them and is one of the largest on the lake for Mercury.

We are hoping for delivery in Mid March hope to see you on the lake this summer.

Both are top notch motors. I test drove both and loved the drive by wire and power steering system on the merc best. Supercharger is smooth with a ton of midrange power.

Both are top notch motors. I test drove both and loved the drive by wire and power steering system on the merc best. Supercharger is smooth with a ton of midrange power.
After talking with WillB I also bought the Verado 250 Pro and absolutely love it for all the same reasons above. I drove a boat with the Yamaha SHO and it was fantastic too. You can't go wrong here, but make sure your dealer service is top notch for whatever you buy.

+4 on the comment Rocky made and others followed.  I bought our boat from a dealer so far away the boat will never go back unless it absolutely HAS to for warranty work.  I got the motor that the local shop was top rated on.

I am new to Bennington as well and I ordered my 2014 RSR December 27th from lookout marine on lake cumberland. I wend with the Mercury 250  primarary due to he services them and is one of the largest on the lake for Mercury.

We are hoping for delivery in Mid March hope to see you on the lake this summer.
We have our Bennington serviced at Lookout and have been pleased with their work.  You made a great choice in Brand and dealer. 

Back